Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Series Top Gear - Favourite Presenter

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

From what I've read the old format TG was very successful in the mid nineties. But when Clarkson left in 1999 viewing figures dropped dramatically and the show was dropped by the BBC in 2001.

This would seem to suggest that it is possible to have a fairly serious but successful car programme with Clarkson on board.

There are some aspects of new Top Gear that i like. I like that it's an hour long and the way the presenter and audience are together in the studio. They could still retain this format but have a better mix of serious stuff and silly stuff IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Rewiewing "ordinary" cars on their own will get pretty boring pretty quickly anyway.

What I WOULD like to see is some more comparisons, though. Remember the programme where they had their mothers comparing cars? That was pretty good.

Every second or third show they could get some section of the "target audience" pit three or four typical cars from one sector against each other. Could be entertaining as well as informative.

Throw a few families at a few MPV's, a handful of "boyracers" at a few hatchbacks, a few "chestwig" fellows at some large coupes ...and so on.

I'd volunteer for the dog owner - estate car test :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I'm going to e-mail the show with a few suggestions.

Mike.

Advertisement