Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do BB providers throttle

• 24-05-2005 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭

I had UTV untill 10:00(AM) thgis morning and than the BT modem arrived so I made the switchover instantly. I was donloading something using edonkey via UTV and I used to get some 60 kbs and now with BT it does not go above 9-10 kbps. Do they limit the download via P2P programs or is it something else?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

Yes - some BB providers (Irish Broadband especially) throttle residential internet packages during the day to ensure their business customers get enough bandwidth. At night then, the bandwidth will often shoot up for res people.

But I wouldn't think that throttling would have as drastic as an effect as you say:
    Did you try resetting your modem?
    Are you sure you've hooked the Esat BT up exactly as the UTV was?

Of course - some providers will be faster than others for certain functions eg. ntl are much faster than eircom for transatlantic data. Could be just BTs link to wherever you are downloading from!

(Irish Broadband especially)

lies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Correct me if I am wrong here.

You have Boradband from utv which was active today? You received a router from BT and plugged it straight in to the same line?

I am not certain but I would imagine this is your problem. You are using UTV Broadband with BT Modem? The problem is most likely a configuration one. Cancel the UTV and wait until the BT connection is active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

No it said he had it untill 10. So by means it was disconnected.
    paulm17781 wrote:
    Correct me if I am wrong here.

You have Boradband from utv which was active today? You received a router from BT and plugged it straight in to the same line?

I am not certain but I would imagine this is your problem. You are using UTV Broadband with BT Modem? The problem is most likely a configuration one. Cancel the UTV and wait until the BT connection is active.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

No it said he had it untill 10. So by means it was disconnected.

Again correct me if I am wrong but you normally have to wait atleast 15 days before you can switch ISP. This is what UTV told me. I couldn't imagine utv disconnected him at 10.00 and he went live on IOL at 10.01.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭Kristok

if you recieved the bt modem then you must have already had your line changed over to bt already because afaik they wont send the modem out until the line has be switched over, would sound like youve just been on bt using the utv modem which would make no difference. As for your download speed your using a peer to peer network thats what happens for all you know the one person who had the file with a fast connection shut their computer off or had a limit on how many people could connect and you lost your place in a que or something along them lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Kristok wrote:
    if you recieved the bt modem then you must have already had your line changed over to bt already because afaik they wont send the modem out until the line has be switched over, would sound like youve just been on bt using the utv modem which would make no difference. As for your download speed your using a peer to peer network thats what happens for all you know the one person who had the file with a fast connection shut their computer off or had a limit on how many people could connect and you lost your place in a que or something along them lines.
    Not quite. I got my modem from BT a week before the line was active. Also, if he was using BT with the UTV modem then he would have to have changed his username/password in the router config before he could have logged onto BT's broadband. There should be downtime between connections regardless.

Perhaps you're still with UTV regedit? Check your NAT settings in the current modem are the same as the previous one anyway. That could be causing the slow down.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

jor el wrote:
    Not quite. I got my modem from BT a week before the line was active. Also, if he was using BT with the UTV modem then he would have to have changed his username/password in the router config before he could have logged onto BT's broadband. There should be downtime between connections regardless.
    Perhaps you're still with UTV regedit? Check your NAT settings in the current modem are the same as the previous one anyway. That could be causing the slow down.

I experienced no downtime.
    My only concern is that UTV is still "active" and that they will send me out a bill again! What happened is I gave BT a call on monday to ask abou the status of my BB "application". About a monthago I had signed the DTAF form and was curious to see what the story was. The salesperson told me that my line was activated on Friday (albeit, I was still connected to UTV). She said they had sent out a modem with SDS. I received the modem yesterday morning and connected it. Had a few minor glitches but everything went fine later on. Before the change, forgot to mention, I was downloading something with edonkey 2000. Although I had a slower connection, I was donloading at 50-60 kbs and now with BT Plus I only managed to get 3-15 kbs. I keep getting a message from the p2P program telling me: WARNING : Your 4662 port is not reachable. Please review your network config.
    I tried changing the ports but it was to no avail. I even turned off the firewall (Zone alarm security suite) but to no avail...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭JohnMorrissey

Sounds like you need to port forward. www.portforward.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭netman

Or your ISP is blocking port 4662. It's quite possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭regedit

Sounds like you need to port forward. www.portforward.com

Yes, Esat BT are blocking port 4662 which seems to be the proinciple port for most P2P. I sent them an e-mail this evening to ask for some explanations.
    I used this program to discover that the port was blocked.
    The emule site stated: If you use a router, make sure that your router forwards the required ports to your local IP!
    while edonkey2000 pro states: WARNING : Your 4662 port is not reachable. Please review your network config.
    I unserstand that I must makr my modem/router (Zyxel Presige 623R-T1 to forward 4662 to my local IP.
    Is anyone (who might experience the same problem) willing to put down a few words and explain how is this done.
    I did not want to oper a new thread so I hope this post will receive attention.
    TIA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Well if BT are throttling/blocking port 4662 then all the port forwarding in the world wont get you up to speed.

However if it helps, I found the following guide on PortForward.com for your modem (I'm only familiar with the Netopia models) http://www.portforward.com/zyxel/623R-T1-portforwarding.htm

In Step 5, put the port start at: 4662 and port end at: 4662.

To find your internal IP, type in IPCONFIG in the command prompt (Start > Run > type in cmd) and its the ip address in the section "ip address"

Advertisement