Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Jeep Tax

Options
  • 25-05-2005 2:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭

Does anyone know how much it would be to tax a 2.8l pajero. Now its a commercial but its privately owned. Roughly does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

€1033 for a 2.8L private vehicle (assuming the cc is just below 2800)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭Baffled

Holy S**t. Is the price based on engine size or vehicle weight?

For private, its based on cc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

engine capacity

Do I have to own a business to tax it commercially?

• Advertisement

If it was last taxed commercially, then i think you can just renew it as commercial.
    I am not 100% certain on this, so maybe some others can confirm or correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

Is there any way I can tax it as a Goods Vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Baffled wrote:
    Is there any way I can tax it as a Goods Vehicle?

If there are no back seats, and panels where the windows should be it is a commercial vehicle regardless of whether you are using it for private or commercial use. I have had numerous over the last few years.

It is also possible to tax it as commercial even if it has seats in the back but i think it must be used for business.

the joys of commercial vehicles include parking in loading bays dont forget!! :)

Awe Brilliant. Thanx for all the info. Its a difference of a couple of hundred euros.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

The jeep will have to be taxed as its insured.
    IE: if its taxed commercially it has to have commercial insurance.
    if its taxed priveately it has to be insured privately.

The insurance company wont give you commercial insurance if your using it for private rerasons, and not a business, farmer, ect...

I know this cause i had to tax and insure my 306van privately cause the insurance company wouldnt give me commercial insurance as i wasnt using it for commercial reasons and they started asking awkward questions. I ended up paying E511 for private tax, as opposed to E270 or something for commercial.

You cant tax it commercial and then insure it privately. I know that to be 100% correct. I tried all that stuff,,, when i was sorting my van. If you tax it commercial,,, which you can handy enough, its easy to lie to the tax office,,, but if you lie to the insurance and take private/commercial insurance instead of taking whatever way its taxed, it will invalidate the insurance and you`ll be fooked.

How did you do it then Gibo ie? Did you insure it commercially?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

gibo_ie wrote:
    the joys of commercial vehicles include parking in loading bays dont forget!! :)
    Don't you need a special permit for this too? Can anyone with a van just park there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

so long as its taxed as goods. The round disc is your permit :D

when you say goods you mean a commercial tax disk?

yes

Wow, I must inform my mate who wants to be able to park in them and has commercial tax. Cheers

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,946 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Bond-007 wrote:
    so long as its taxed as goods. The round disc is your permit :D

Hey bond,

are ya sure of this?
    cause i drive a trooper 3.1 TD taxed and insured as commercial and this would be quite handy!! :D

Cheers

Mik

I used to be a traffic warden:D

Yes I am 100% sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Surely loading bays are for just that ... i.e. loading, and not parking and buggering off for a few hours blocking the loading bay for those wanting to use it for its intended purpose?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Terrier

I drive a Landcrusier and it only costs €250 or €280 can't remember, and it's insured commerically

So how can i tax it commercially then? Or can I? My dad owns his own business. Can I do it that way somehow? It will be used for commercial purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Do you not have to be actively loading or unloading the vehicle to use a loading bay? In which case, it is just as legal to pull up on double yellow lines since this is also legal when loading and unloading a vehicle and it doesn't even need to be taxed as a commercial.

Actually you do, or you will get nicked. I used to give goods vehicles a little leeway for 5 mins only, or else off to the loading bay with ya.

I was told today that there is just a limit to the time you're alowed. There was an electrician a couple of years ago that was clamped in one while he was on a job. He won in court and the clampers got a slap on the wrist

• Registered Users Posts: 78,402 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You are generally allowed unload **actively** for up to 30 minutes if you are a commerical vehicle. After that - clamp.

A car will get very little leeway (you will if you are, say, **actively** loading luggage).

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

It's possible to phone your insurance company and tell them that you intend using the jeep for business/work purposes also. You will have to pay extra but not much. Would this then allow you to tax the jeep commercially?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Baffled wrote:
    How did you do it then Gibo ie? Did you insure it commercially?

Taxed commercially and insured as a private. Quinn Direct did this and said it was fine even if using it private. Tax office insisted it was taxed commercial even though it was used private!!

Im already with QD and I rang them for a private quote on a commercial pajero. The first person I got through to gave me a quote. The second time I rang on another pajero, the person told me that I wouldnt be able to insure it privately. It seems that I get a different answer every time i ring them.

If you insure it commercially, do you need to send them proof of your employment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Yeah, if you want commercial insurance, i think they usually ask for proof of employment sometimes. Say your using it to carry goods or something. I have a private policy from QD on my commercial vehicle, so there talking ****e bout not being able to cover that. Btw, to get commercial insurance i think you have to be using it as a fulltime basis.

I`d say your best bet is to insure it privately, and then go into the tax office, and tell them you want to tax your "commercial" jeep. You`ll have to fill in your insurance policy no, and insurance company name, but they dont ask to see the policy and wont know if its private or commercial policy.

Also if the old out of date tax disk is a commercial disk, bring it with you and say you want to tax the jeep, the commercial disk will help it look like you need commercial.

I was wrong in my earlier post it seems, as quite a few ppl i know have private insurance but have their yokes taxed as commercial i have since found out.

Advertisement