Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

O'Neill set to resign; Strachan to replace him?

• 24-05-2005 1:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

Celtic manager Martin O'Neill will announce that he is leaving the club on Wednesday, BBC Sport has learned.

O'Neill's wife Geraldine is ill and it is thought that the 53-year-old will stand down after Saturday's Scottish Cup final to look after her.

His assistants John Robertson and Steve Walford will also depart the club.

It is thought his successor will also be named, with Gordon Strachan tipped for the post. A statement to the Stock Exchange will precede the announcement.

Celtic midfielder Stilian Petrov told Celtic TV: "It will be hard to see him go but everyone knows the reason.

"The gaffer has been great in his time with Celtic, with us and with the fans.

"I hope everything goes well for him and his family but, at the end of the day, it is his decision and he knows what is best."

O'Neill has been in charge at Celtic since June 2000.

However, his side relinquished their hold on the SPL title on Sunday as they lost 2-1 to Motherwell and Rangers beat Hibernian.

O'Neill has been linked with a move away from Parkhead virtually every year since he left Leicester City to go north of the border.

That was partly down to Celtic's success under him - they won the domestic treble in his first season, the title again in 2002, reached the final of the Uefa Cup the year after that and in 2004 achieved the league and cup double.

On Saturday they play Dundee United in the Scottish Cup final.

Strachan spent nearly five years in charge of Coventry, from 1996 to 2001, having initially been player-coach under Ron Atkinson.

However, the Scot was not out of football for long, as he was appointed Southampton manager in October 2001 following the unsuccessful seven-month reign of Stuart Gray.

Strachan spent just under two-and-a-half years with the Saints - leading them to the FA Cup final in 2003 - before announcing he was taking a break from football to have a hip operation.

O'Neill said after Sunday's defeat to Motherwell: "I have no comment to make on my future. This outcome does not come into my thoughts on my future."
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/4572091.stm

He broke the dominance of Rangers in the SPL and got the club to a UEFA cup final. While my heart wants him to stay, my head thinks his time is up. This time though my heart is overruling my head. :( I don't know what to think of Strachan taking over (it seems a very strong rumour), not the worst but not the type of manager that is going to get rid of all the deadwood at the club. And lets hope his wife gets better, thats more important than any sport and it shows his passion for the sport that he is taking so long to make a decision.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

This has been on the cards for a while now. Was a season or 2 ago he didnt go to the US or something for pre-season cause she was sick.....

Think Strachan will be a good replacement...has already worked with Hartson and Bellamy before so maybe could get Bellamy to sign but I think he will go back to PL.....

Anyway hope his wife get better!!!! talk of him only taking a season out so maybe there is something serious wrong and she wont recover????

Could be at Utd in a season's time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Strachan would do a good job for a team like Celtic imo, a good appointment if they get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,163 ✭✭✭Serbian

Big Nelly wrote:
    Talk of him only taking a season out so maybe there is something serious wrong and she wont recover?

She was diagnosed with Lymphoma.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

I have mixed views on strachan, what has he done or won in management,one of the reason for quitting Southampton was stress what the hell does he expect at Celtic, we need a manager to take Celtic to the next level in europe and if Martin leaves i can't see Strachan doing that.

Badabing wrote:
    I have mixed views on strachan, what has he done or won in management,one of the reason for quitting Southampton was stress what the hell does he expect at Celtic, we need a manager to take Celtic to the next level in europe and if Martin leaves i can't see Strachan doing that.

Wasnt it that he needed an operation on his leg or something so wanted to take a season off??? dont tink Stress was mentioned

Well he has done well at Southampton, kept them in PL and got to FA Cup Final........look at Southampton since he has left???

Not really sure if Celtic will ever be able to get to the next level unless they move into a bigger league....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

im a bit surprised that they didnt offer Paul Lambert a role... - even if it is Strachan's Assistant. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Em I don't want O'Neil at Utd in a years time thanks. He was great at Celtic but I don't want him to ever be Utd manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I'd want Moyes more than I'd want O'Neill.
    I just don't rate the SPL whatsoever, his achievements there mean nothing to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

eirebhoy wrote:

He broke the dominance of Rangers in the SPL

Thought Wim Jansen did that, gluck to Oneill shame he has to leave under those circumstances, but Strachan buggered inherits an aging team with no money.
    And the funny part the board and fans see themselves as one of the biggest and best clubs in the world.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

If Ferguson was to go, I'd want Frank Rijkaard.

