Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Yet another VRT (and road tax) question

Options
  • 25-05-2005 1:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,269 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the VRT situation is on cars being brought in for Limo work. A friend is considering buying - get this - a few cars from the States.

He's considering an 8 to 10 year old stretch Lincoln, a mid '60s convertible Mustang and a Chrysler Sebring convertible. (He reckons there are lots of people will want the Sebring for special occasions 'cos it's American and "classy" and seats 4. I told him to buy a Mustang if he wants something new. But "the new ones are shíte.") I guess there's no accounting for taste He recently got his PSV licence but has decided against a taxi as "there's too many doing it".

Anyway, as far as the 60's Mustang goes, there's just the €50 admin fee. But whats the situation with the limo? I really just need confirmation. I've told him there is no such thing as a commercial car and that all cars are liable for VRT except those over 30 years. Please confirm so I can show him before the VRT people laugh at him.

How would he go about taxing these cars? Do they need to be registered as public service vehicles?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Unless its over 30 years he will have to pay up VRT on their valuation. As its an american gas guzzler it prob has a bigger than 3ltr eng which would mean road tax in excess of €1300. Taxi road tax is only €150 i think. It would also have to pass a suitablity test, dunno if yank mobiles will meet our emission standards?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If the limo has 12 or more permanently fitted seats, technically it becomes a category c minibus and there is a flat €50 VRT charge but he will need a D1 license to drive it. AFAIK a super stretch Lincoln towncar takes up to 10 passengers in the back so if he can get away with counting the two front seats too, he's got a minibus!

Advertisement