Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Fixed Wireless Access Trial in Tuam??

• 24-05-2005 10:19am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Are Eircom 'trialing' or offering pilot services in places for the fixed wireless access (FWA) product they have been reluctant to offer up till now?

FWA was offered on a free trial to people living in an area about 3/4 miles outside Tuam recently by a Eircom rep.
    I called them up and they said that it was a pilot scheme/service - and that to qualify, they selected people who were likely to use the service - presumably, people who already had dialup internet accounts??
    This doesnt make much sense as I know of one case where they have installed the wireless gear and its a new connection.

Basically, I want to get my hands on this service. Its clear that I can get it as the next door neighbours have it.
    Q1. Can they refuse to connect me - even if I am prepared to pay the monthly sub and do without any 'free trial'?

Q2. Do I have to keep my landline if i avail of eircoms FWA product?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they already have a 512/64 FWA product, what are they offering in Tuam ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 88 ✭✭puma5k

I check this out a year ago for a Business in Claregalway and it was this:

You receives at 1Mbps or 512kbps and then it send it up thru the 64k ISDN line!!

They came out and did a LOS test, No equipment! with them only for a Hit 4 Hire and a pair of Binoculars !! If they could the Mast you passed

No they couldn't see the Mast and we didn't get it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 cpark100

Sponge Bob wrote:
    they already have a 512/64 FWA product, what are they offering in Tuam ?
    Someone was supposed to ring me back but (surprise surprise) didn't.
    I can only assume its the same product - but maybe they gave a couple of free months or trial.
    Assuming it is the 512/64 FWA product, does anyone have a phone number or email address for someone in eircom who would deal with this in particular (and be in a position/be willing to sort it out)??

You receives at 1Mbps or 512kbps and then it send it up thru the 64k ISDN line!!
    Sent back via ISDN? Correct me if i'm wrong but is that not just stoopid? Is this a method for retaining line rental?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Try HERE for info.
    Theres no mention of ISDN.

Someone rang back and left a message saying that people in the area were selected for the service based on their internet useage (my account would have shown up with no internet account).

My translation of this is that they see people who spend a lesser amount of time online as the ones they should try and keep on dial-up - as this will be the most profitable way to go about things in the medium term :mad:

Is this not a total farce - Only in Ireland could you be told that your moneys no good - the service for which your quite happy to pay - we won't make it available because you don't spend enough hours online :eek:

Who do I need to speak to - to sort this out?

Oh - and just out of curiousity, are there any of you on Eircoms Fixed Wireless Product - and if so, can you give a general indication as to where you are based?
    Did Comreg ever give in - to forcing them to publish details of where they had Wireless coverage around the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

I think a city blockade taxi driver style calling for the CEO or director of Eircom to to resign or agree to action within one month is whats called for .

Shooting is too risky ....

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I've got Eircom's fixed wireless ISDN, and it took me the better part of two years to get it. I wouldn't touch their wireless "broadband" product with a bargepole - 64k upstream? Shyeah.

oscarBravo wrote:
    I've got Eircom's fixed wireless ISDN, and it took me the better part of two years to get it. I wouldn't touch their wireless "broadband" product with a bargepole - 64k upstream? Shyeah.
    Well, in the absence of any other product except for ISDN, would it not be better?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Speaking for myself, no. I was never given the option of Eircom's FWA broadband, but if I had - given the exorbitant install cost, high monthly cost and pathetic upload speed - I would have stuck with flat-rate ISDN.

Advertisement