Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

carroll set to stay

• 24-05-2005 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭

i was reading on the star today that carroll is on the verge of signing a three year deal after fergie told him he wont be signing a goalkeeper. now i know take everything you see on the papers with a pinch of salt but it didnt really seem like "scandal". apparently there are just a few more details to work out with david gill and its done.

im not sure what to make of this. i thought that was one area where we were guaranteed to sign. im hoping this means they are saving the money for quality players in other positions.

also they killed carl flethcher!!!noooooooooooo!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4574651.stm

I really thought they'd sign a goalkeeper. With Carroll and Howard both getting new deals that now seems very unlikely. Carroll wouldn't be signing a new deal if he was going to be 3rd choice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Its a strange one that. Carrol wanted a first choice keeper, ahead of Howard. Unless he back tracked on the demand it looks like it will be the same 2 here to stay for another season yet.

Good news really then!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

cant belive they are asking carroll to stay on... still best of luck to him :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i dont think that badly of him. he just isnt good enough to be starting in a team needing to compete at a level chelsea did this year. its weird as a man united fan benchmarking our players against another team but thats what has happened. and we need to match chelsea in every department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

hopefully he wont be 1st choice and howard will.

whilst utd goalkeepers have produced some unforced errors, this season defensively has been one of our best in years. lets not forget we had the 2nd best defensive record in the league and went out to milan because we couldnt score, you could say the same about the fa cup.

perhaps fergie doesnt want to re-jig the defence yet again and instead hopes that the defence will bond more as a result of security in their positions and no new competition and communication barriers.

it's a gamble, fergie must believe in them though and tbh we've seen in howard's 1st season that he's a quality keeper, carroll not so much but he has experience now and knows the back 4.

still think shay given should be signed. it'd be money well spent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

smemon wrote:
    hopefully he wont be 1st choice and howard will.

whilst utd goalkeepers have produced some unforced errors, this season defensively has been one of our best in years. lets not forget we had the 2nd best defensive record in the league and went out to milan because we couldnt score,.

it would be more accurate to say you lost to milan because you conceeded 2 goals, and not because you couldnt score ;)

smemon wrote:
    perhaps fergie doesnt want to re-jig the defence yet again and instead hopes that the defence will bond more as a result of security in their positions and no new competition and communication barriers.

it's a gamble, fergie must believe in them though and tbh we've seen in howard's 1st season that he's a quality keeper, carroll not so much but he has experience now and knows the back 4.

Carrol and howard dont have any security in their positions, thats the problem.

personnaly i am quite pleased by this, a world class keeper for united would of been very worrying.

uniteds defence was excellent this year. when you consider that had we had an attack with a better srike rate we may have conceded even less.

howard is a very good goalkeeper and he is young. goalkeppers dont peak until their 30's, normally. so given a few seasons consecutive first team football i think he would be good. however carroll would not have signed unless he was told he would be number one. so this means to me that carroll will be number one next year.

rather than moan about it id just hope one of them comes good next year. cmon the goalies!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I honastly don't see goalkeeping as a serious issue for United.
    Sure we may leak goals here and there, especially in the CL, but our real problem is in midfield, thats the difference.
    Howard is good enough, can gain confidence and was amazing in his first half year.
    The money spent on a keeper could be put to better use on a midfielder, and since money is limited, I'd rather spend it where its needed, midfield.
    All these stories linking UTD to strikers are a waste of time, and i'm sure untrue.
    Perhaps the deal with Ramos and Heinze moving into midfield would make our back 4 world world class, but thats secondary.
    Up front we are fine, Van Nist, Rooney and Ronaldo is going to be a nice combo imo.
    We need someone else to replace Keano/Scholes, plain and simple.
    20 Mill on one player will do, maybe 15 on one and 5 on a youth players would be nice too.
    The CL is nice, buts its not the most important thing, the most important thing is winning back the PL, and that isn't lost due to a goalkeeping mistake, its lost due to midfield and not scoring enough

PHB wrote:
    I honastly don't see goalkeeping as a serious issue for United.
    Sure we may leak goals here and there, especially in the CL, but our real problem is in midfield, thats the difference.
    Howard is good enough, can gain confidence and was amazing in his first half year.
    The money spent on a keeper could be put to better use on a midfielder, and since money is limited, I'd rather spend it where its needed, midfield.
    All these stories linking UTD to strikers are a waste of time, and i'm sure untrue.
    Perhaps the deal with Ramos and Heinze moving into midfield would make our back 4 world world class, but thats secondary.
    Up front we are fine, Van Nist, Rooney and Ronaldo is going to be a nice combo imo.
    We need someone else to replace Keano/Scholes, plain and simple.
    20 Mill on one player will do, maybe 15 on one and 5 on a youth players would be nice too.
    The CL is nice, buts its not the most important thing, the most important thing is winning back the PL, and that isn't lost due to a goalkeeping mistake, its lost due to midfield and not scoring enough

yeah id agree with that, the midfield is a problem and we need to strengthen. its just a bit of a shock after post after post of what goalkeeper united were going to sign. it is a big decision fergie has just made and i really hope it pays off.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Brutal decision to let a calamity like him stay, he will never make it, he does not have the balls of steel to handle the pressure the likes of Schemichel or Czech can.

