Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ping G2 Driver

• 25-05-2005 2:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Anyone using one of these or know what its like?? Thinkin bout gettin one

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

tried it before i got my 454, they are very nice, long, forgiving and good value.
    played about same as 454 for me and was 90 dearer so went with 454..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 cddc3

Callaway 454 is it??? What hadicap are u??? high or low?? what u have before 454??

sorry, yeah the callway 454 have always had taylormade drivers before this
    one, i'm off 13, had the xr-03, 580XD, R540, R360 and the 320...

by the way, head to golfworks at the spawell and they will let you hit all the drivers in all the setups before you buy...

• Registered Users Posts: 46 dave107

has to be a good club was at the Irish seniors open on saturday and a good 90% of them were using the ping G2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Dman_15

I hit one at the weekend for the first time.

Although it was nice, the launch angle was way too high for my liking, and that was with an 8* with the Aldila NV 65 stiff shaft.
    I'll be sticking with my R540 TP for the time being anyway.

Dman, is there any such thing as a R540 TP??

there sure is.
    It's a tour only prototype, never made it to production because the R7's came out. Its based on the 540xd with a few changes. I got it from a pro i caddied for last summer. It has a much more penetrating filght that the new ones.
    I'll post pics some time to let you see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

The Ping G2 is the mother of drivers. I can hit an average distance of 270 yards. It is more forgiveing then any other driver on the market (maybe not the r7)

The important thing to remember is that you choose a correct shaft and loft combo (depending on your swing speed)

Make sure that you give it a demo.

nice one dman, I love getting stuff like that, had a tour only wedge for a while but got rid
    of it in the end as I couldn't afford to be playing pro-v1s all the time and it tore any of the cheaper balls to shreads...

• Advertisement

yeah, tour gear is unreal.

Picture the difference between say Donnay and Titleist. The difference betweed ordinary Taylormade's, Titleist's, Ping's etc mass produced stuff and their tour only stuff is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭stringy

I bought the SMT Deep Bore 455 from the states, what a club! check all the reviews on www.golfreview.com. Worked out with shipping €125.

Mike at 2puttgolf.com, nice guy. Forget TM, Ping, Callaway, SMT Golf make superb clubs, even in that magazine Golf Punk (thats where I heard about it), it got best driver over all the rest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭Ernesto

Ive tried them all but the best weapon ive hit lately is the taylor made R5 N type. get standard shaft and loads of loft, i play off 5 and know there aint no gain in making this gamer any harder than it needs to be

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 jorayme

yeah, but a 15 handicapper is not goin to hit the ball the same as a 5 h/capper - so everyone to their own i say - try it before you buy it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Well I finally tookthe G2 for a porper 18 hole spin. It was a 10* prolaunch blue one.

Overall...........not impressed. I used it the day of my +3 round, but it was not an amazing club as I heard. much heavier then my own TaylorMade 540. The shaft is supposidly the stiffest you can buy from ping, but i found it to be terribly whippey, proven by the high fade i was hitting with it. Wont be investing anytime soon, definatly going to check out the r7 though.

Overall. dissapointment for me persoannly. Stiff shaft not so stiff, caused a high fade and the few i caught perfect didnt go too long.

Fade or block = too stiff a shaft
    Hook or pull = too whippy

If you were blocking everything high and right it means the shaft isn't working for you. You can't swing it quickly enough to get it to 'kick'.
    I've been through many shafts and these are always the symptoms of too stiff a shaft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I recently changed my R540 driver shaft. I as using a regular shaft and changed it to the stiff. I found that at the speed i was swinging at the club head was trailing behind and casuing an open club face. The new stiff shaft has eliminated this. I'm still fading but its merely my swing which im in the process of having checked.

Advertisement