Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

EirtaKon - DCU Anime Con

• 24-05-2005 5:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭

I'd like to inform you guys about EirtaKon, a large anime con taking place in Dublin this November.

The convention will be taking place in Dublin, on the Dublin City University's campus, between Friday 11th till Sunday 13th of November. Price wise it will be 10 euro for a full weekend ticket or 6 euro for a day's enterence. There will be free refreshements throughout the convention - or at least till they run out :) Also depending on number the convention tshirt may be included in this price ;)

To get this off with a bang we have enlisted the aid of as many groups around Ireland as we could think of! Each will be adding a little to the convention and some running mini games - so if you've grown bored of hours of anime there will be _something_ that wil lnterest you :) Currenly participating we have

DCU Anime & Manga Soc - (The society who'll be hosting the event)
    DCU Japanese Soc
    DCU Games Soc
    DCU STOCS
    Eirtaku.com
    Anime.ie
    Trinity DUCSS
    CIT Anime Soc
    UCD SF Soc
    DIT SF Soc
    Maynooth's Omega Soc
    Belfast Queen's Dragon Slayers

Event wise we have screenings, ofcourse, themed rooms ( 'old school' ) and special screenings - to sum up, LOTS of anime, from an Irish view anyway :) 6 screens, one being a 400 seater theatre and super sound system! Vendors will be set up alongside stands for our associates who will be running mini events. In the middle of the hall there will be games run by the DCU's GamesSoc STOCS socities - from MangaManga, BESM to PS2's and GameCubes by projector. Also Giant Robot Melee will be making an appearence - great game :D

Being in the student center there is a SPAR, a canteen around the corner and two College Bars :) Also across the road we have EuroSpar, chippers - the usual stuff ^_^ also pizza delivery to the door. We have also got a brand spanking new radio station so be prepared to listen to ConRadio. The studio will also be the site for our Anime Fandubbing Compeition - how good are you? ;) This is being hosted by the DCU Media Production Society.

We will be having an exabition around the center showing off Fan Art, anime history, a Japanese Bazaar etc! You will also see AMV competitions - Open category and College category. Cosplay, cosplay competitions, Table Quizes, Charity Raffle - and lots more :)

*takes deep breath*

Hopefully this interests those in the locality and furthur afield to come along. Our site is at http://eirtakon.anime.ie and will be given a full update now that our exams are finally over ;) If you've any suggestions or even want to help us out or set up a stall give us a shout at eirtakon[at]anime.ie

Cheers,
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭deltablaze

Wow, sounds cool, but do you have to be 18 to enter? Because Im 14...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Art_Wolf

We are considering under 16s - we are currently consulting a Youth Leader :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

Sounds like a good weekend, i'll be there hopefully!

Great :D

We have set the price at 10 euro for the full weekend - this includes a goodie bag, free refreshments throughout the convention and possibly even a con tshirt :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sounds good, id gladly pay for that kind of event...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

yeah i'll be there... will the ucd sci-fi soc be selling tickets to its members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 129 ✭✭Rei-chan

Hey, I booked 3 tickets for the weekend on the site, and it said I'd get an email, but I never got an email...Does this mean I'm not booked?

Ok in terms of the UCD and our other associates selling tickets we are still working on that :/ We were meant to have a bank account set up last monday but AIB have recently changed the rules to opening accounts which has delayed us alot :/

In terms of the registration set up Im taking that down - a new system will be up asap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 scients

Hi,
    Anyone who wants to shamlessly plug their science fictiony/fantasy/anime etc events or their alternative/underground/new/rock/goth etc bands, please contact me and if we have space in our magazine we will shamlessly plug it for you and also on our website.
    Just let me know - it's free
    If anyone wants to advertise also just drop me a line.
    scifi.events@gmail.com
    :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Sounds great! I might make it up for the Sunday. Hopefully there'll be other girls/women there, I want to meet up with my fellow yaoi fans! ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39 PAINLESS

whats the story with tickets for this thing can you just pay at the door? theres nuthin on the site...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

Finallly, some information!! The UCD Soc were just all "A convention, I Dunno"
    Will the tickets be resolved soon? :D

direbadger wrote:
    Sounds great! I might make it up for the Sunday. Hopefully there'll be other girls/women there, I want to meet up with my fellow yaoi fans! ;)
    Dude, I'm a huge yaoi fan. ^^ I have all the Gravitation manga that are out, and a few that aren't. I'm going there. I'll be cosplaying Dark Chii. Black dresses are my thing, so I should look pretty alright. Only thing is, my hair is red and I can't get a wig... It's long enough though, maybe I'll just dye it blonde. ^^
    Do you have to register? I know people who just want to pay at the door and such, they don't have the internet. (haha)...