• Advertisement

cheesedude wrote:
    If Ferguson was to go, I'd want Frank Rijkaard.

lol.....you want Rijkaard instead of O'Neill?????? explain! PLEASE

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Best of luck to him, more to life that football.

Celtic have called a press conference for noon where manager Martin O'Neill is expected to confirm his departure.

O'Neill is understood to have decided to step down to care for his ill wife Geraldine.

Former Scotland international Gordon Strachan, who left Southampton last year to take time out of management, is favourite to replace him at Celtic Park.

As Celtic are a plc the Stock Exchange must first be informed of any change of management and there has been no confirmation so far.

A club official confirmed an "announcement" would be made on the day O'Neill discussed what is expected to be his final game in charge, Saturday's Tennent's Scottish Cup final against Dundee United.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Gordon Strachan confirmed as the next manager according to Sky news...

Martin O'Neill has confirmed he will stand down as Celtic manager after the Tennent's Scottish Cup final, and will be replaced by Gordon Strachan.

O'Neill, who had been expected to make the announcement regardless of Rangers' final-day championship triumph, has confirmed he will take a year off from football to be with his wife Geraldine, who is ill.

Former Southampton and Coventry manager Gordon Strachan is widely expected to step in.

The Hoops threw away the Bank of Scotland Premier League title when they crashed to a late 2-1 defeat at Motherwell having led 1-0.

Rangers won the title thanks to a 1-0 win at Hibernian, which had seemed insufficient as their Old Firm rivals led at 1-0 until Scott McDonald's last-gasp brace turned the game on its head.

The defeat was a disappointing end to the former Northern Ireland international's managerial record at Parkhead, where he has won the league three times, the Scottish Cup twice and the league cup once since taking over in June 2000.

Last summer, O'Neill delayed his arrival for Celtic's pre-season tour of the United States to care for his wife

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

PHB wrote:
    I'd want Moyes more than I'd want O'Neill.
    I just don't rate the SPL whatsoever, his achievements there mean nothing to me

:rolleyes: and what league did Ferguson come from !!!

Anyway best of luck to Martin O'Neill I hope his wife gets better and I am sure Strachan will do a good job in Celtic, well the interviews will be interesting anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is a testimonial for McNamara coming up against the Irish team at the weekend. Is he not going to look after that?

Flukey wrote:
    There is a testimonial for McNamara coming up against the Irish team at the weekend. Is he not going to look after that?

Doesnt look like it....after Sunday he is gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Heard on the radio at 1 he would look after the tennants cup match and the testimonial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

yop wrote:
    Best of luck to him, more to life that football.

Absolutely, God bless Martin and Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

KdjaC wrote:
    And the funny part the board and fans see themselves as one of the biggest and best clubs in the world.
    Well, Celtic are undoutably one of the biggest clubs in the world. I've yet to meet a Celtic fan that thinks we're one of the best though. :)

Not overly excited with Strachan's appointment. I don't think we're going to be playing the most attractive football in the world judging by Strachan's best premiership XI this season (he seems big on youth though from listening to him on Football Focus):
    Best XI

Again I've excluded players from the top three: 4-4-2.

Nigel Martyn (Everton): Top performer and a big part of Everton's finishing fourth.

Tony Hibbert (Everton): Great engine and rarely beaten.

David Weir (Everton): Bags of experience and composure.

Sylvain Distin (Man City): Great in the air, gives balance on the left and scores the odd goal.

Franck Queudrue (Boro): Fantastic going forward, has improved defensively and calmed down.

Shaun Wright-Phillips (Man City): Has pace, scores goals and can go on to become world class.

Ivan Campo (Bolton): Can tackle, head and is a good user of the ball.

Michael Hughes (Crystal Palace): Brave on the ball, never gets rushed and hits good passes.

Darren Huckerby (Norwich): Unstoppable sometimes; plays from box to box and is a good crosser.

Andy Johnson (Crystal Palace): Bags of goals, good movement and great work rate.

Peter Crouch (Southampton): Has scored all sorts of goals, not only headers but nicely caressed volleys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

Be great to hear wee Gordans madcap post match interviews again, he is the King when it comes to baffling statements! :D

Advertisement