Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Sin City

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

And who is naked?

WOOHOO 200th post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Stompbox

Hey who changed my posts into one gayass post. It now totally loses dramatic effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

<offtopic>
    especially considering you are only at 197 posts
    </offtopic>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 626 ✭✭✭Kazaanova

Saw this today, great film on the big screen. I've hated pretty much all of Robert Rodriguez's work so far except for this. All of his work looks great, but this is on a different level, and it gets everything right where hes failed before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Sweet wrote:
    Is it as violent as everyone says it is?
    Yes, especially
    the bit at the end with the *ahem* tearing off the 'weapon'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Fionn McCOOL

Sin City is simply quite amazing. Lightyears ahead of anything in its genre. I've got this already and I'm going to the cinema to see it again this weekend because it deserves every admission fee it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

good to hear the positivity. i'll be checking it out over the weekend. can't wait :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Great movie, fantastic atmosphere..
    Very typical portrayal of Irish people though..

Oohh, arrgh, begorrah... I like explosives...

The dialogue throughout the whole film was corny but I think it suited the film perfectly. It needed that comic book effect to go with the visuals and plot. If you had real Irish accents it would make the film too real. Same with the somewhat ropey lines spouted throughout the film. They made the film for me. Also I thought it was far too short.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 199 ✭✭fun bus

Loved mickey rourke as marv-what a character. film of the year so far without a doubt(hoping batman can surpass it though!!) ill never look at elijah wood the same way again-creepy or what!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Definetely a case of style over substance. However, it's got such a refreshing style that it pulls the whole thing off. It really did feel like a comic-book onscreen, and I felt I was viewing particular panels at the time (which, from what I know, I was). The plot didn't have any great weight but it mostly pulled it through. I think the movie could have been trimmed a little but, regardless, anyone with the slightest interest in film making should go and see it to see a different approach to Hollywood's norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Cina

I loved the film, it was over the top, violent, full of nudity but it was just great. I agree with ixoy on some levels, it was style over substance for the most past, but it was just so stylish and so utterly faithful to the comic books themselves that it was great. Looked beautiful and decent acting for the most part (especcially benicio and Mickey Rourke) , I think the Willis/Alba storyline was definately the weakest of the 3 but other than that it was great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

When I saw the Comic-con preview several months ago, I wasn't impressed at all. I was afraid Rodriguez was going to interject comic panels into the film as in the preview. The scenes themselves were very static - no camera movements or kinesis to the frame.

But with the scenes put into context, and with a proper soundtrack, it works. This is a terrific film. While it's stylish, the look of the film compliments the stories rather than sidelining them. It also makes great use of CGI, much more so than the likes of Revenge of the Sith. The stories themselves were hugely entertaining and gratifyingly violent (the film could easily have been renamed Castration City given the amount of times men were shot and stabbed in the crotch or in one case just plain had their balls ripped off).

The acting was great - Mickey Rourke was far and away the best of the lot though. It's certainly not a date movie but this film is unmissable. If you don't buy into the film's pulpy stories or overblown style, you could end up very bored. Everyone else will have a blast. But it's worth the risk: go and see it right this second.

It's certainly not a date movie but this film is unmissable.

Have to disagree, me and the girlfriend had a great time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭BraveheartGal

the dialogue was corny
    but i mean, it was practically word for word from the comic so its ok

savage film
    the guy with the arrow in his stomach?? i died laughin
    and when he ripped out kevins "weapon" ergh

brillaint
    (d'u know quentin taratino directed the scene with the irish guys and then the lads in the boot?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bonzai bob

Saw this yesterday, had to drag my gf into it!!

I was dissapointed to be honest, it's not a bad movie, but i think *too* many people are creaming themselves over it.

It started off VERY slow and boring, it only got slightly interesting when marvs character came into it, and even then those particular scenes started off slow too. Only picking up a little pace when Marv starts
    'killing his way to the top'
    , but then it looses pace again. Finally it got interested when Benicio Del Toro and Clive Owen came on the scene, that entertained me for a while but then it got boring again.

