Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Drivers

Options
  • 17-05-2005 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

Ok heres the deal. Im on a privisional 28yo - been driving 3 months and I reckon (as everyone else in the world does - about themselves) that I'm fairly competent.

So this morning on my way to the dart station this idiot does this -

Goes left at a fork in the road, over the painted island, and into a parking spot.

NO INDICATION AT ALL.

I didn't come near hitting him but I did notice he tooks the previous 4 corners without indication and that he was in his late 50s. An alleged 'safe' driver.

And I'm the liability to peoples safety?

Rant over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

allegedy all driver in ireland are safe according to the standards of training, testing and enforcement in Ireland, otherwise they would have their license taken off them?. Only thing you can do is drive safely allowing for the standards of other drivers, not to the rules of the road. Just think, if you a 28 yr old with a provisional hit a 50yr old full license driver, who would be at fault?. Know who the insurance companies would be writing the cheque to and who would be paying the impossible preimums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

edmund_f wrote:
    allegedy all driver in ireland are safe according to the standards of training, testing and enforcement in Ireland, otherwise they would have their license taken off them?. Only thing you can do is drive safely allowing for the standards of other drivers, not to the rules of the road. Just think, if you a 28 yr old with a provisional hit a 50yr old full license driver, who would be at fault?. Know who the insurance companies would be writing the cheque to and who would be paying the impossible preimums.

Yeah thats the thing that bugs me. In that situation (and most others) if the guy in the back goes into the guy in the front its mostly a no-brainer as to who is at fault given requisite distances. BUT bad driving like that from people who should know better is just annoying.

I had to stop the car in the middle of the road because of him and I beeped him twice. He didnt even bother to look around. :rolleyes:

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I drive a bike myself and I noticed that it is mainly middle-aged men that behave like this. They will try and run you off the road, make stupid manoeuvres and generally act the ass and when you beep them they completely ignore you.

I think they have the idea that they are superior to everyone else on the road and the can do what they want.

And don't get me started about Taxi drivers .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭the jew

i saw somewhere on this site (i think) that 60% of accidents are caused by young drivers and 40% by older drivers, so why the fúck when i go to get insurance in my name will i have to pay well over 2000 for some tiny car???? i mean i understand insurance companies charging more to a younger driver but but the extra amount they charge is ridiculous, no wonder ireland is one of the most profitable countries in the eu for insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

K-TRIC wrote:
    I drive a bike myself and I noticed that it is mainly middle-aged men that behave like this. They will try and run you off the road, make stupid manoeuvres and generally act the ass and when you beep them they completely ignore you.
    Well in my experience most of the lunatic overtaking and stupid manoeuvres I see are by bikers. Not in the city, but when they're out for their weekend ride outs - speed and manoeuvres have to be seen to be believed - they must have special visors that allow them to see around corners...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

mathie wrote:
    Ok heres the deal. Im on a privisional 28yo - been driving 3 months and I reckon (as everyone else in the world does - about themselves) that I'm fairly competent.
    mathie wrote:

And I'm the liability to peoples safety?

See here's your major problem, you've got a provisonal, been driving 3 months, so chances are that you're on your first provisional. That, under the current law, makes it illegal for you to be on the roads without a fully licensed driver beside you in the front passenger seat. You're assuming the other driver is a full license holder, so I'll assume you are on your first provisonal.
    No matter what occured, if you were in collision with him, you'd be at fault, unless it was 100% his fault, anything 50:50 becomes your problem, in the eyes of the insurance companies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Macy wrote:
    Well in my experience most of the lunatic overtaking and stupid manoeuvres I see are by bikers. Not in the city, but when they're out for their weekend ride outs - speed and manoeuvres have to be seen to be believed - they must have special visors that allow them to see around corners...

Everyone knows that the guys that go out at the weekend for a bit of a rip are just "Weekend Warriors", ie: middle aged guys with big sports bikes trying to prove that they've still got "it" !!

They give real bikers a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

lets not start on bikers either.. if all car drivers drove with as much awareness as your average bike rider the roads would be a much safer place.

I'm not talking about the weekend warriors.. I mean the people that ride bikes 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I think, percentage wise;
    There are as many bad bikers as there are bad car drivers.
    There are as many lethal bikers as there are lethal car drivers.
    There are as many dangerously slow, unconfident bikers as there are dangerously slow, unconfident car drivers

and

There are as many good, observant and generally safe bikers as there are good, observant and generally safe car drivers.

To the OP, i have seen situations like that alot, and i break it down like this:
    1. Drive like bloody lunatics, stupid overtaking manovuers etc, USUALLY young male drivers (but not all).
    2. Massivly excessive speeding on main roads, motorways, and up the ass driving, USUALLY middle aged men in mid range reps cars (but not all).
    3. Making dumbass manouvers, without regard to other road users, because their time is more important than the law, USUALLY professional looking Men AND Women driving 'fancy' motors (but not all)
    4. Poor observance of road users around them USUALLY female drivers (but not all)
    5. Crawling at snails pace, without regard to others and causing major traffic jams USUALLY older Men AND Women, who are not fit to operate a vehicle on todays roads (but not all).
    5. Good driving skills, well aware of other road users, careful and not holding everyone up either, all of the above, at some time or other.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

Everyone thinks their demographic group is more competent than the statistic show. No one puts their hands up and analyses why the stats of their group are s bad.

For example, bikes will say its car drivers causing accidents with bikes, but that doesn't account for the number of accidents where no one else is invovled Ditto young male drivers.

