Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dell Inspiron 5150 Keyboard - F1 key came off!

• 24-05-2005 3:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

Somehow I managed to remove the F1 key from my 5150 while I was cleaning out some dust etc from the keyboard.

If you're not familiar with the underlying structure, there is a 'deckchair-like' plastic structure under the key that connects the key to the board...

Problem is though that its a major b1tch to get back on... No success yet after many attempts..

Anyone ever manage to get a key back on? What's the best way of doing it?

Thanks

T_E

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

the trick is to get "the deck chair" on first by sliding it towards you on the keyboard. make sure the big fins are on the bottom, then snap on your key

Hope this works,
    i have a broken R key and its held by bluetac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

As said the deck chair thingy. Well annoying isnt it. First check can the deck chair be seperated from the key its self (Some can not all) then put the deck chair in as explained above then just lightly push(may need little wiggle) the key back down onto the deck chair and you should hear a satisfying click.

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

I broke one of the legs of the deckchair... doh! Superglue time for the deckchair methinks... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

I broke one of the legs of the deckchair... doh! Superglue time for the deckchair methinks... :(

Ouch - another idea is to sacrifice a key you rarely use and use that deck chair and super glue the key ya dont use!

Nukem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

yeah thats what i was thinking alright... 'Pause / Break' button that i have never used... might do it with that one.

Also its for selling purposes as well, if i ever decide to do so in the future....

Thanks for the advice guys...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Nukem wrote:
    Ouch - another idea is to sacrifice a key you rarely use and use that deck chair and super glue the key ya dont use!

Nukem

Ive had to sacrifice 4 keys but on some of the keys the small metal clips are snapped, so i think ill have to ebay for a replacement keyboard for an Inspirion 9100 (not worth its WEIGHT in gold)

Advertisement