Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

.IE domain question.

Options
  • 24-05-2005 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭

We have 2 products, and my boss wants me to register the .ie domain for both products (both are available). I've looked at the requirements, and it looks like I have 2 options...

1. Register a trademark for each product (works out at €247 per trademark).

-or-

2. Use a discretionary name (e.g. mail them a high quality brochure or promotional material to demonstrate significant investment in the project(s).)

From your experience in registering .ie domains, is option 2 a valid route in registering a domain for a software product, or should I go the TM route?

Any help appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I'd use the discretionary category to initially get the domains and then get the trademarks to protect the intellectual property.

Getting the domains under the discretionary category as limited company can be as simple as providing a signed letter on the company headed paper. Once you have the domains you will then have more time to organise the trademarks.

I would recommend the trademarks as it makes it a lot easier to defend yourself from 3rd parties registering domains simply to "squat" on them.

HTH

Michele

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

As Blacknight said its very easy nowadays to get product names etc under the discretionary category once your a limited company. Just fax in a letter including as much detail as you can as to why you want the domain and how it relates to your company and it should be fine.

Advertisement