All in all, a movie that lacked entertainment and pace but held together with style.(5/10)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

I enjoyed it. It wasn't life changing or anything but it was quite entertaining. I'll agree that it was a bit too long but there are many memorable lines and enjoyable moments from it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,197 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Sequel time :D which means they're be dwights backstory in there (A Dame To Kill For) and Wallace aka longhair (Hell and Back), which'd be the ones i'd be looking forward to :)

imdb already has a sequel listed for 2007

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I absolutely loved this film. Such style, such attitude. And a first-class cast.
    Everything from the acting right down to the lighting effects were top-notch I thought. I'm not hugely into the comics, but I think that's irrelevant, this was such an enjoyable movie.
    I'm sure it's been mentioned already but Rodriguez and Miller confirmed that Sin City II and III will be filmed back to back next year.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already but Rodriguez and Miller confirmed that Sin City II and III will be filmed back to back next year.

I'm kind of apprehensive about sequels, I wish Hollywood would just let a good movie be. The Matrix was destroyed by sequels (and let's not mention prequels...). Although Spider-Man 2 was amazing but that's the exception that seems to prove the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Just excelent. Didnt think it would be so good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ixoy wrote:
    Definetely a case of style over substance.

I couldn't agree more ixoy.

The film had it's problems, the dialogue of times was atrocious. But it fitted the film.

The film didn't aspire to excellent dialogue or "high theater" motivations and themes. It was brutally simple. The dialogue was perfect to compliment this. I found the film very enjoyable, and in parts extremely funny.

For instance. Marv was a very one-dimensional character in quite a few respects. But he worked perfectly as one. His character never aspired to any "greater purpose". Marv was a scarred street tough with a weakness for women. Nothing more, nothing less. Mickey Rourke in my opinion played the role exceptionally well, at no time did I have trouble relating his acting to the character that I felt Marv should be.

But the reason I enjoyed the film was because it had style and class. Not because it had superb acting or stunning dialogue, but because it was an over the top homage to the film noir genre.

It as a film never aspired to be anything but the telling of simple character based stories. Nothing extra added.

Episode III on the otherhand aspired to high politics and tragic characters falling from grace. These are not simple concepts and are extremely difficult to pull off.

Sin City's characters weren't "basically good people pushed too far" they were violent law-breaking murderers, who had a trace of redemption in them. But at no point in the film is there a "jarring" scene where a character is "redeemed" in the eyes of the cinema-goer.

The characters aren't pretty, and I'm happy they weren't sugar coated to make them more PC or easier to swallow.

As I said. The film had it's problems, but I must admit I really enjoyed it, and normally I'm horribly critical of films. So I take this as a good sign. The film worked for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

This film just left me angry, people were walking out of the cinema and turning on their phones to send text messages. On every single level, plot, characters, token taboo sexist image of women, awesome 12 yr old violence, I can't go on, sheer rubbish, tacky nerd film that just dragged on and on, how was there any challenge at all to make this thing? the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

Bunny wrote:
    token taboo sexist image of women

I think it's feasible to argue that men were portrayed worse in the film.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Bunny wrote:
    token taboo sexist image of women
    Well Robert Rodriguez wouldn't agree with you, in an article in last week's Sunday Times:
    There is no point in pretending Sin City is a man's world. It is run by women. They hold th real power there, as they do in life. It's just that the guys think they are the most powerful people around. So the women had to be drop-dead sexy as well as powerful. I just looked for the best I could."
    And surely it's an equally token taboo sexist image to betray all men as violent fanatics, but I don't see you arguing that one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭bp_me

ixoy wrote:
    And surely it's an equally token taboo sexist image to betray all men as violent fanatics, but I don't see you arguing that one...

