Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Sin City

• 24-05-2005 9:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭

This movie looks class. What does everyone else think. If you get the Sunday Times there is an excellent trailer of it on the Month.Heres the Official Site:

Sin City Site

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

superb film. one of my films of the year tbh :)

the first (i think) trailer was by far the best. (the one with Marv's "bad old days" and Dwight's "big trunk" lines in it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

strange thing is. it looks like its not coming to cambridge :( (where i am at moment) i checked the listings of both cinemas (VUE and CINEWORLD) and i find no mention of the film at all! Even their websites had no mention...

damn glad i'm going home soon, will catch it before i leave again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Saw it whilst I was in Canada last month. My Film of the year so far. Very innovative use of CGI (In your face George Lucas). Fantastic cast. Very funny. Very bloody.
    Captured the style of the graphic novels very well too.
    Incredibly sexy women in it too!

And it only cost something like $40m - which is a bargain these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Does anybody know the certificate? ie:15/16/18 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Saw it in the States earlier in the year, must see it again... id say it'll be an 18's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

fantastic film, id say my favourite of the year so far too.

love the grit, the cheesey line delivery, the gravely voiced heroes and the hot dames ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

weemcd wrote:
    dames ;)
    Dames, truly an underused word... must try it out more often

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Brilliant film, really enjoyed it :D

Great film. Nice to see Elijah doing something different.

"An old man dies. A young girl lives. Fair trade."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Yep very cool film.
    Clive Owen keeps impressing him when I see him in films.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Loved it, never read the comic, eh hm grapic novel but loved it all the same. Great performance from Elijah Wood, with out ever saying a word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Could I ask a stupid question - I never noticed Ellijah in it :eek:

Which part did he play, I know twas a silent role but where was it??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

kevin?! how could you miss elijah
    the canibal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

My film of the year so far - cant wait to see it on a big screen :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

been waiting for this for ages now. big fan of the comic stuff, so the movie was a must-see for me even before i saw the amazing trailer.

jessica alba never looked so good...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

loved it, cant wait to see it in the cinema

it will defintley be 18s alot of violence in it although it is very styilized. i think robert rodriguez finally fulfilled his potential with this film after the utter ****e that was Once Upon A Time in Mexico, slightly off topic but if you get the chance you should read his book/diary about making El Mariachi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

agreed she looks great as a blonde cant wait for fantastic 4!

Thank god Im not the only one who thought OUaTiM was crap. - Still worth it for getting Mickey Rourke as Marv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

i love Marv.

actually gotten very into the comics as of late - for the most part sin city is frame by frame, line for line, dead on :D

guess its what you get when frank miller is co-director :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

yeah, as far as I know it's an 18's cert. I've heard it called by some as the most voilent movie they've seen in a while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Not even when she was in her skimpies in 'Idle Hands'?!?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Ardent

Film of the year for me. Far better than Star Wars. Rourke is sensational in this movie. Cracking use of CGI, first movie based on a comic book that looks like a comic book!

"Broads. Sometimes they just have to let it out. A few buckets later and you'd never even know."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

The Month piece on Sin City is excellent. It features the scene with Josh Hartnett on the balcony wiyth yer one and it looks brilliant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

Sweet wrote:
    The Month piece on Sin City is excellent. It features the scene with Josh Hartnett on the balcony wiyth yer one and it looks brilliant
    yeah they shot that scene before the film was ever made to get frank miller to go with it. then they just showed it to all the actors to get them to sign up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It is an incredible bit of cinema, watched it on dodgy DVD and can't wait ot so it on the big screen, Mickey Rourke is excellent and its the best thing Bruce Willis has done since Pulp Fiction, maybe even better.
    The visuals are jaw dropping, it eclipses StarWars EpIII easily by taking CGI and doing something with them other than animating big robots/spaceships/dinosaurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

I've just seen it and have to agree that it's violent, really violent. Excellent film though. Elijah Wood creeps me out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Great movie alright, easily the best I have seen this year. It will have an 18 cert in Ireland and the UK. A bit like Intermission or Pulp Fiction in that you want to watch it again after seeing it first time. I did anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Alana

Only seen a lil bit of it so far, but it looks really really really good, I LOVE the cinematography, can't wait to go see it in the cinema....so clever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

I've been lookin forward to this for a while, it really does look stunning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Cant wait to see it....Looks sooo good!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Great movie, fantastic atmosphere..
    Very typical portrayal of Irish people though..

Oohh, arrgh, begorrah... I like explosives...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Would've thought that was typical of young male audiences around the world and not just the Irish. It's why everything goes boom/smash in big Hollywood flicks to cries of enjoyment from all:

Yo man I think explosives are phat
    Explosives - jolly good, cup of tea?
    Sacre bleu, j'adore les explosives!
    Sehr gut, ich liebe explosives. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,535 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Have you seen the movie?
    The Oirish guys are mercenaries, a-la ex-paramilitary/IRA members..
    The accents are straight from 'far and away'..

