Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boiling Point Mini-Review

Options
  • 25-05-2005 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Do not touch this game until it has been patched.... several times.

Great idea, bad execution.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭bambam

very bug-tastic, but a patch is on the way apparently.
    here's some blurb from www.boiling-point.net (free reg required)

" The first official patch will contain:
    #The cars want dissappear any more when you leave them in distance of 200 metres
    #Some missions will have fixes
    #The guy down the river wont search you any more even if he is dead
    More features to come!!!!!"

AND

"Quote:
    boake Wrote:
    This was translated by [babelfish.altavista.com] smile
    Anyway I'm so happy that the patch will be released real soon.

Text:
    - the texts do not remain any more with the screen after a phone call
    - the enemy messages appear now in a correct way
    - the assistances are posted now at the good time

Missions:
    - the CIA: the missions are not rewarded any more as much as they are not
    successful
    - the mission of the suicide: the mission disappears from the list if you fail
    - the problems minor which prevented the realization of certain missions are
    now solved.

Graph:
    - the problems graph at the time of died of the hero or at the time of died of
    the NPC in the cities were solved.

Its:
    - problems minor such as the dialogues which buckle were solved.

Camera:
    - problems minor of camera were regulated.

Vehicles:
    - the problem of the cars which disappear (rare problem) was solved
    - the problem of the vehicles which are blocked in the decorations or which do
    not appear correctly on the mini-chart is solved.
    - the missions of taxi post from now on the options correctly.

Localization:
    - Some defect of translation were regulated

Various:
    - the station of police force donot can be destroyed any more by the crossbow.
    - From now on, when Saul makes fall an object, only this object disappears from
    the inventory.

Improvements:
    - Crashes: some crashes rare (not easily reproducible) was noticed especially
    during the loadings of the safeguards rapid. The patch will correct this bug.
    - Artificial Intelligence: the behavior of the NPC is improved by the patch.
    Some examples: the NPC avoid from now on the obstacles at the time of their
    displacements, they are defended when they are attacked and their animations
    were worked over again."

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

How long until its patched ? I think it looks relaly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I played the demo and was totally underwhelmed by it altho the idea of the game sounds fantastic.

But by the list of those bug fixes the game sounds woefully incomplete.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Link to the demo please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

From reading the box and the entire premise of the game, it seemed very much in spirit like Far Cry v2 to me...

Otherwise good. Saw it in Gamestop a while ago, but didn't want to fork out for it without any reviews!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

From reading the box and the entire premise of the game, it seemed very much in spirit like Far Cry v2 to me...

Otherwise good. Saw it in Gamestop a while ago, but didn't want to fork out for it without any reviews!
    After playing with it for a while - its very much like Deus Ex (even graphically). Only its a huge sandbox with no loading. That is probably the reason for all the lag - because the graphics are fairly DirectX7 standard.

I've heard nothing but good things about Boiling Point. All of the reviews I've read so far have all praised it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 404 ✭✭calhob_ie

Boiling Point = Midwinter 2 with better graphics, although not by much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

The patch is available now, get it from;

http://www.gamershell.com/download_9412.shtml

US Patch only, changes some files but not all. Potentially bork the install for future patches. Although it will stil run if you apply the linked patch.

Euro patch is due out "soon"

• Advertisement

Well i just installed it...

will report back :D

Well, it stalled after a while when getting into a car :mad:

Pritty good game though.

PS The main character is 'Habid Marwan' (sp?) from 24!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Installed it yesterday with the US patch. It still has more bugs than starship troopers (to rob a joke from another thread). Some of the graphics options menus don't let you out when you go into them, the sound cuts out nearly all the time and objects regularly pass through each other or get stuck. They really need to get this sorted out, seems like it could be a good game but the bugs just ruin it.

Its not just bugs though...the game feels unfinished. It really is lakcing polish in all areas. Unplayable in its current form.

Atari had better get their act together. Rollercoaster Tycoon 3 also had major bugs when it was released....

Tusky wrote:
    Its not just bugs though...the game feels unfinished. It really is lakcing polish in all areas. Unplayable in its current form.
    Definitely, I reinstalled without the patch, and it's actually slightly better. I'm still seriously considering taking it back for a refund though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Whats the recommended system spec. for the game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

RE*AC*TOR check your PM's dude :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Mohanned wrote:
    RE*AC*TOR check your PM's dude :)
    I checked it - a pm soliciting a sponsor for soccer access.

