Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

running command on remote machine through dos

• 24-05-2005 6:51pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭

I'm just wondering if its possible to run a command on a machine that runs
    on another machine....(both not on a domain)

ie on machine-x

run machine-y administrator c:\program files\backup\backup.exe

where c:\program files\backup\backup.exe would be on machine-y

This is for Windows XP and/or Windows2003

Yeah, I realise I probably haven't explained it very well, but you get my
    drift...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭SickBoy

This might help. I use it all the time to execute M$ patches on remote clients. Works like a charm :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭de8o

You could try this

net use q: /delete
    net use q: \\remotecomputer\c$ passwordofremoteadmin /user:administrator
    at \\remotecomputer 09:00 /interactive "c:\program files\backup\backup.exe"

you can adjust this to suit your environment.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

psexec as posted by sick boy is the biz - there is a remote console in the windows resource kit but it's tooooo open so ignore it.

as well as AT in the resouce kit there is an app called SOON - sounds great but you have to make sure the times on both PC's are synched and even then it's safer to add a 99 second delay if you want to be sure it will run - too short a delay and sometimes it won't run !

If you are using NTBACKUP on Windows 2000 /Xp / 2003 then use the schedule in the program itself instead. NtBackup in NT works with tapes only. NtBackup in 2000/Xp/2003 is great to backup to file - very handy for backing up remote pc's without needing propitery backup agents. But it's a pain to get it to backup to tape. - just another windows annoyance where you have to change the way you do things every second version.

Advertisement