Oh, dude! Sorry, I forgot to say this but I saw leaflets for the convention in Tower Records in Temple Bar and took loads and gave 'em to loadsa peoples at the bank. ^^ I was all like 'OMG, DUDE, THAT RULES!!' I'm putting one up on my wall...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Emo Kid

hey everyone im can only go for one day what day would be the best day to go???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭direbadger

Rei-chan wrote:
    Dude, I'm a huge yaoi fan. ^^ I have all the Gravitation manga that are out, and a few that aren't. I'm going there. I'll be cosplaying Dark Chii. Black dresses are my thing, so I should look pretty alright. Only thing is, my hair is red and I can't get a wig... It's long enough though, maybe I'll just dye it blonde. ^^
    Do you have to register? I know people who just want to pay at the door and such, they don't have the internet. (haha)...
    Hi Rei-chan! Will you be cosplaying on the Sunday? If so I'll recognise you and say hi! I have to work Saturday (so that I'll have money for the con)

They got in a new yaoi for me called Passion at my local comic book shop. It looks cheesy as hell but it's got plastic and warning stickers all over it so that bodes well! OMG - being a nerd turns EVERYONE into a perv. There's no escape!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Eva24

That's so true!! The more of of a nerd I become, the more of a perv I am!! :D [except I am a hell of a lot more subtle than some of my friends, my mind is discreetly in the gutter.lol] But I have friends that I introduced to Manga/anime and they become completely perverted [The Yaoi scares most lads even though I know guys who accumulated an awful lot of overfiend dvds after meeting me]

direbadger wrote:
    Hi Rei-chan! Will you be cosplaying on the Sunday? If so I'll recognise you and say hi! I have to work Saturday (so that I'll have money for the con)

Yeah! I'm gonna try to cosplay at Dark Chii from Chobits.(I just have to make the costume. xD) I have the headband done, but that's it! I'll be there the three days, since I live pretty close to DCU, just a local bus journey away, it'll be easy to go. Only thing is, I'm going to a concert on the 10th and my mom's birthday's on the 12th, so I'm gonna be pretty broke!
    I'll have to look into that yaoi manga. The only thing I have is some shounen-ai. Gravitation. Still great though, but not hot.
    Got MSN, Yahoo or AIM by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 emmawhelan

i dont understand this site

Uhm...Like what? What don't you understand...? It's just a bulletin board...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

anyone else from omegasoc heading?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭sAid

sounds great can't wait to go wheres dcu tbh tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭Dragon Master

Hey, is there any chance you can buy tickets at the door?

Yep you can!

We will be registering people at the door of the HUB facing the Sports Club on the friday, saturday and sunday.

Remember its 10 euro for the weekend or 6 euro for a day.

Also have valid id - driver's license..gardai id.. if you want to enter the DCU Old bar for the Friday night events, a Pub Quiz and the Evangelion Drinking game! For those uninterested in this or are under 18 years old, there will be anime showing upstairs in the HUB.

More info here :-
    Friday Events
    Saturday Events
    Sunday Events

Hope to see you all there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Ah bugger, hadn't realised the Eva drinking game would be over 18 only. Don't suppose ye'd let in people who looked over 18 and weren't planning on drinking anything stronger than pepsi?

Very sorry but it will be the pub turning away the under 18s, we have no voice in that :/

We will be showing anime upstairs though, little consolation I realise :(

Yeah, bit of a pain. That eva drinking game looked ****ing hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Man, beer and Evangelion just don't mix, but that should add to the fun. :)

Con looks great lads.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Cheers, I expect you to attend ;)

The only thing we couldn't get was TV advertising (bagged some radio advertising thanks to Cloud), so there should be a good crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

If you want to PM me your contact details I'll see if I can get the Arts show on NEAR fm to interview with you about it...