Why would you post that in this thread about a computer game?

The engine is pretty **** also. It looks about half as nice as half life 2 and plays about half as smoothly...sound is really buggy for me too, doesnt seem to like my 5.1 speakers.

SofaKing wrote:
    Whats the recommended system spec. for the game?

Doesn't seam to have a recommended system spec, but the min is:

CPU: 2Ghz
    Memory: 512Mb
    DVD: 6 Speed
    Disk Space: 4Gb
    Video card: 128Mb

I'm playing this on a 2ghz AMD 64, 512 Ram and a ATI 9800 XT 256Mb. And on the lowest settings its pritty smooth in parts. Can be choppy at times. I plan on getting more ram to see what difference it'll make......

After a few hours play i'm really enjoying it though, despite the bugs :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Playing on a Xp2400 2gb ram and 9800Xt barely any slowdown just some minor thinking time for the pc.

Quite enjoyable to play tbh.

kdjac

With AMD64 3200+, 1Gb, 6800nu it's pretty smooth with nearly full details at 1024x768 with AA/AF, it does freeze every now and then to load but it's not for very long.

Thats pretty interesting, I've exactly the same system bar I've a 9800pro instead of the 6800 and I'm encountering regular stuttering on medium setttings.

Read on one of the forums that apparantly BP doesn't like ATI cards.

Enjoying the game mind you.

It does say on it that it's optimized for nVidia, didn't think that kind of thing usually made a huge difference but I suppose it could.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Mohanned

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I checked it - a pm soliciting a sponsor for soccer access.

Why would you post that in this thread about a computer game?

I wanted sponsirship :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Just spent the last 6 hours immersed in this. I think it's excellent. It is buggy but it hasn't stopped me from playing. Engrossing and I would still be playing if I wasn't so tired. Took up a career in bus driving for cash. Great way to see the country, the fire fights between the government and the bandits. The US folks will love the way the CIA are portrayed. Worst bug for me has to be the voices. Sometimes the person has no voice, other times a Granny speaks to you in male mexican voice (which just made me laugh).
    Once they patch this it will be one of the greats imho. The sheer scale of it is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

musician wrote:
    Just spent the last 6 hours immersed in this. I think it's excellent. It is buggy but it hasn't stopped me from playing. Engrossing and I would still be playing if I wasn't so tired. Took up a career in bus driving for cash. Great way to see the country, the fire fights between the government and the bandits. The US folks will love the way the CIA are portrayed. Worst bug for me has to be the voices. Sometimes the person has no voice, other times a Granny speaks to you in male mexican voice (which just made me laugh).
    Once they patch this it will be one of the greats imho. The sheer scale of it is amazing.

Tbh thats exactly how i felt playing it, lost 4 hours 1st time some bugs nothing to stop me playing (like in HL2 i closed a door and was meant to be on other side, couldnt go any further) its is very engrossing. I just fluting about altho i know what i have to do bus driving etc is a way to leanr the game. Only thing i really dislike is driving cant get a feel for high speed driving at all.

Also quick Q i have been made an enemy of goverment but there is offers of work in the army base but they shoot me before i get there, can i fix that or am i destined to be an enemy of the state? it was an accident had Uzi opened door seen guy shot him 17 times by accident and reloaded and fired at his mate.

kdjac

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

It looks like the only way to get back on the good side is to meet a guy on his own in a bar or somewhere like that and get a job. Also working for the CIA may get you good points with the government but I'm not sure who they support. I have the mafia guys shooting at me because I ran one of them over. It's a bit too sweeping because they shouldn't know say on the other side of the country that you killed one of their mates 100Km away.

The European patch is out now. Fixed a few problems i was having with some missions.

Its is save game compatible and will work if you install over the US patch :)

ftp://69.93.112.20/patches/boiling-point-euro_retail-update1_1.exe

• Advertisement

I downloaded it but didnt install it because the feedback seemed bad. At the moment I can play the game and no bug is intrusive enough to affect my enjoyment so I'm not going to install it. Maybe the next one which might do more.

Advertisement