Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance "Covered to drive other private cars"

Options
  • 24-05-2005 4:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭

First time insured with Quinn-direct. I'm male, 22 and got TP F+T insurance in a 1.3 lt car and when lady on the phone asks me if I was satisfied with their quotation I kinda said, well I was hoping it would be a bit less, can you remove any extras, etc. Then she mentions I am covered to drive any other private car for no extra cost(don't know if this is a standard extra with QD??)

I ask her does the car have to be insured by someone else already (the only way I ever knew of this) and she says "No, not any more". :D

So can I really drive ANY car (taxed, obviously ;) ) and is there a limit on the length of time I could drive it for?

It will probably become clear when they post me my proposal form but if anyone can tell me now I'd be grateful :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sounds a bit odd.. considering you could insure yourself on a small car then get a Nissan Skyline or something and be covered in that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Best answer here is:
    Wait for your policy and read it.
    Policies differ all the time. My policy covers me to drive any car, but it MUST be insured under another policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

The Answer is Yes you can drive any car, any litre once its not Taxed in your name or insured but it has to be taxed and insured, I no two people who are driving skylines doing this. Your only covered 3rd party f+t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You are cover to drive another car that is tax and insured by a sperate person, if the tax ad insurance is up to date and you have thier permisson.
    If there is a claimible incedent while you are driving that car it is against your
    policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Saruman wrote:
    Sounds a bit odd.. considering you could insure yourself on a small car then get a Nissan Skyline or something and be covered in that :D
    No, as powerhousedan says. You cannot be the owner of the other vehicle, and it must be taxed. And if it's not insured, it technically can't be taxed. Some people have ways around it (transfer into a parent's name, insure for peanuts), but by and large you're on the dodgy side of shaky if you crash, no matter what the setup.

For the moment, best to stick by powerhousedan's definition.

If there's no insurance or tax on the car, or it belongs to you, your employer or your spouse, then don't drive it believing that you're covered.

Read your policy in full when you receive it. If you don't understand any part of it, ask them to clarify over the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

A car can be taxed without being insured. All thats needed to tax a car is a registration cert..

Dont need NCT cert
    Dont need Insurance cert

Just registration cert.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

The Answer is Yes you can drive any car, any litre once its not Taxed in your name or insured but it has to be taxed and insured, I no two people who are driving skylines doing this. Your only covered 3rd party f+t.

How about a car outside of the country?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

Thanks everyone for the replies but she DEFINITELY said that the other car doesn't need to be insured!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Chief--- wrote:
    A car can be taxed without being insured. All thats needed to tax a car is a registration cert..

Dont need NCT cert
    Dont need Insurance cert

Just registration cert.

Insurance details are definitely included on the tax renewal form (just renewed my own) - are you sure about this?

The gf is with quinn and they has the same but the car HAS to be insured, but you can temp transfer your insurance if it not insured, i would wait alright before though doesnt seem right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Chief--- wrote:
    Dont need Insurance cert

Just registration cert.
    Nope fancypants :p

Proof of insurance is definitely required.

http://www.oasis.gov.ie/transport/motoring/motor_tax_rates.html
    The following should accompany both forms when making an application:

* Vehicle Licensing Certificate
    * Current Certificate of Insurance

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Chief--- wrote:

Dont need NCT cert
    Dont need Insurance cert

Just registration cert.

I think you do need the car to be insured as when I taxed my car online it required I enter my insurance policy number before proceding. In the old days I remember going into the tax office and having to produce my insurance cert with the renewal form.

I wouldnt of thought so but i dunno?I would of tought it would have to be an irish car???
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    How about a car outside of the country?

eoin_s wrote:
    Insurance details are definitely included on the tax renewal form (just renewed my own) - are you sure about this?

It asks you for the details alright ie policy number/nct number but you do not need the certs...

I just taxed my borthers car by going into the tax office with only the renewal form / registration cert and the moola.

His insurance policy has expired but we still put the policy number in as he hopes to re-activate the policy soon, we also left the nct number blank as we didnt know it.

You do need the NCT cert dont you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

As I said:
    prospect wrote:
    Best answer here is:
    Wait for your policy and read it.

No just the number.

This is going off topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Chief--- wrote:
    It asks you for the details alright ie policy number/nct number but you do not need the certs...

I just taxed my borthers car by going into the tax office with only the renewal form / registration cert and the moola.

Yeah, I taxed online, so obviously didn't need any certs. Maybe I am being pedantic, but although you may not need to produce an insurance certificate, you are still required to provide a policy number - therefore the car does need to be insured?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

eoin_s wrote:
    Yeah, I taxed online, so obviously didn't need any certs. Maybe I am being pedantic, but although you may not need to produce an insurance certificate, you are still required to provide a policy number - therefore the car does need to be insured?
    Just taxed a car (first time for the car) last week - the girl told me they just have to put an insurer down on the form as I didn't have a policy number with me. If I couldn't give her the name of the insurer though - she wouldn't have been able to give me my disc.

Re the OPs question - it's all about whose car it is your driving. This is where your insurance company will try to wriggle out of a claim so be very careful. I wouldn't trust myself to be insured unless the car was a genuine loaner from a friend or relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭podgeen

it depends on the policy if the "other" car has to be insured.

My policy with hibernian does not required the other car to be taxed or insured, but my friends policy requires the other car to be insured by someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

You do need the NCT cert dont you?

God no! Thats why its such a joke! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The problem with this setup is that you as the non owner won't be able to tax it so everytime you take it out you leaving your self open to no tax charges.

Age diff and opening driving?

podgeen wrote:
    it depends on the policy if the "other" car has to be insured.

My policy with hibernian does not required the other car to be taxed or insured, but my friends policy requires the other car to be insured by someone else.

Advertisement