Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Up and running on a scooter?

Options
  • 24-05-2005 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

How much would it cost approximately to get a decent scooter and insurance/tax and all the rest? Second hand and New would be good. Just looking for a ballpark-figure.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭delanest

Scooter 2000
    Insurance (provisional) (300 - 2000 depending on age)
    Tax 50
    Helmet (100 - 500 depending on how much
    your head is worth)
    Gloves 40

extras reccomended (rain gear)

Padded Biker Jacket 200
    Padded teflon trousers 120
    Boots 100
    + petrol + servicing

very ball park figures, would'nt go less than a grand or four years for a moped though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

How much would TP insurance cost on a 49cc scooter for a 54 yo man approx? less than €200?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

have a play on www.hiberniandirect.ie and it'll give you a quote....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

sorry to hi-jack the thread, but what are the license requirements for a scooter?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

"M" category. If you have a full B (car) licence, you get this thrown in for free.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Some other stuff you might want to buy:-
    High Visibility Vest (one of dem flourescent ones) - 10-20 euro
    Lock and chain - 60+ for a good one
    Disk brake lock
    2 stroke oil - 8-13 euro a bottle
    Top box
    Open type back carrier.

Try Carol Nash Insurnace (freephone 1800 298 550) for bikers insurance.
    or go with AON, only available through a dealer shop when you buy a bike there (AON are Hibernian I think)

mopeds = anthing up to 49cc
    scooters = 50cc and up towards 450cc and more...

Mopeds and Scooters can be either automatic or geared, in which case they usually have 4 gears and a clutch lever on the left handle bar. Bikes can be mostly plastic bodied or full metal framed. For keeping up with Dublin traffic and less stressful driving, I would recommed a Vespa px125cc or px200cc geared scooter.

The only bike you can legally drive with out getting another licence is a 49cc moped providing you hold a FULL Irish car licence!! For everything else you need to apply for a provisional licence in the correct catogery. I've heard anecdotely of one idiot who is driving around on a 125cc scoooter on a PROVISIONAL car licence. Well thats his insurance invalidated for a start.

And we wonder why bike insurance is creeping upwards in this country of ours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

You could easily get a 2nd hand scooter in good condition for about €1000 i have mine about two years it cost €1700 but i bought it from a shop and it was less than a year old. Insurance when i was 19 was €720 and when i was 20 it was €690 and i just got a quick quote from that hibernian place and it quoted me €503

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Tomohawk wrote:
    The only bike you can legally drive with out getting another licence is a 49cc moped providing you hold a FULL Irish car licence!! For everything else you need to apply for a provisional licence in the correct catogery. I've heard anecdotely of one idiot who is driving around on a 125cc scoooter on a PROVISIONAL car licence. Well thats his insurance invalidated for a start.

Dude, the provisional license these days is for cars, mopeds and bikes of 125 cc or less. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Dont be under illusion, the roads are incredibly dangerous on a bike. This includes all other roads users, the terrible state of the roads and the weather, so please get youself some training!

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

Spogpean wrote:
    Dude, the provisional license these days is for cars, mopeds and bikes of 125 cc or less. :rolleyes:

Wrong. Read what Tomohawk said. A FULL B licence allows a person to ride a moped up to 49cc and a max speed of 45mkph. B licence includes M, and W (tractors, work vehicles)
    An A1 licence (motorcycle) allows the person to ride a bike/scooter up to 125cc. Power limit of 11kW applies.

Take a look at the licence form, top of page 3, "Catagories of vehicles/minimum age of driver"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Spogpean wrote:
    Oh mother of....

No wonder people haven't a clue, with everyone else giving disinformation as if they were 100% correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

what Spogpean means (I think) is that when you get a provisional licence it is generally in categories A, B, M, and W and therefore entitles you to drive a bike up to 125cc. It is the A part and not the B part that entitles you this.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

timaaaaay wrote:
    what Spogpean means (I think) is that when you get a provisional licence it is generally in categories A, B, M, and W and therefore entitles you to drive a bike up to 125cc. It is the A part and not the B part that entitles you this.
    You have to select each category specifically. I know some people do just tick all the boxes, but having a provisional for a car by no means entitles you to drive anything else.

(A entitles you to drive much bigger bikes than 125cc, even on a provisional).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Originally Posted by timaaaaay

Thats exactly what I meant.

My provisional license is for car, moped and bikes of 125cc or less. You get them all on the same license when you apply. And anyway, when I was getting insured I actually had to show my driver's license to the company before I signed the papers, so they DO check if you have an A1 / M license before they insure you.

Advertisement