Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bluetooth dongle vs USB data cable vs IR - Nokia 6230i

Options
  • 25-05-2005 1:12am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28

I just bought the nokia 6230i, but no data cable came with it. I am wondering what is the best thing to buy for transfering files to/from a PC - a bluetooth dongle, a USB data cable (DKU-2), or an IR device? Which has the fastest transfer rate? Does anyone know the cheapest place to buy these either online or in Galway city?

Also, what is the difference between class I and class II bluetooth dongles, and what else can it be used for apart from tranfering files to/from mobiles?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭GoneShootin

frogg wrote:
    Also, what is the difference between class I and class II bluetooth dongles, and what else can it be used for apart from tranfering files to/from mobiles?

"Field Range". Class I has a field range of 10m, while Class II has range of 100m. By field range I mean a clear distance with no wall/structure to impede the signal.

That can depend on the software, but for example I have used my mobile + bluetooth dongle allow me mobile to be used as a mobile to connect to the net.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Fabritzo

In my experience with the 6230 Bluetooth is about 50Kb/sec and the cable is about 1Megabyte per sec, if yer gonna get a big card for the phone, I'd say get the cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Yeah. Cable is faster, but the bluetooth is so handy unless you are constantly changing files and also sending lots of stuff, but if its to fill a card, i'd go for a card reader! very inexpensive and fast and simple

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

wolfman wrote:
    Yeah. Cable is faster, but the bluetooth is so handy unless you are constantly changing files and also sending lots of stuff, but if its to fill a card, i'd go for a card reader! very inexpensive and fast and simple

I'd definitely go with the cable, bluetooth is definitely handier for file transfer but bluetooth on the 6230 for me was woefull, I got it flashe from 4.23 to 4.44 and it still didn't hold the pairing when I used the phone as a modem.
    Only really worked when I flashed it again to 5.35(with some issues still)

This was a known issue with the 6230, I'd say they addressed it with the 6230i.
    I'd still plump for the data cable though for the speed and stability (especially if using the phone as a modem) and have the bluetooth as back up for it's handiness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 frogg

Thanks for your help. I think i'll go for the data cable or a card reader. How much faster is a card reader? Do any of ye know a good place to get these online or in Glaway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

frogg wrote:
    Thanks for your help. I think i'll go for the data cable or a card reader. How much faster is a card reader? Do any of ye know a good place to get these online or in Glaway?

i got this baby to use with my camera memory card...only got a 6230 the other day and its compatable with that memory card aswell.....good reader for the money... :D bluetooth is handy allright but for speed, as said above the reader is the business. Only drawback is you have to open up the phone to take out the card every time u want to access it...

Advertisement