Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pioneer Head Unit not storing stations..

Options
  • 24-05-2005 4:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

My friend has a pioneer head unit in a 98 polo and it wont store any of the radio stations that are saved by him. I did do it right btw (Holding down the number you want to save to)
    but,when the key is taken out of the ignition the radio reverts to default, you have to retune the radio when it is turned back on. I am sure it is something to do with the wiring because it was not originally in the car. Probably a realy or something but is it easy to fix or not?

Thanks
    HAkko

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

When I bought my old 306 i had an upgraded radio installed and it had the same problem.
    I left it in and it turned out to be the wiring all right.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Probably the wiring. There should be two 12V power lines coming into the radio. One is switched, i.e. it goes on and off with the ignition switch which powers the radio itself, and the other is always at 12V regardless of the state of the ignition switch. This second one is what keeps the memory for the stations intact when you switch the ignition off. Maybe somethings come loose or fallen off behind the radio, or maybe a blown inline fuse in the permanent 12V power lead?

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭V1llianous

I just fitted a JVC in my Corolla and had the same problem. Was definately a power wiring issue as soon as I changed the cables it sorted it.

Get the manual off the web and it will give you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Cond0r

Yeah, look for the two positive wires in the back of the radio...

Yellow - Usually the switched power..
    Red - Usually the constant power..

I think this is correct, I'm sure i'll be corrected if I'm wrong though :)
    Also stress usually, as the colours may be different in every car. But you should be able to just switch the two and all will be fine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

had same thing a few years ago, and it was exactly that.

ended up using a line of the cigarette lighter socket as the constant power, as it's always got juice going to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

vibe666 wrote:
    ended up using a line of the cigarette lighter socket as the constant power, as it's always got juice going to it.
    Warning! This not always the case. I've had cars where the cigarette lighter socket was switched too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

before you go ripping out the stereo check your fuses :D that was the problem on mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'm having the exact same problem with my new Pioneer Stereo in a Polo. The red is the switch live and the yellow is the permanent live, I have it connected this way and it won't store the stations. I switched them around and the next morning I had a dead battery. Perhaps someone who has there's set up correctly can let us know which way they should be? Then all I have to solve is my rear speaker problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thank god for that it was like that on this polo also but i didnt change them,I must get the model number and check the wires...
    Hakko

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

You just need to switch the yellow and red cables around in the connector from the stereo to the ISO block. Mine's working perfect now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement