Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Stupid Drivers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

theyll have to make the winking eye smiley about ten time bigger i think ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

HAHA , a 28 year old with a provisional and only 3 months driving exp.!!! LMAO..................well I thought it was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

PlayaFlow wrote:
    HAHA , a 28 year old with a provisional and only 3 months driving exp.!!! LMAO..................well I thought it was funny
    It's a damn sight better than a 28 year old provisional driver with 10 years driving experience...

The standard of driving out there varies from excellent to downright poor and on again to dangerous. I've gotten used to ignoring it and am pretty much underwhelmed by it all now. I find myself more irritated by people who don't bother signaling or who are obviously oblivious
    of the wonderful world thier rear view mirrors displays for them than by the actual dangerous and idiotic.

Unfortunately for young male drivers such as myself a lot of the dangerous segment of road users are from out demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

with all these wonderful statistics, does anyone have links to them?. I would be curious to see the breakdown by demographic of number of accidents per Km driven?. If you check out other countries, e.g. the UK or according to the WHO it is all accidents per Km

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

PlayaFlow wrote:

Bit rich coming from the guy who can't drive round a roundabout!!!!!
    PlayaFlow wrote:
    I bet u that youre one of those that concentrates more on indicating left and then right when going straight through a roundabout

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

why drive around them when u can drive over em, i say!!....joke.
    what i meant about that comment was people that put too much emphasis and concentration on indicating at the precise moment they pass an exit , instead of watchin not to scrape of the car beside them, i see it all the time .. they enter the roundabout , and god forbid they forget to indicate , but they cut across both lanes of the roundabout oblivious to the cars on either side.
    Good explanation?? ...if i didnt know how to use roundabouts , i dont think id have a full licence.

PlayaFlow wrote:
    if i didnt know how to use roundabouts , i dont think id have a full licence.

PlayaFlow wrote:
    I bet u that youre one of those that concentrates more on indicating left and then right when going straight through a roundabout

can some one explain this one to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭jayok

edmund_f wrote:
    can some one explain this one to him?

I would love to, but I am too busy laughing...... :):):)

I think that's proof enough edmund_f that our driving test standard are terrible, may be now people will listen to you!

No, I'm sorry I cannot let this go, I have to correct:

Playaflow - if you are going straight through a roundabout, then the correct indicator procedure is to pass the 1st exit and THEN turn on your left indicator, once you have exited though the 2nd exit the indicator should be turned off. You do not used your right indicator in this procedure.

Hope you're not an examiner! :eek:

really does not make a difference, as no one really has a clue on irish roads, and as stated earlier you are found guilty based on your age and gender rather than the actual facts of the case.

As far as idiotic driving goes, indicating right then left, all that will do is scare the crap out of people who are in the right hand, straight through lane. Overall it would be one of the 'safer' stupid things to do.

my personal favourites are

when stopped in heavy traffic, inching along, with a junctoin to the left, people have right of way over you if they d r i v e r e a l l y s l o w l y without stopping and, of course, do not look directly at you

as above, but with yellow boxes, they are not there to keep the junction clear, they are there to let traffic from a minor road join a major road - the rules are just wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

landser wrote:
    as for the OP, while the actions of the other driver may have been risky, you didn't come anywhere near hitting him, and nor did anyone else... so what's your problem? the guy could've assessed the risks involved in his manoeuvre, saw there were none, and safely took the parking spot. this is what happened.

IMO over cautious drivers are as likely to cause accidents as risk takers. they are just as dangerous.

The only reason I didn't hit him is because I saw his blatant disregard for indication all the way up to that point.

I was fully expecting him to do something crazy and if I'd been driving without caution and accident would have occured.

I don't think you can be over-cautious. Yes you can do 10kmph in a 50 zone - thats bad driving but being over cautious is not.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

As my Mammy said when I was learnng:
    "Expect the unexpected" :rolleyes:

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

mathie wrote:
    The only reason I didn't hit him is because I saw his blatant disregard for indication all the way up to that point.

I was fully expecting him to do something crazy and if I'd been driving without caution and accident would have occured.

I don't think you can be over-cautious. Yes you can do 10kmph in a 50 zone - thats bad driving but being over cautious is not.

M

you've been driving for three months.... this guy in his fifties has probably been driving for years... what do you know???

suppose he knows enough to be able to recgonise what is and how to use an indicator, which appears to be more than the 'experienced' 50 yr old did?

edmund_f wrote:
    suppose he knows enough to be able to recgonise what is and how to use an indicator, which appears to be more than the 'experienced' 50 yr old did?

Yeah just because you've been driving for 30 years doesn't make you a good driver. There are a lot of instinctive things to driving that seemingly can't be taught.

Also bad habits picked up along the way aren't present in so called 'learner' drivers who have the rules beat into them.

Do you check your rearviewmirror every 10-15 seconds? ;)

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 648 ✭✭✭landser

mathie wrote:

Do you check your rearviewmirror every 10-15 seconds? ;)

M

only in order to look at myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

prospect wrote:
    As my Mammy said when I was learnng:
    "Expect the unexpected" :rolleyes:

Too true, too true;

Friday, heading back home, usual light 880 traffic, doing about 65~70.
    18-wheeler driving in the center (of 3) lanes (odd place for an 18 wheeler to hang out.). So for whatever reason I went to pass on the inside, must have been something blocking the outside.. no big deal. However, just as I passed the truck a slow moving (maybe doing 50) SUV on a merging/onramp lane blipped the left indicator and popped into the lane ahead of me, I made a quick lane change into the clear lane directly in front of the 18wheeler. I didn't have much time for looking about, consulting handbooks or checking mirrors and blind-spots, before hand. Either change lanes or rearend the SUV.
    The traffic that was also passing on the left side of the 18 wheeler had moved ahead of the truck also, about parallel with me, and 15~20' ahead of the truck front.

However, coming (probably weaving) up the rear and passing the truck on the left (and totally hidden from my view by the same truck) was a GTI doing about 80~90, so just when I made the rapid lane change, so did he as he was planing to overtake the other traffic on the right. So before I know it I have this GTI screaming out of "nowhere" up my ass. Man, was the GTI driver unhappy.
    Close, too close.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

I wonder how the trucker felt about all this. After all, don't they "request" that other drivers should wait until they can see both headlights of the truck in their rear view mirror before pulling into the lane in front of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

AMurphy wrote:
    18-wheeler driving in the center (of 3) lanes (odd place for an 18 wheeler to hang out.)
    In the Texas drivers' handbook, at least, it recommends that 18 wheelers stay in the middle lane to make it easier for traffic to exit and enter the freeway. dunno about california, but it could be the same.
    Either change lanes or rearend the SUV.
    More like change lanes or get stuck behind the SUV and beside the 18 wheeler, if you ask me :P Unless the SUV was doing like 40mph less than you, the brakes would've done a far safer job than changing lanes in this case ;) Don't worry about it, though. I'd do the same thing myself :)

In addition, the Texas drivers' handbook says when two cars are trying to change to the same lane, the driver to the left gets right of way. That's just common sense ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

AMurphy wrote:
    Friday, heading back home (...)

Sounds to me like you were driving just as erratically as the GTI guy, tbh. And not quite in full control of your car ("fishtail the lorry or rear-end the SUV") either.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but my undrestanding of the RTAct is that you're not allowed to overtake on the inside. As a matter of fact, that's the rule in the UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and most Scandinavian countries - the only place I'm aware of where this is allowed is in the US.

But then again, given the thread posts (and so many like-threads that have gone before) and the reality of daily driving commute in/around Dublin, why should I be so surprised :rolleyes:

ambro25 wrote:
    By all means correct me if I'm wrong, but my undrestanding of the RTAct is that you're not allowed to overtake on the inside. As a matter of fact, that's the rule in the UK, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, France and most Scandinavian countries - the only place I'm aware of where this is allowed is in the US.

You can undertake when the traffic in the 'fast' lane is going slower than the traffic in the 'slow' lane. Obviously user discretion/brains for 3 lane motorways.

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭DubTony

Ambro, he lives in California (according to his location).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Could someone shut the can of worms?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

DubTony wrote:
    Ambro, he lives in California (according to his location).

So I stand corrected :) Undertake away :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

He probably got his license "given" to him like all the other people who failed their tests about 30years ago :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭RicardoSmith

I had someone try to undertake me in the same lane going around stephens green earlier. Granted the lanes are wide but they are narrow in the corners so room to undertake suddenly disappears, and driver seemed to think (judging by the use of the horn) that they had the right of the way being behind and undertaking. Grrrr. The garda behind them did nothing, and in fact did nothing when I had about 3 or 4 cars pull right across in front of me forcing me to stop (though I had right of way) at different junctions before and after that. If the guards won't enforce the rules what do you expect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

commited wrote:
    He probably got his license "given" to him like all the other people who failed their tests about 30years ago :rolleyes:

Youd be surprised how many drivers of that generation didnt have to do a test.. should be made resit the test every 10 yrs or so...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Came home last night to find that someone had crashed into my car!!!!! :eek: Bumper scratched to bits paintworked messed up and part of the bumper is now dangling!!! what u think the a-hole done????
    Drove away as if nothing had happened!!!!! Man i'm gonna go nuts if I find out who done it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Youd be surprised how many drivers of that generation didnt have to do a test.. should be made resit the test every 10 yrs or so...
    Makes me sick.
    I'd like it if there was a refresher test every 10years. For everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

commited wrote:
    Makes me sick.
    I'd like it if there was a refresher test every 10years. For everyone.
    Think of the waiting list if that was the case!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

commited wrote:

That was my brother, Quiet an interesting experiment.
    I had to drive around the block and show that I could park the car in a spot about 100' long without hitting the kerb. Stressed me out no end.

Advertisement