Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying SINGLE gear levers

Options
  • 25-05-2005 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

Hi there. Does anyone know where it's possible to buy gear levers individually?

Thanks to a fall I had some months ago, my 7-speed, right-hand Shimano gear lever got a knock and eventually fell to bits the other day. The dealers I have spoken to so far will only sell the levers in pairs but I don't need the left-side (front gear) one and I can't afford to buy it.

The lever in question was a Shimano "clicker" type. I'm not sure what the exact model was - the Shimano site seems to be down at the moment so I can't say. Anyway, it's a 7-speed gear-only model (i.e. not combined with the brake lever). It looked a lot like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42329&item=7158970810&rd=1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Take a look here:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Categories.aspx?CategoryID=155&CurrentPageIndex=0&SortExpression=PRICE_ASC

There are several options on Chain Reaction. You can use a either 7 or 8 speed shifter, but not a 9 speed one. SRAM ones will work but only the ones without numbers in the title.

How about just buying that one off eBay - you won't do better than a fiver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

Actually I was hoping to find a dealer in Dublin as I'm off on a cycling trip in a week's time and it's very unlikely anything will make it here from the UK (or anywhere else) before then.

Thanks for the link anyway. I'll keep it for future reference.

(Oh and by the way, £5 was only the starting bid for the gear lever on E-Bay, not the final price!)

If you order from Chain Reaction you should have it in a couple of days.

Yep - just realised they're based in Antrim. Nice one - cheers.

Morgan, I got my hands on a nice new Shimano shifter for an 8-speed bike. Are you sure it'll work (mine's a 7-speed)?

Somebody suggested to me that the indexing might be out. I don't really want to try it and find it doesn't work 'cos I won't be able to return it afterwards.

Any help, muchos appreciados.

• Advertisement

It will work - the spacing on 7 and 8 speed systems is the same - you'll just have an extra unused click.

Advertisement