Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Motorbike - What make / model to buy?

Options
  • 25-05-2005 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭

Im looking for a classic motor bike (20 years+ old)

I will probably buy it in England as I hear people tend to drive them less
    that us.

Anyone any ideas of makes / models I could look at.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭Con9903

Triumph

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

From the seventies my choice would be something sensible and _non-get your hands dirty every weekendy_ type bike like the Suzuki GS550, but if you desire 'heartbeat' type nostalgia and attention on the open road- look no further than a Norton Dominator 600 from 1960something, needs the open-face helmet,chin out posture & ww2 aviator type goggles to complete the picture though :D

Norton.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭worded

Cheers for those.

For the purposes of cheap insurance (Im not really mechanical)
    what do you think is the most reliable youngest classic model?

Like early 20s if poss. 1985- models / makes.
    The least repair the better. Im thinking of doing Europe on it so it has to be
    sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

a 15yo bike can be insured as a classic, so early 1990.
    You should ring Carole Nash to see what restrictions apply. I'm not sure if it has to be garaged, but you do need a full licence (you probably have, saying this for others benefit). There is no restriction on mileage on a classic bike, so you can use it as your main machine.
    I believe classic insurance costs about 250-400, depending on the bike. Macs motorcycles in Islandbridge have a large selection of classic bikes.

-ao-

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

How about a Harley Davidson?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

Pataman wrote:
    How about a Harley Davidson?

he said reliable

:D

nothing beats a bros 400/650 cheap enought to pick up and pretty much indestructable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Buy mine !!!, check the link in my sig

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

worded wrote:
    Im thinking of doing Europe on it so it has to be
    sound.
    Europe would rule out Triumphs, Nortons and hardly drivables on reliability grounds, better you get a 4 stroke single trailbike, Maybe a Yamaha XT600 Tenere or similar they are very reliable and if something goes wrong 1 cylinder makes it much easier to suss problems out.
    It's your call but a Japanese bike is usually much more reliable than English and American bikes.
    As a_ominous stated bikes 15 years old will be considered classic by the likes of Carol Nash.
    My 1988 Honda NX650 is considered a classic now:)

I like the look of these Terens. Wonder if they would be comfortable for a
    long journey?

Thanks to every one for the suggestions. Any more welcome

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/motos/yamaha/antigas/xt600-tenere-estrang-4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

worded wrote:
    I like the look of these Terens. Wonder if they would be comfortable for a
    long journey?

Thanks to every one for the suggestions. Any more welcome

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/motos/yamaha/antigas/xt600-tenere-estrang-4.jpg
    Probably one of the most comfortable seats on any trailbike built in the last 20years. The small fairing helps with wind buffeting.
    look atthis

• Advertisement

madrab wrote:
    he said reliable

:D

nothing beats a bros 400/650 cheap enought to pick up and pretty much indestructable

> Ive had a good look around and the BROS 400 is a good bet.

400 as Ive just got a full licence and saves $ getting a 650 restricted.

Ive two issues with the bros for touring.
    1) Low bars - leaning forward - though Im told you get used to it
    2) Luggage / side thingys for saddle bags of boxs. The tank is high so I dont know if a tank bag is suitable ... ...

> Buying an Import from dealer is expensive as the first owner BUT
    a lot of the second hand Bros are really well driven.

Im debating paying shop 2500 for Bros 89 Jap Import just arrived with 3 month warranty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

If you've got €1,200 in twenty euro notes, wave it in front of this fella and I betcha he'll bite :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 The Termignator

How much are you willing to spend?

Well considering that Im almost certainly getting a Bros - I will pay market
    value I suppose.

It has to be a classic = 15+ years
    So privately that means 1000+ depending on condition.

My concern is leaning forward on a bike all over Europe / confort - but its just about the only choise as its the most dependable everyone says.

* Has anyone ever seen a Bros carrier that would cater for side thingys as well as top box?

Advertisement