Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobil 1 0W40 or similar

Options
  • 25-05-2005 11:01am
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

It has been recommended to me to use one of the following engine oils:-
    Silkolene pro S 5W40
    Motul 5W40
    Mobil 1 0W40

I can't find the first two here (even Tedcastles who import Silkolene stuff can't help me!) so I reckon I'll easily find the mobil 1.
    However, in Halfrauds it retails at just over €50 per 4L container (I'll need 6.5L) so it is looking expensive.
    To cut a long question short, does anyone know where it can be sourced cheaper?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

hallfords has own synthetic oil in 5 ltr drums at OK price.

but if you want brand you could also consider maybe duckhams

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The person who recommended the oils is an oil expert and from what they tell me I would only use Halfords to rinse the engine!

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Thought that kind of oil would only be needed in hot climates? (I'm assuming you are in Ireland)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

DukeDredd wrote:
    Thought that kind of oil would only be needed in hot climates? (I'm assuming you are in Ireland)
    Many modern engines are designed to use very thin 5W40 type oils. All current Fords, for example, including diesels. I use Duckhams in mine.

Can’t see any problem with oil that complies and displays appropriate rating e.g. API etc.
    Yes, there are differences in oil quality but rating is there for a reason . If your car burns more oil then recommended, then halfords oil is good as any. From what I seen is not burning as quick as other budget synthetics.

Anyway, Duckhams oil rulez.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

0W40 will proberly form a nice starin on many ppls drives as its leaks straight through the gasket!

On prices I bought some 10-40 semi synth from non-fancy motor factors for 25 euro for 5 litres. Its FUCHS ULTRA (TITAN) 10/40 made by a German company it meets all the current spec standards. Meanwhile in Woodies they sell 4.5 ltrs (why!?) of Castrol Magnatec for 35 euro.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

kbannon wrote:
    The person who recommended the oils is an oil expert
    But is he really an expert or is he just blowing hot air. For some reason, most red blooded males have appointed themselves as experts in the area of automotive oil technology :D 99% of the time they have no scientific or statistically valid evidence to back up their claims that "brand X is great" and "brand Y is crap". So I'm with Ratchet on this one - if the Halford's own brand oil meets the required ACEA/API standards then I don't see anything wrong with using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I got 10W40, castrol from Halfords for €25, that was for 4.5 litres.
    I am fairly sure, but will check this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

This has been posted before but it's worth another read

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html

Mike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

mike65 wrote:
    This has been posted before but it's worth another read

http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&engineoil_bible.html

Mike.
    I think I gave you that link ages ago mike! ;)

@BrianD3 - the advice being given is from someone within the trade and is as far as I am unaware unbiased and professional.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

kbannon wrote:
    It has been recommended to me to use one of the following engine oils:-
    Silkolene pro S 5W40
    Motul 5W40
    Mobil 1 0W40

I can't find the first two here (even Tedcastles who import Silkolene stuff can't help me!) so I reckon I'll easily find the mobil 1.
    However, in Halfrauds it retails at just over ?50 per 4L container (I'll need 6.5L) so it is looking expensive.
    To cut a long question short, does anyone know where it can be sourced cheaper?

You can buy mobil oils from www.oil.ie I thin it is around 120 for 12 litres.

pbergin wrote:
    You can buy mobil oils from www.oil.ie I thin it is around 120 for 12 litres.

oh man , if only George W hears that we have oil.ie

we will be next on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

I work for a ford main dealer and 10w40 is listed as ''high temp performance engines'' i.e. anything cosworth. The main engine oil used by all modern fords includind diesels is 5w30 semi synthetic,

Funnily enough 5w30 is listed as a more powerful oil than 10w40, for higher temp, fuel economy, cold starting, sporty performance 5w30 is listed a better grade oil.

BTW 5w30 is €29 with us and 10w40 €20.

Hope this helps.

Yeah, you're right about Ford specifying 5W30, and not 5W40 as I wrote earlier on, my bad! I have a 1.6TDCi C-MAX and use Duckhams 5W30 in it which has all the right Ford codes on it as specified in the car's handbook. € 26 for 4.5ltr (approx. 1 gallon?) from a Motor Factors in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭a_ominous

mike65 wrote:
    Meanwhile in Woodies they sell 4.5 ltrs (why!?) of Castrol Magnatec for 35 euro.

Mike.

Why 4.5L? For the young people, 4.5L approx equals one imperial gallon. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Alun wrote:
    Yeah, you're right about Ford specifying 5W30, and not 5W40 as I wrote earlier on, my bad! I have a 1.6TDCi C-MAX and use Duckhams 5W30 in it which has all the right Ford codes on it as specified in the car's handbook. € 26 for 4.5ltr (approx. 1 gallon?) from a Motor Factors in Bray.

can i ask the name of that motor factors, need to stock up on oil........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Fitzpatrick motors in Bray(main Ford Dealer)sell 5lts of 5w30 for €20(that includes vat),ive been buying it there for years & its been that price for about a year now. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

rediculously cheap... can i ask if it says fully synthetic on the bottle?

lomb wrote:
    can i ask the name of that motor factors, need to stock up on oil........
    Don't know the name ... it's on Quinsborough Road, on the right as you head towards the Dart station in that little group of shops where Dunne's Stores is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 791 ✭✭✭fightin irish

mondeoman wrote:
    Fitzpatrick motors in Bray(main Ford Dealer)sell 5lts of 5w30 for €20(that includes vat),ive been buying it there for years & its been that price for about a year now. ;)

Thats a v.good price. It retails at €23 + VAT. You must be gettin 30% discount?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

Thats a v.good price. It retails at €23 + VAT. You must be gettin 30% discount?

they do normally give me a good discount as im always buying stuff of them,but the oil has been on special for ages now. ;)

lomb- no it does'nt say anything about been semi/syntetic it just says High Performance Fuel Economy Motor Oil 5w30. :)

Advertisement