True, I can't remember the last time I bet up some hitmen for information, and not feel bad about it.*

*I never actually beat up anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

Just saw it last night, brilliant film with good pacing [didn't find the start slow at all], stories were nicly linked [the charcters not actual stories], well done scences of violence though a little bit too much castration for my liking. Marv's [violent] story was best though good performances by clive owen and B del T in that respective story. Overvall very well done movie..... and yes Jessica Alba is very hot in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

My girlfriend and I went to see Sin City yesterday and both came out really impressed. Sure, it's a bit of style over substance, but it pulled it off so well. I can't think of another film I've seen that this feels like it was taken from and it actually feels "fresh" as a result (if that makes sense?).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I saw ith this evening and really enjoyed. I agree with the above - it's definitely a case of style over substance but intentionally so and it works well. It does a very good job of bring a graphic novel to life and I think that this only works because of the simplicity of the film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭Bunny

Really? I thought all the women were either prostitutes or dancers in it.. they really like their prostitution too and their gunz cos they run megacity1, they even like being roughed up a bit yeah you like that don't you yeah .. in the dark seedy corners of Gotham, a crying 11 year old girl.. but will his demons stop him, he'll never give up, that evils mayor's son grr I just hate him so much bwwaahahaha you'll never stop me Judge Dread even if you do have a heart of gold but a blood thirsty vengence and a cigarette.. ****ing hell did a 13 year old counterstrike player write that comic?

What I love most is its originality, the way its 'dark' .. its so hard to tell the good guys from the bad good guys and the bad guys and the token fascist cops their characters are just complex...

Forget your undying loyalty to starwars or said comic book..
    The film was boring.
    People were leaving/yawning/sending text messages.
    The plot was crap.
    The script was oh jesus.
    It just didn't end and went on and on.

It should definitely be banned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭balkieb2002

^^^^ troll ^^^^

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I saw it yesterday and thought it was brilliant. Film of the year with out a doubt. The cast is just amazing in it, from Willis to Rooke who was excellent. Storylines were amazing and i was surpirsed how good Clive Owen was. I'm not a big fan but he impressed me.
    After i came out of the cinema i wanted to see it again, i wanted it on DVD and i wanted to see II and III. Does anyone know about the sequals?? who will be in it??
    So if you havent seen you should. its a mix of Kill:Bill/Goodfellas

Bunny wrote:
    ****ing hell did a 13 year old counterstrike player write that comic?

No, if Marv stood over the corpse and went "OFG U SUX0rZ!" then it would have been written by a 13 year old counterstrike player.

Personally, I thought the film was very true to life. When hitmen come after me I've no qualms about torturing them to find out who sent them.

Everybody does it, you're just afraid to admit it.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Bunny wrote:
    What I love most is its originality, the way its 'dark' .. its so hard to tell the good guys from the bad good guys and the bad guys and the token fascist cops their characters are just complex...

Forget your undying loyalty to starwars or said comic book..
    The film was boring.
    People were leaving/yawning/sending text messages.
    The plot was crap.
    The script was oh jesus.
    It just didn't end and went on and on.

Congratulations. You and everyone you claim felt the same way (and, tbh, I've yet to hear anyone I know say they didn't like it or that they saw people leaving half-way through) have utterly and completely missed the point.

The plots? Fast and simple. It's not meant to be complicated; it's based on pulp noir stories, fer crying out loud. They're basically revenge stories. It's not about substance, it's about style.

The script? Well, if you haven't read any of the comics you can be forgiven for not expecting this, but there are a lot of noir clichés. A lot of the film's dialogue is a playful exaggeration of this, and I for one found it funny because of it.

I notice you don't comment on the visuals, the physical performances of the actors, or the action set pieces. All of which where very good and, really, if you can't see that then, well, what on earth made you go to see this film anyway? I mean, the trailer was a fairly honest depiction of what the full film was?

Fysh wrote:
    Congratulations. You and everyone you claim felt the same way (and, tbh, I've yet to hear anyone I know say they didn't like it or that they saw people leaving half-way through) have utterly and completely missed the point.

The plots? Fast and simple. It's not meant to be complicated; it's based on pulp noir stories, fer crying out loud. They're basically revenge stories. It's not about substance, it's about style.

The script? Well, if you haven't read any of the comics you can be forgiven for not expecting this, but there are a lot of noir clichés. A lot of the film's dialogue is a playful exaggeration of this, and I for one found it funny because of it.

