Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Access Thunderbird on Slave Drive; HELP, please!

• 24-05-2005 4:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭

Hi Folks.
    as my hands don't work properly, my techie brother kindly installed a new hard drive, leaving my original as a slave drive.
    I have been driven demented trying to follow the instructions on Thunderbird Help pages, Mozillazine.
    I badly need to be able to get at the mail on slave drive, and have managed to get the profiles folder and the Mozilla Thunderbird folders to my Desktop.
    Could someone be good enough to walk me through the process.
    I love my Firefox and Thunderbird, but it would help if all this were to be simplified.
    Sorry to be such an idiot.
    Thanks
    Wheelsofire

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Ok, the way I did it (way-back-when), whilst you can set up new accounts and just point back to the old mail location in the "Local Directory" setting for each account, it's not going to help if you want to retain all the original account settings. So what I did was....

Go to the Mozilla profiles directory

(under win2k this is typically : "\\Documents & Settings\User\Application Data\Mozilla\Profiles\user\random letters.slt\")

Find a file called prefs.js and then make a back-up copy in another directory. Do NOT overwrite this in case you need to revert in a hurry.

Then open the file in notepad. Take some time to read through it and figure out what is what and then edit what you need to edit.

eg.
    user_pref("mail.*)

Most of what you'll need to edit will start with that above text

Just remember that when you're putting in directorys to include a \\ instead of a \

eg.

user_pref("mail.server.server7.directory", "D:\\folder\\file");

I'm sure there's far easier ways of doing it though.

Advertisement