Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intermeditary service to allow VPN over Satellite?

Options
  • 24-05-2005 10:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a friend who works from home and is moving to an area without broadband or even isdn! Just PSTN in their local exchange. Location is v rural.

The only solution seemed to be satellite but when they did the test, they have been told (by their companys IT ops & Satellite service provider) that Satellite has problems when dealing with VPN applications. I dont know whetever this is a latency issue or a port (direction, allocation) issue of some sort.

Anyways, I am wondering if there is some sort of portal services, etc whereby they would connect to this and it turn this would be responsible for sending/recieveing traffic between their VPN server. As far as the VPN server is concerned, there would be no latency issues from the source address and all is well.

Hard to explain but hopefully someone might be able to help!

Thanks, James.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

just throwing this out on the limb here..

But if there was a free Windows XP based machine in that network would it not be better just to use the remote desktop connect to acctually just connect to that computer and maybe get that computer to talk with your server?

Advertisement