I'll be sure to get them to mention it anyway...

And I'll also definitely be along myself.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

w00t might pop along for a bit,now that I know it is on......tenner you say...dcu you say...anime you say. \o/
    Must see if I know anyone going cos that would make things easier due to not wandering around on my own.

Hey, you don't have to pay extra to actually watch the screenings do ya? Or is it like all you-can-watch for the 6/10 euro?

Ah, no, we aren't trying to do anything underhanded like that :)

The only other charges in the actual convention are if you want to play games (RPG, Gundam, etc).

Omg, I was there! Who went? Who went!? It was deadly! I was there for the three days. Sittin' downstairs playing DBZ Budokai 3 and Streetfighter, buying stuff offthe asian guy and watching Anime and random videos upstairs! Woo! And I came third place in the quiz!! It was really fun. I bought a good bit of stuff...Ed's Watch. It works and has the carving in it, and I got Roy's gloves. I can set people alight now, woo!! I also got 8 posters, Chobits characters, An iron-on patch, I got 7 badges for 11 euro, a manga and something else...Can't remember. Oh well! I think it was an Alphonse plushie...Or arm bands...Something like that. And I got a free t-shirt that was bought in pennys for 3:50 and the little girl with the bulge was put on it...It's like, three sizes too big though. Oh well! I cosplayed as Dark Chii and dressed up as a cat girl saturday...So, it was fun. Yay. I hope it'll be more organized next year though...Okay, TTFN!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

The pub quiz was a lot of fun...

I learned so many new things... such as the fact that Optimus Prime didn't die from syphilis.

And trying to drink as many of those twisty shots as possiple during the single episode of Eva made Saturday morning very interesting for me...

• Advertisement

I was there on Saturday. Can't think of anything to add to that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

OK so going to the next one.....damn drink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

i made it for sat as well, got introduced to full metal panic, pity i missed blood, helsing and champloo, the amv vids were pure class, Cult any chance of throwing them up for download,..please, the chinpokomon one was cool.

got meself a cool xl tshirt, pity i is a size l, oh well least i got 1. think i'll frame it, saw Cult and art-wolf got the Ubercool red t-shirts,

fair dues to you lads for organisin the event,

cade

I only got to teh Friday.

Missed Samurai 7. Skipped to the quiz and that was great craic.

No drinking game though?! :eek:

Kudos to monkeyfudge for putting me up for the night in the end, next morning was very :v:!

How did the Mecha-in-an-Hour thing on Saturday go? That looked fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭Raziel

I did'nt go to Eirtakon. Pity, I'm sure it was a lot of laughs.

• Advertisement

The drinking game was there, ended up just being 1 episode of eva though. Was the best fun ever, I won't be able to look at Eva the same way again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Liquorice

That was copious amounts of fun (The con I mean, I was absent for the drinking game).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 ChrisCross

Had a great time at Ertikon. Cheers for puttin it on. Would love to see another. Kick ass weekend. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Buttermilk

Yeah, the con was great fun!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭a5y

Art_Wolf wrote:
    To get this off with a bang we have enlisted the aid of as many groups around Ireland as we could think of!

Er... You know, they teach animation in DLIADT (Dun Laoighaire) and BCFE (Ballyfermot).

I know it's a bit late, but if you're doing this again next year I strongly recommend you get on to them too, because I doubt animation students would turn down a shindig like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Damn it >_< ...i wanted to go but i didnt find out about it till at the boards beers and then i was too drunk to show up on sunday :S

Was this a once a year thing or will something like it be happening again anytime soon?

a5y wrote:
    Er... You know, they teach animation in DLIADT (Dun Laoighaire) and BCFE (Ballyfermot).

So... you think everyone should make an anime together...?
    a5y wrote:
    I know it's a bit late, but if you're doing this again next year I strongly recommend you get on to them too, because I doubt animation students would turn down a shindig like this!

Yea I didn't. :p

Advertisement