Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

8dB omni antenna. Over the top?

• 24-05-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking to increase the wifi range on my desktop PC and was thinking of getting an external antenna.

the thought crossed my mind to build myself a cantenna, but i'd be more inclined to go for an omni-directional antenna than the point and shoot type i'd end up with that way, and a decent self build omni is a bit harder to put together and i reckon would be out of my league skills wise.

anyway, had a look around and the commercial products are out of my price range for what i want to do, so i had a look on ebay, and some guy in poland or somewhere similar is building them and selling them for £19 (stg) inc. shipping to Ireland for an 8dB omni antenna with pole mount bracket.

here it is anyway: he's not got the best rating in the world, but for the price I might risk it.

in it's favour it's cheaper than even the 4-5dB ones I've seen elsewhere, but is 8dB over the top? in real world terms what improvements can I expect in range above and beyond what my little 6" rubber duck antenna is getting at the moment?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭bigpaddy2004

an 8db omni is crap. i have one about 1/4 of a mile from a 15 db omni and it is unable to communicate with it. go for at least 12db, well worth the few extra quid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've not seen a 12dB omni for anywhere near £19.

I don't want to communicate with the world (not directly at least) just get better reception than I've got at the moment. how much stronger is an 8dB omni going to be than my current laptop's internal antenna?

Alot...but you are going to have to try and mount it somewhere. You should try the 5dbi magnetic omni's. They are very powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

The outputs only ever going to be a multiple of the input to the antenna so if your inputs weak even a 10dB is only going to get to far. I've a few wireless setups, one 10dB omni covering nearly 10Km+.

pauln wrote:
    The outputs only ever going to be a multiple of the input to the antenna so if your inputs weak even a 10dB is only going to get to far. I've a few wireless setups, one 10dB omni covering nearly 10Km+.

i dont know how you are doing that, must be more that 100mw's going through it. I have a parabolic antenna, 20.5dbi looking at a 15dbi omni bout 3kms away, with 30% signal

• Advertisement

Correction.....I would like to know how you are doing that!! :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

What hardware are you using? Anythign thats giving u a % signal strength dosn't sound good...

Iv a little 5db mag mount, great little antenna.

Advertisement