A cracking movie nonetheless..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Great movie, fantastic atmosphere..

I like what they did with that guy. :D
    ...but I've heard a LOT worse portrayals of Irish accents in a lot of more mainstream movies.

I found it tough to follow the first time I saw it, but seeing it a second time really ironed out the creases for me.
    Excellent and innovative. No wonder Hollywood livesa in fear of Rodriguez...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

This is a brilliant film....probably the best film I will see all year....I can't wait for it to come to the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

Saw it in the States 9.5/10. One of the best movies Ive ever seen. :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

When I first heard Clive Owen's voice in it, I thought he was an Irish character - his accent sounded closer to an authentic Irish accent than the Paddy O'Reillys that he met later on. Can it really be that difficult to find genuine Irish actors in the American film industry? I understand the movie is all about charicatures, but it's easy to get sick of the leprechaunisms.

"It's me knoife oi'll be doin' ye with", bejaysus begorrah, spuds and a point.

Other than that, great movie, I'd been looking forward to it and it didn't disappoint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 The Duff

Bought it last night on dodgy dvd. Only watched like 2 minutes of it to see what the quality was like. Its bloody perfect! Cant wait to see it to night. Got Star Wars too, and all for only a tenner! Good in an mans language.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Roll on tonight, and the Mahon cinema has a Hagen-Daz ice-cream parlour as well, so I'll be stuffing my face. I've been looking forward to this film since the first trailer I saw months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

I got a dodgy download and loved it.
    I'm going to the cinema to see it again.

too may classic lines to remember.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

Just back from seeing it in the Savoy. I recommend this film to everyone. Best film i've seen in years. Absolutely brilliant. I'm gonna go a few times for sure.

And to those who have pirates of it, it really is a movie that needs to be seen on the big screen.

• Advertisement

Is it as violent as everyone says it is?

I really want to see this MOVIE!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭ando

sweet film, seen it ages ago but I get the urge every week to see it again and again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

I'm surprised I'm the lone dissenting voice so far. Saw it today in UGC @ 3.20pm.
    I enjoyed the film, but thought it was about 20-30mins too long. It just reached a point where it should've ended, but kept going.

I checked online, and it's based on three separate 'Sin City' graphic novels, so I guess they didn't want to cut out too much material from each segment, but I feel they definitely should've been more liberal with the editing.

Overall the film looks pretty spectacular, and certainly unique, and the acting was mostly spot on, except for Brittany Murphy and Jessica Alba - pretty girls, but not very convincing in their roles (is Alba ever convincing?).

I dunno, I think the movie doesn't quite equal the sum of its parts - a huge and talented cast, a good director, great visuals, OTT violence - but overlong and not as cool as it thinks it is. Definitely one of those hyped-to-its-detriment movies. I'd give it a 6/10, for Mickey Rourke, Bruce Willis and the stunning visuals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Great production values, lots of gratuitous skin and violence, and not much more to be honest. Some of the dialogue was risible, the opening scene with Willis had acting that makes Episode II look like Oscar winning stuff, and Marv's story made pretty much zero sense, just throwing characters together with no real link or explanation (thankfully the Old Town story was better).

I went to this excited, I wanted to enjoy this, but I left feeling the entire thing had been overblown and over rated. It might have been better off as a series of TV movies, but this just didn't do it for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭TCamen

Great production values, lots of gratuitous skin and violence, and not much more to be honest.

Totally agree, I think my main problem with 'Sin City' is that it wasn't entertaining enough for the majority of the bloated running time. For the amount of story there was (i.e not that much), it needed to either be shorter, or to keep the pace going to avoid the audience starting to question the logic of the film instead of enjoying it. I've no problem with flashy, vapid movies as long as they do two things:

1) Keep me entertained.
    2) Don't overstay their welcome.

'Sin City' failed to keep everything ticking over at an enjoyable pace for its running time imo, and that's where it doesn't quite manage to be anything other than a technically beautiful film.
    It might have been better off as a series of TV movies, but this just didn't do it for me.

I think that's what I was getting at when I brought up the point about it being based on three separate novels. Splitting them up into standalone pieces for TV might have worked better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LoneGunM@n

What an excellent film ... I especially liked the single colours used against the black & white throughout the film!

What scene did Tarrantino direct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sweet wrote:
    MOVIE!!! :D:D Nice dramatic effect there

Dramatic? No. Annoying? Yes

To answer your question though, it is very very violent (and there's nudity too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

LoneGunM@n wrote:
    What scene did Tarrantino direct?

The scene with Jackie Boy in the car (
    well... dead Jackie Boy in the car, with Dwight
    ) as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Great stylish movie. I enjoyed it thoroughly. Its all about the style though. Some very funny lines in it. Extremely violent/gory - but in a comic-book way.

the tarantino bit i think was
    the conversation between Clive Owen and Benicio Del Toro's head in the car.

i overheard someone saying that in the cinema last night - so I'm by no means sure.

• Advertisement
Advertisement