Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fax Machine / Phone Line

Options
  • 24-05-2005 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Prob on completely the wrong forum here, but anyway...

I need to get a fax machine to receive documents from a helpline my organisation is setting up in Cork, but I don't particularly want to get a new phone line.

Do fax machines in any way disrupt phone lines? If it was connected to the existing line, would normal calls still get through ok?

Chris

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

not really , just don't give Dell your fax number or you won't receive any calls with the amount of junk faxs they will send

Just set the answer to auto say 6 rings or manually so you have time to answer the phone before the fax kicks in ,

Does the PC in the office have a modem , you could use that instead ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭WexCan

Well we're a voluntary organisation - it's my home phone.

I have a PC here (obviously :p ) but I'm on broadband...

Jus the ol' parents moaning saying "But when I call (Valerie/Maureen/insert old woman names here) and they have their machine on I get an awful beeping noise and you can't get through"

if the people contacting you don't mind faxing to a UK number you could sign up for a free EFAX number on www.efax.co.uk

any faxes received are fowarded to an email of your choice which you can collect easily on your broadband connection

They only allow 20 pages a month free - we'd prob have 5-10 pages a night.

In any case, you're saying that having a regular fax machine on my home phone line wouldn't disrupt calls when it's not sending/receiving?

shouldn't do , just get a good quality splitter

check the REN number on the fax machine also...that is isn't over 1 , most houses have a rating of 4 so 3 phones and a fax more than REN 1 will cause the other phones to ring or not to ring

• Advertisement

REN? *lost* hehe

ringer equivalency number but forget about the tech , just check for the REN number on the box or the label on the fax machine itself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Get a cheap vodafone mobile, set up the fax options on voicemail.

Give +353 87 5 whatever as your fax number.

You can either access your faxes via www.vodafone.ie as picture files or you can print them to any number at a time of your choosing.

It's been around for years and was launched by eircell when it was still part of eircom.

I don't know anyone else who offers faxmail.

Eircom should! I know the details of their voicemail / messaging platform (Lucent Anypath) and it's very capable of offering all sorts of fancy fax/voicemail/email integration stuff..

Advertisement