Face it we're woeful. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just to prove idiots come in all shapes...today just south of Camolin Co Wexford some wanker in a boy-racer styled Jap import decided to test his traction by doing a slalom round cones along the centre line (road resurfacing preperation) just before entering the village. The woman who was directly behind him as he made this dumb-ass manoeuvre must have got a bit of a shock.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

what a pity she wasnt a cop in an unmarked car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

what annoys me the most is that Dublin males pay the most for insurance, while most of the fatal or costly accidents occur outside dublin, and before ye's say theft blah blah blah, how does my age make a difference to how likely the car is to be stolen

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

To the op, this is where learning to drive defensively comes in. Deal with every other road user as if they are a blind lunatic who is liable to do anything (and they probably will). Im not a fab driver, but compared to some things ive seen Im doin ok: a girl text messaging, a guy fighting with his kid and swerving like mad, a drunk driver hitting the verge on both sides of the road, another girl having a sandwich AND coffee at the wheel. I know us women are good at multitasking but please! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Remonds me of a few weeks past, coming off the highway, 2-lane exit, car in left lane doing about 45, me in right lane doing about 50, with a truck load of junk.
    As I approached, car put on indicator and did a "U" turn about 40~50ft in front of me and disappeared the wrong way down a 1-way st.

totally blind, was not that old either, probably 35~40. that's old enough to be legally stoned is it not?.

They are out there, so keep your periscope up.

btw, do you mean 18yo and not 28yo?.

AMurphy wrote:
    As I approached, car put on indicator and did a "U" turn about 40~50ft in front of me and disappeared the wrong way down a 1-way st

Was it Jim McDaid by any chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

rymus wrote:
    Was it Jim McDaid by any chance?

His Mexican cousin Jamie (Hamie) McDaiderosa by the look of it.

Aye yae yae muchachos!

• Advertisement

daveirl wrote:
    good point, never thought about that.
    heggie wrote:
    what annoys me the most is that Dublin males pay the most for insurance, while most of the fatal or costly accidents occur outside dublin, and before ye's say theft blah blah blah, how does my age make a difference to how likely the car is to be stolen
    think in louth you'll pay higher insurance than any other county, ah nice one, i'm from louth!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

i love when people start rolling out statistics.. 60% this 60% that, we will have to face it, as a nation we are really crap driver and ALL need to improve. Singling out one paticular demographic and hiding behind them as being the root of all evil on our roads would almost be funny, why not blame sony for all the fat kids, strip clubs for marrage breakup, tv for ADD.

We need a decent test, we need decent, fair, useful enforcement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

daveirl wrote:

Have to disagree here....Im with FBD and live in Dublin but go to Cavan most weekend....when I bought new car just for interest asked how much for Cavan insurance and for Dublin insurance....no difference....they had brought in a new thing that mean it doesnt matter where in Ireland you live your quote will be the same.......so join a proper insurance company and not Quinn Direct and your flying....oh yeah they where 100 euro more than Quinn direct with a proper policy that actuall pays out if you do crash!

edmund_f wrote:
    i love when people start rolling out statistics.. 60% this 60% that, we will have to face it, as a nation we are really crap driver and ALL need to improve. Singling out one paticular demographic and hiding behind them as being the root of all evil on our roads would almost be funny, why not blame sony for all the fat kids, strip clubs for marrage breakup, tv for ADD.

We need a decent test, we need decent, fair, useful enforcement.
    but 100% of people like to blame somebody else. it's not my fault.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

Statistics can be twisted around to say anything you want - 45.8% of people know that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

Bogger77 wrote:
    No matter what occured, if you were in collision with him, you'd be at fault, unless it was 100% his fault, anything 50:50 becomes your problem, in the eyes of the insurance companies.

this is wrong. liability for an accident would not be effected just beacuse a learner driver was in breach of a driving regulation such as this. the transgression on the part of the learner by being alone in the car does not go to the question of the liability, unless it could be shown to the satisfaction of the court that his being alone (as opposed to his actions) caused or contributed to the accident. the real issue here, is whether or not the insurance company would cover a learner driver in such in an instance... this is completely seperate from liability.

as for the OP, while the actions of the other driver may have been risky, you didn't come anywhere near hitting him, and nor did anyone else... so what's your problem? the guy could've assessed the risks involved in his manoeuvre, saw there were none, and safely took the parking spot. this is what happened.

IMO over cautious drivers are as likely to cause accidents as risk takers. they are just as dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

prospect wrote:
    I think, percentage wise;
    There are as many bad bikers as there are bad car drivers.
    There are as many lethal bikers as there are lethal car drivers.
    There are as many dangerously slow, unconfident bikers as there are dangerously slow, unconfident car drivers

ahh come on,
    theres nowhere near as many bikers as car drivers on the road ;)

hilarious situattion yesterday morning coming on to roundabout fairly close behind the car in front, her in jeep me on the bike.
    you know how it is on busy roundabouts, you squeeze on when you can and all that....

anyway, out of nowhere, her boot pops open and out flies a black bag.
    i dosged it, but i think it nearl caused a 3 or 4 car pile up behind me.
    beeped at her, as did half the road. toatlly oblivious.

caught up eith her a few minutes later to say what happened.

didnt give a fvck and left the bag behind

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Wow these "rant" threads make me glad I'm without a car at the moment. I find I'm such a calmer and less angry person :)

Now excuse me while I go back to ranting about the ****ing bus :mad:

landser wrote:
    the real issue here, is whether or not the insurance company would cover a learner driver in such in an instance... this is completely seperate from liability.
    dunno about all insurance companies but hibernian covers you to drive on your own, even if your license says otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭timaaaaay

Chalk wrote:
    ahh come on,
    theres nowhere near as many bikers as car drivers on the road ;)
    percentage wise!! - as stated in the post you quoted from!! ;)

Advertisement