Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Name Changes

Options
  • 25-05-2005 1:29pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

We'll no longer be doing name changes for non subscribers. We werent supposed to be doing them before and stupidly I did a few and word got out that "if you bug DeV or the admins enough they will change name for you". So this isnt really a change but a formalisation of the situation.
    We're all mad busy and even with the addition of the "mini mins" (who came up with that! lol) who are really helping us out enormously we're in danger of getting flooded with support requests. So there you go now, just clearing things up.

DeV.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

DeVore wrote:
    We're all mad busy and even with the addition of the "mini mins" (who came up with that! lol).

ahem

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

Another good reason to subscribe. Perhaps it should be "announced" or stickied somewhere....

Just thinking about it tho, people might just re regester with the nick they prefer, rather than stick with it. Is that more desirable than changing the names...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quite frankly, doing them wouldn't bother me, except that we don't have the access we need to do them yet. I'm not sure how many name change requests the Admins get, but perhaps when the full Helpdesk functionality is set up for us, it could be changed so that only the Smods can escalate support issues to the admins? Might be better discussed elsewhere though.

Ruggie does make a good point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

RuggieBear wrote:
    Just thinking about it tho, people might just re regester with the nick they prefer
    Yeah this really is the only way to go.
    But oh noes! my post count!! lol :rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yeah, I havent thought this entirely through yet, I like the basic idea of " Boards is free but if you want to bug us to do something then have the courtesy to suport us" and I dont just mean for name changes, but then again I dont want reregistrations just to change name particularly. hmmmm...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

*cough*entrance fee to boards beers*cough*

These are not the droids you're looking for etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

How about only one name change allowed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I would have thought the bigger problem was a high number of users with once-off changes, wanting to remove things like a trailing _99 from their name... as opposed to people who want a new name every month.
    Is it really that bad? :confused:

Well the help desk gets a few name changes every once in a while. There's about 3 or 4 there since a week or two ago I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

I asked for a name change and then subscribed to get it.. (btw still in the works)

Really I think it is a good idea to get people to subscribe. I was thinking of doing it and this made up my mind for me...

Really people should be urged to hep out far more often then they are..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Can ppl get dead usernames with a subbie?

kdjac

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

As in, yoink a username from a person who never posted?

If they failed to register correctly and more than a month had passed I'd be inclined to say yes. Otherwise I don't know if I'd be keen ...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

In that case I bagsie "John" for when I renew my subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

But, but Syxpak is a great nick... :(

I could live with John SyxPak though, if the money was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

SantaHoe wrote:
    as opposed to people who want a new name every month.
    Does bi-monthly get excluded from that class ? ;)

Speaking of non-used nicks what about ones that haven't been used in 3+years or something? any kind of a cutoff.... i want ian tbh

Is there any kind of scrubbing of old unused usernames? might be handy with the rapid growth of boards of late, i'm guessing the new nicks get more random by the day....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Lol would it be cruel to get a subbie and pick the usernam john :D

Altho there are 2 i would like that have never posted both over 3 years old.

kdjac

Darth Bobo wrote:
    Is there any kind of scrubbing of old unused usernames? might be handy with the rapid growth of boards of late, i'm guessing the new nicks get more random by the day....
    It enduces creativity and stops people registering boring names like... erm.. Gordon.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Gordon wrote:
    It enduces creativity and stops people registering boring names like... erm.. Gordon.
    and seamus

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

and oscarBravo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Has rumpelstiltskin been taken yet?
    /me calls it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Cerque

Please change my name to MerrMyyn please.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Cerque wrote: »
    Please change my name to MerrMyyn please.

Someone didn't read the rest of the thread! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

For a moment I thought amp walked amongst man once more.

:(

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

/puts zombie thread out of its misery

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Flashbacks to the past scare me!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement