Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shopping Cart + Payment

Options
  • 24-05-2005 8:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Im wondering how websites go about making a shopping cart of selected items you want to buy and then set up the method of accepting any credit card and having them pay that way.

Paying through paypal is kinda unprofessional so was wondering of better ideas?
    I just want them to enter their cc details and be able to process that.

need help as I gota do all this myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Practical Web Projects magazine this month deals with e commerce. It includes tutorials on how to set this sort of thing up, and also a cd with two trial programs and one free full program for setting up shopping carts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

To be able to take credit card details on the site you would need to have a merchant account via your bank and use some kind of gateway such as the one provided by Realex.
    Alternatively you could use a 3rd party processor that would handle the payment processing for you.
    A lot of hosting companies offer a selection of shopping carts preinstalled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

You know customers dont actually need to have a paypal account to transmit funds anymore, so that helps a wee bit. Theres nothing unprofessional about using PayPal imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

You know customers dont actually need to have a paypal account to transmit funds anymore, so that helps a wee bit. Theres nothing unprofessional about using PayPal imo.

Apart from PayPal being asshats, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

This facility is not available in Ireland yet - I just finished dealing with paypal and every customer had to have an account. Far too much overhead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

Not true. I have tested it myself and it does work from an Irish company for Irish customers. And hostyle give me an example of where paypal have been an "asshat" to you directly.

Btw I'm not a paypal fanboy, I'm just curios as to the hostility here against them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

OK - but i got an email from paypal saying that it's not available
    This amounts to an example of paypal Fing up

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

What about Worldpay? Same requirement to have user account?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

egan007 wrote:
    OK - but i got an email from paypal saying that it's not available
    When? The feature was only officially introduced a few months ago, although it worked for me for a good while before that.

People paying via WorldPay don't need an account, although I think WP encourage them to set one up after ordering.

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

The other options are Worldpay and RealEx as far as I know. The differences last time I checked (which was quite some time ago, I admit) were as follows:

Worldpay
    Setup: £100 GBP
    Annual Fee: £160

Transaction Fees:
    4.5% on Credit Cards
    50p Flat Fee on Debit Cards

+ Includes Merchant Account
    - It can take up to 30 days for merchant to get cash

RealEx
    Setup: €250 EUR
    Fees (based on 250 transactions a month):

€168 per month + 67c commission per transaction