I notice you don't comment on the visuals, the physical performances of the actors, or the action set pieces. All of which where very good and, really, if you can't see that then, well, what on earth made you go to see this film anyway? I mean, the trailer was a fairly honest depiction of what the full film was?

People are entitled to not like the films that you like.

I just find it helps to think of them as little sub-human amoeba created by consumer culture and demographically targetted advertising.

But then, I'm an open-minded people person.

Bunny wrote:

Yes, it should be banned because you don't like it :rolleyes:

Have to say, went to see it in Ster Century and the screen was packed and not one person left early and for once no phone rang during the movie. I think your sweeping generalisation doesn't hold true when I review most of the posts here. If you don't like it that's fine but come on, at least give a proper criticism, not a half baked rant.

Fysh wrote:
    (and, tbh, I've yet to hear anyone I know say they didn't like it or that they saw people leaving half-way through)

Actually, i DO think it's WAAAAY overated and there was one person who left early during it.

In fact, i seriously contemplated leaving during it myself, but i thought that would have been a waste of money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Saw it last night, thought it was fantastic.

About 20 people did walk out though - most looked like the less discerning type of cinema goer though - nice baseball cap and shell suits all round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

Question: When I went to see it the sound kept going off now and then, not too bad until the end when the sound completly died when...
    Hardigan shot himself, Why did he do it? what did he say before he did it?

I was well pissed, out of a full cinema only about 20 complained, there's rip off ireland for you.

• Advertisement

Spacedog wrote:
    Question: When I went to see it the sound kept going off now and then, not too bad until the end when the sound completly died when...
    Hardigan shot himself, Why did he do it? what did he say before he did it?

I was well pissed, out of a full cinema only about 20 complained, there's rip off ireland for you.
    He repeated the same lines he said earlier in the film when we though he died,, he shot himself because Alba's character would always be in danger if he was still alive, i can't remember the exact line, something like ''old man for a little girl, fair trade''

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

His final speech is basically saying that he knows that Senator Roark would never give up hounding Hartigan & Nancy if they were together, and he paraphrases his earlier line as "An old man dies, a young woman lives. Seems like a fair trade to me". Then he shoots himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭munkeehaven

saw it last night...excellent....this is one that i'm going to have to buy as soon as it comes out...elijah wood is so creepy in it....he no longer is just a hobbit in my head..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭*Angel*

I can't wait to see it, it looks pretty good. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Excellent movie i have to say.. apart from the fact its got great comic CGI and is very atmospheric.. apart from all that stuff the story is very good. Dialogue is also great and very funny... and my GOD the women are HOT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

When I went to see it the sound kept going off now and then, not too bad until the end when the sound completly died when...

Strangely enough, there were sound problems with it in Omniplex Oranmore also! :mad:

But anyway - fantastic film. Long time since I've found a film so thoroughly enjoyable. Amazing performances all around, and definately the most stylish movie I've seen all year, if not ever! Cannot recommend this enough....

Elijah Wood was so damn creepy in it, so unnerving!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

it was pulp trash and celebreted this. It took the scene set by Blade 2 and hellboy (in bring pure comic book entertainment, leave your brain at home cinema) and ran with it. Having Frank Miller co direct was a great move.....well duh! The Sin City books stand out on their own. Brilliant film.

I just hope we dont see the style parodied in Adverts or any of the Scary movie....movies. It will ruin the impact of the sequels.. Matrix style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Strangely enough, there were sound problems with it in Omniplex Oranmore also! :mad: g!
    Hmmm, there was sound problems too in ugc when I saw it last week. Only the front speakers worked for half the movie and the other speakers kept on turning off...then on again...it was rather annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

great flick - enough said

CodeMonkey wrote:
    Hmmm, there was sound problems too in ugc when I saw it last week. Only the front speakers worked for half the movie and the other speakers kept on turning off...then on again...it was rather annoying.

There were sound problems in Ster as well now that I think about it. Not in the same places as mentioned above which makes me wonder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,023 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Fysh, what is the point of having a spoiler when you call your post "Hartigan's last words"!?!?

Thanks man i haven't seen it yet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement