Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Phone Line + Smart Question

• 24-05-2005 4:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭

There is a telephone(coinbox,not being used) in the hallway 5 meters outside my flat which I want to use for Smart Broadband. I gave them the number and they said its bb ready on Ship Street exchange.

Now I need to move the line into my flat. Eircom will do this for 121.93. Is there any way I could do this myself, is there anything online about this or anyone out there who do it cheaper?Or am I stuck with Eircom?
    Heres a pic of the phone: pic here: http://img231.echo.cx/my.php?image=dsc021739eu.jpg . The wires on the left are from an old intercom.

I also need to get the phone switched on. What happens when I phone Eircom, ie do I just phone them up and ask them to switch the line on and thats that or do I have to open an account with them and then move it over to Smart.

thanks in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

Can't see any problem running a line from the phone poing to your flat.. I presume you have agreed this with the landlord. The only other thing to remember is to put a filter on the phone in the hall & on any others that may be connected to that line
    To phycially connect the cable you just need to run the cable from the old phone point to where you want the point in your flat. You only connect 2 cores into the phone jack box (usually to green & red) If you are unsure as to the pair the line is on this can be measured using a multimeter set to 200vdc.. you should get a line voltage of about 50-60 vdc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭replytohere2004

anyone willing to do this for me? Let me know how much you'd charge. I'm on the border of Dublin 2/8/6.

Or if anyone has any links showing me how this is done I might give it a go myself.

thks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

I'd sort it for you but am up to my B****X all next week PM me after that if your still stuck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 839 ✭✭✭zap

its really simple to do shouldn't take more than 5 mins. Just have a go yourself.

Advertisement