Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transition Year!!!

Options
  • 24-05-2005 11:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭

Best year ever or wat?!?!?!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭grimloch

from certain aspects yes, the activities are deadly and the thing gives a nice break and an oppurtunity to try and work for a bit

however my motivation was shattered entirely by TY and getting back into a routine is challenging enough to say the least

but in conclusion its a great thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Nope. Biggest waste of a year. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 568 ✭✭✭newgrange

Depends very much on the co-ordinator, the students and the school.
    Has the potential to be a really educational and useful year, but also to be a dossing waste of time.
    You get out of it what you put into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭elvenscout742

Well, I've got great use out of it. Learned a lot, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

best ****ing year we ever had. Made me teh lazy git I am :)

best mates there, doing sfa, run of the school and computer room at the time.

trip to prague.

/me reminisces :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭MoeHawk

Our school De La Salle in Waterford made a terrible effor of it, no overbight trips or anything! a flaming joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh, reminds me of the trip to wexford aswell.

lmfao. that was some 2 day trip :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭the smiley one

Def, had the time of my life!
    In our school it's compulsory so its really well strucutured and you do lots of worthwhile stuff- form and fusion, young scientist, ski trip, delphi, helping charity organisations, sign language, fencing, scuba-diving, pottery, european studies.... and that's just the stuff I can remember!
    Best year in school!

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 335 ✭✭katiegordon

I had a great year.Its not so much about wat u learn, more about the friendships u make and i know ive matured alot in d last year aswell.You just have such a laugh id recommend it to ANYONE!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Im still divided on it, had a lot of fun and really enjoyed it... but it wiped my mind of most useful acedemic information.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

That was an absoutely amazing year. It's not compulsory in my school but everyone did it. It was the bext laugh I've ever had; snowboarding in New Hampshire, school exchange in NY, a week at recess, play with Loreto Foxrock, not doing homework once during the year. Oh the memories.

Just be prepared for the unbelievable shock of the first 2 weeks of 5th year. It really is awful, but once you remember how to do homework and pay attention you're alright

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

dear lord, the most boring year of my life. No challenge, ridiculous projects and rubbish activities, and i'm not one of those people who doesn't volunteer for things, i've done every club and organisation but two this year. i'm a little bitter, in my school this year became an excuse for the teachers to shout, bully and pick on the well behaved students. Needless to say, the problem was my school, not transition year itself. i suppose other people liked it.
    only 4 days left anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

I did TY last year and without a doubt it was the best year ever. All we did all year was laugh. Even though all my friends in 6th year finished today I wouldnt change it for the world.

Best. Year. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Vainglory

newgrange wrote:
    Depends very much on the co-ordinator, the students and the school.
    Has the potential to be a really educational and useful year, but also to be a dossing waste of time.
    You get out of it what you put into it.

Argh, that was my TY coordinator's catchphrase, she used it religiously :mad:

You don't go to school on Griffith Avenue do you?

dear lord, the most boring year of my life. No challenge, ridiculous projects and rubbish activities, and i'm not one of those people who doesn't volunteer for things, i've done every club and organisation but two this year. i'm a little bitter, in my school this year became an excuse for the teachers to shout, bully and pick on the well behaved students. Needless to say, the problem was my school, not transition year itself. i suppose other people liked it.
    only 4 days left anyway.

i think fourth is really what you make of it yourself, in school youre given first and second year maths and irish. not starting on the leaving cert i might add, but after school you pretty much have the oppurtunity to do anything within reason

a hobby, exercise and a job are the most popular things people in my TY did to keep busy

as someone said you get out what you put into it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Geranium

It's freakin' amazing in Ashbourne Community school, I can't believe tomorrow's my last day...
    Fencing, driving, magazines, rap workshops, plays, musicals and best of all three classes a week of FILM STUDIES. Heaven!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Da_IRISH_ONE4U

Trans Yr's in our school are finished since last week sometime. I skipped it... There were only 8 others doing it for my year and they were all ****heads. Id love to have done it this year though. There was 52 and it was brilliant!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

better suited to the junior cert board i would have thought?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

I like and dislike TY. I think it very boring for school, we do little in class and once it get usd to english I find it very board, but on other hand it can be fun, we do lot on how to use computer (which I never use before) and on little bits of subjects which I find good for this year, it help you pick subjects, work experience was also fun, Say that it would have hate to do it proper with projects on history and geography and irish ledgends!! So i see why people not like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Biggest waste of my time ever. It literally ruined my life. If I'd skipped TY I would have been in 5th year a year earlier. That way when my parents decided to move us abroad I would have been going in to 6th year so it would not have been possible for me to move. I'm now totally failing in England because the system is so different. Well not failing but doing far worse than I did in Ireland.

• Advertisement

one of the useful things i got out of TY was the ECDL yoke without having to pay the extortianate fees in a testing centre

some of the stuff done was a good laugh, sailing, trips i should have gone on, rock climbing, no schoolwork ever, no hassle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭chickens

LadyLotts wrote:
    Biggest waste of my time ever. It literally ruined my life. If I'd skipped TY I would have been in 5th year a year earlier. That way when my parents decided to move us abroad I would have been going in to 6th year so it would not have been possible for me to move. I'm now totally failing in England because the system is so different. Well not failing but doing far worse than I did in Ireland.

I know what you mean, I go to school for few weeks in england, it very strange standard and subjects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭sci0x

TY was the best year of my life. Not in any way did it help me decide my subjects for the future or what job I would like to do, but we went around the country, done loads of courses in first aid and all that, and had a great time through it all. I would highly recommend it, but it is a dos of year, but I do feel I came out more mature than i went in and everyone who done TY the year I done it are all excellent students now and we're all going to do great in the leaving!

I just finished it on Thursday we had our graduation. Everyone was crying i cant believe its over i am dreading nxt year.Transition Year was just such a brilliant year. Im a different person to wat i was this time last year!I dont know how anyone could skip it..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭Shyster

TY was brill. It might depend on the school and the yeargroup, but we had a great year. Everyone took part and made the most out of it. Its compulsory in my school and the teachers make an effort to organise activities to keep us interested like canoeing, wall-climbing, horse-riding, modelling(?!), journalism courses, driving, and day trips etc....
    Its a cliché at this stage but you really do get out of it what you put into it.Id recommend it to anyone, no matter how old you'll be doing your leaving cos of it!!

Does anyone else think dershud be a nonexam related forum???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭ed6hellsfresh

i think that transition yr was a complete waste of everyones time.
    looking back now had i known how little actual work/progress towards the most important exam of my life would actually get accomplished i would have stayed at home and studied all year.

Can you imagine how cool it would have been to have covered the course in 4th and 5th and then have had an entire year(6th) to study.

i know most of us wish we had started earlier so imagine having studied for an entire year!!!

Thing that was odd was that our school made a point of NOT starting on the LC, 3 years for the LC would have been quite nice, the school work was so pointless and unfulfilling

I dont think the schools allowed to, its unfair or something.
    They can do work that will benefit you for it but not the actual coursework.
    well thats what we were told........

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Well I really, really enjoyed TY - I think it's what you make of it really. Loads of people just took it as an opportunity to not come into school and to faff around, those are the people that wasted their year off.
    Although, having said that, it also depends on the school - some schools have such crappy, unstructured TY programmes, it's not worth delaying an extra year

Advertisement