Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quick query

Options
  • 24-05-2005 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Ask your teacher.
    As far as I know you can't change level on the day (it is allegedly possible for the leaving cert), but I think they can do something to accommodate last minute changes. My maths teacher says that they sometimes have extra papers on the day, and you can just take one of them, but I'd say you'd have to have something else official done as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

Our tutor told us that if we "make a big enough fuss" we can change level on the day. Dunno tho, I'd check it out first.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭Diarmsquid

I thought that filling out that form was your last chance to change.
    Officially that is but i'd say delcan_lgs is probably right, wouldn't chance it though.

Try and get a hold of whoever was organising the things you had to sign about the subject choices. I think it was the career guidance person in my school who did it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Lordz

We were told today we can change levels on the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Within reason, people can change level on the day. The problem is, if large numbers of people in a centre decide to change at the last minute, there will not be enough copies of the paper to go around, and you will have to wait while it's photocopied, or in some cases, while someone goes to another school to get a copy of your chosen level.

Years ago, the Dept. of Ed. used to send out a generous amount above and beyond each level 'ordered' in March, but now the SEC can send as few extras as two per level per centre.

It is 'easier' change level at Leaving Cert. on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Be wary of changing level "on the day", talk it over with parents or teachers or **someone**.

There may be parts of the course that have different emphasis between the levels, so say your drop to lower level, there may be say a poem* that you didn't do at higher level.

* Just an example.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

Well, told my vice principal when I changed Maths level (She's Exams secratary, apparntly) and she siad "Well, if they don't have enouhg papers on thhe day, I can photocopy them for you" So I think it'll be ok on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

The instruction given to Exam Superintendents is NOT to entertain requests for level changes from Junior Cert students on the day of exams.

The only exception to this is a letter from a Manager/Principal/authorised representative asking that a candidate be supplied with a paper of a level other than that indicated on the Centre Roll on the grounds that an error has been made or that some other exceptional circumstance applies.

"Under no circumstances should requests of a general nature be acceded to" - this means requests not backed up by a supporting letter.

As for extra papers being available, usually 2-3 papers are included at the level lower than the one being distributed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Cutie18Ireland

IVE DONE MY JUNIOR CERT AND YES U CAN CHANGE LEVEL ON THE DAY U JUST TAKE THE OTHER PAPER!!! sorry about the caps lock!!!

If there is another paper to take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

IVE DONE MY JUNIOR CERT AND YES U CAN CHANGE LEVEL ON THE DAY U JUST TAKE THE OTHER PAPER!!! sorry about the caps lock!!!

Well I supervise the exams and when I picked up my papers this morning, we were given a sheet of "Important Reminders".

One of the reminders was that there is a "clear procedure for request for change of level at Junior Certificate". It refers to the section which I quoted above.

Maybe you managed to change your paper on the day, but it's against regulations (unless you had a letter requesting the change).

Advertisement