• Advertisement

No he doesn't, but Howard might, and he can stay there until we don't have other issues to fix.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Carroll is a donkey, end of. Howard has potential, but we should let him go out on loan for a while just to build up his confidence again. United need a world class keeper, it is the difference between good teams and great teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

We really need a world class keeper, there is no getting away from this fact, even if Carroll stays we will need someone who can perform at the top level. I can't believe we will not sign a keeper and if we don't I for one will not expect us to win anything next season again.

Thats stupid Keano_sli.
    How many premiership matches did we lose/draw because of keeping errors.
    One arguably.
    Why did we lose in the FA Cup? midfield/finishing
    Why did we loose in the CL? Sure you can say Caroll set us up wrong, but our midfield was totally out preformed that night and tahts why we lost.
    The reason we havn't done well in the PL is because of our aging midfield.

I agree that i'd like a world class goalie but there are bigger fish to fry, and to say that we won't win anything is just silly and typical of Man U fans looking for someone to blame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

that save he made against spurs was quality

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Keano_sli

PHB wrote:
    Thats stupid Keano_sli.
    How many premiership matches did we lose/draw because of keeping errors.
    One arguably.
    Why did we lose in the FA Cup? midfield/finishing
    Why did we loose in the CL? Sure you can say Caroll set us up wrong, but our midfield was totally out preformed that night and tahts why we lost.
    The reason we havn't done well in the PL is because of our aging midfield.

I agree that i'd like a world class goalie but there are bigger fish to fry, and to say that we won't win anything is just silly and typical of Man U fans looking for someone to blame.

Well you appear to be blaming the Ageing midfield, My Opinion is that without a World Class keeper we will not win anything, I think its a perfectly valid opinion and not in the least stupid! You have got to build from the back and we do not have a goalkeeper who has the confidence of the rest of the team, simple as that. I'm not saying that their are other changes desirable but you may have noticed that this thread is about Roy Carroll and therefore the goalkeeping situation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Goalkeeper --> Buy one now.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

How come Ricardo never got a go? Or Taibi for that matter. I seem to remember them each making one mistake and being banished forever, though I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Also, has anyone a list of Man United's top scorers in the Premiership this season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

How come Ricardo never got a go? Or Taibi for that matter. I seem to remember them each making one mistake and being banished forever, though I'm sure someone will correct me.
    Also, has anyone a list of Man United's top scorers in the Premiership this season?

Rooney was top scorer! think Smith was second.....not a forwards season for Utd

Cant understand why they are re-signing Carroll, let him go and sign a proper keeper....keep Howard as back up!!!

Ricardo had onnly signed.....started crying because couldnt get his place....went back to Spain on loan....after that wasnt given a chance......Taibi was loaned out soon after a couple of mistakes...was with an Italian team in Seria A for a long time...not sure where he is now!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just had a look - that list is quite brutal, definitely not a forward's season for anyone but Arsenal (and I suppose Crystal Palace). Even the Italians are outscoring them - top five there were Italian nationals.

Is this down to teams playing 4-5-1 or something else? Though I didn't get to see any of it live, it seems to have been a terrible Premiership season.

Fairly normal season goal scoring wise, just Uniteds record isn't impressive, but thats not indicative of the whole league

Cant understand why they are re-signing Carroll, let him go and sign a proper keeper....keep Howard as back up!!!

Because we don't have that much money!!!
    We have 20 mill to spend, whats more important to spend it on, midfield or goalie?
    We don't have infinate money anymore, we have to put the money where it can do the most good, and thats midfield

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Northern Ireland goalkeeper Roy Carroll has been released by Manchester United, the club confirmed on Friday.

It was widely believed Carroll was about to sign a new deal but instead he will be leaving Old Trafford.

Spanish goalkeeper Ricardo has also been shown the door along with six young professionals.

It means that Tim Howard is the only senior goalkeeper at United - the American agreed a new deal last week.

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.dor?STORY_NAME=soccer/05/05/27/SOCCER_Man_Utd_Lead.html

So who are Utd going to sign now? need a first choice keeper because I cant see Howard being Frist choice since he wasn't nearly all season....he is for the future!!! Bannor you have anything?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

All I have to say is thank fúck. Now to get Cassillas. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I KNEW he wasnt going to be kept !! He's MUCK and so is HOWARD/physo.

Cant see Cassillas leaving the best club in the world for sunny Manchester :)

my apologies for this outrageously incorrect information. maybe this will work with everything......

man united will not win the league next year.......

Advertisement