Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

xBOX 360 BACKWARDS COMPATABILITY. THE REAL TRUTH?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ciaran500 wrote:
    http://www.qbrundage.com/michaelb/pubs/essays/xbox360.html

"the more you understand what it needs to do, the more certain you are that it's impossible, and consequently the more amazed you are to see it in action."

"some people observe the CPU and GPU architectures are utterly different between the Xbox 360 and the Xbox, and then speculate about the difficulties those differences pose for emulation. Without really understanding anything that's involved, they're already convinced that backwards compatibility is a difficult task."

"So a few people who understand how emulators work look at these numbers, impressive as they are, and conclude that Xbox backwards compatibility will not work."

Sounds like he's talking about you :p

Interesting read, I never said it wasn't possible, just that it is hard.

Alan Turing (the father of computers) work in the field of computability theory with his universal Turing machine taught us that any machine can emulate any other machine, as long as the machine doing the emulation is sufficiently powerful.

However the Turing machine is a theoritical machine with infinite memory and it doesn't say anything about the emulated mahine running fast or the real world implementation problems that it involves.

I'm really hope that I'm wrong, that MS come out and amaze us all with 100% backwards compatibility. While Michael's post is interesting, it has far too little real substance and uses the world "magic" far too much for my liking (in fact using the word magic even once usually makes me with to hurl!!). I'm looking forward to seeing what they have.

BTW I fall into the second camp he mentions above rather then the first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭silverlining

MS are getting great publicity out of this rumour mill while they give vague answers over and over again. I'm just going to wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

whoa this started some angry people off. jesus!

VIVA Lá REVOLUTíON!!!!!!!! :D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

steviec wrote:
    Again, they're just covering their tracks. The PS2 wasn't 100% backwards compatible either.

Maybe, but stuff like this makes me think MS just don’t know, don’t have a clue, or at least they’re not sure, or maybe just bullish...

http://gamestoaster.typepad.com/games_toaster/2005/05/streaming_music.html

Advertisement