Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have Moved from O2 to Meteor

Options
  • 25-05-2005 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I have just made the move from O2 to Meteor and glad to be rid of O2. Just hope it lives up to my expectations. It should be cheaper - I hope.

Anyway, my question is - I want to continue using my Nokia 6310 phone. But the phone is locked to prevent me using other SIMS such as a Meteor. How do I get this phone unlocked?

Also, I have a car kit for the 6310 but is it easy to switch the car kit over for the Nomia 6230 phone when I switch over in the future?

Thank You.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 34 clemyeats

Well, the new Flexible Number Portability feature is present in Meteor and O2 networks so this means that you could change operator without changing your SIM and keep your O2 number even though you become a meteor customer...

Otherwise, you can change number, get a new SIM and unlock the phone. I don't know how to do that in detail though, or who could do it for you.

Clem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 sky_2005

ya meteor are good ive been wit them for nearly 3yrs now. I think if u spend so much credit wit 02 bout over a hundred u should be able they should unblock ur fone for u but u could change to meteor wit out having to change ur number

• Registered Users Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭RoadSweeper

clemyeats wrote:
    Well, the new Flexible Number Portability feature is present in Meteor and O2 networks so this means that you could change operator without changing your SIM and keep your O2 number even though you become a meteor customer...

Clem

The flexible number portability requires you to get a new sim. You buy a sim, and transfer your old number to that new sim. The old sim is useless.
    To change operator you must change sim.

You will need the phone to be unlocked either way. o2 are obliged to give you the code if you spent a certain amount of credit with them. otherwise someone here will help you with a code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Good luck with Meteor, hope they work out ok for you.

As for unlocking the nokia, give O2 a call and advise you've ported and need your NAC (Network unlocking code) If you were a bill paying customer they're obliged to give it to you

Alternitively you don't even want to talk to O2, this thread is all about unlocking and there's boards users & codes who'll help you unlock it easily

As for the car-kit, the 6310i car kit is not compatible with any other Nokia's at all, if you get a 6230 or any new Nokia you're going to have to get your old car-kit ripped out and a brand new one installed!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A-Trak wrote:
    As for the car-kit, the 6310i car kit is not compatible with any other Nokia's at all, if you get a 6230 or any new Nokia you're going to have to get your old car-kit ripped out and a brand new one installed!

You can also get these car kit converters. They plug into the 6310i carkit and are pop-port compatible, you just stick your phone on top of the converter. That might do you til you get a new car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

RachG - Spoke to my my wife a few moments ago and told her I need a new car to fit my new mobile phone.

Let's put it this way - my dinner is in the dog !

Don't think I'm going to get away with this one but worth trying.

Someone else mentioned those kits to me and gave me a company name. Will check it out.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

Let me know how you get on with meteor pls - I'm thinking of making the move too.

Anyone else use meteor and if so do you like it? Good coverage etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I changed about a month ago and Meteor are much better. Coverage is better and they are alot cheaper, even without taking the 5c Meteor to Meteor calls into the equation.

You also get 50 more webtexts, free voicemail and their customer care line is free to ring.

After changing, I feel like 02 were robbing me for the past three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

See this topic for some info on Meteor coverage

http://c.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260488

(some nasty mod binned it!!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭crang

I am on meteore and find them brilliant. They are always topping up my credit just because i am loyal. Go with meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Lemlin wrote:
    I changed about a month ago and Meteor are much better. Coverage is better and they are alot cheaper, even without taking the 5c Meteor to Meteor calls into the equation.

You also get 50 more webtexts, free voicemail and their customer care line is free to ring.

After changing, I feel like 02 were robbing me for the past three years.

Yeah O2 are a bunch of thieves, and their customer care are so condesending when you call with a problem. Good riddance I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

I have recently moved from 02 to meteor and Im not all that happy with it. I havent seen the savings I hoped for, I have to wait 3 months for roming, mms and email and customer service is now where near as good as o2 - I need to give them more time and make sure i get my price plan right but for now im not impressed.

Alan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Pinkchick03

See this topic for some info on Meteor coverage

http://c.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=260488

(some nasty mod binned it!!)
    That was MY post they binned :( I didn't realise there was this forum :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

Last weekend I ported to Meteor from O2 Speakeasy and I have to say it was one of my best mobile moves to date.I ported on Saturday afternoon and by Saturday night I was fully setup for all available services on my Nokia 6600 without any problems at all.Its much cheaper than O2 and I see very little difference in the coverage around Co.Louth, Infact in some parts it is even better than the O2 coverage.
    If you are porting they are excellent they give you a FREE sim card and 100euro call credit when you top up by 20euro a month.The porting experience was also pain free,I had been moved to the Meteor network within an hour.
    Excellent all round.
    Conor

Conor - That is interesting and encouraging. I ported over yesterday and so far so good. OK I'm based in Dublin where the signal is supposed to be good anyway but i noticed on the way home yesterday that areas that O2 did not work worked OK with my meteor phone (Belgard Road).

Will be interesting how the country drives do over the weekend. Glad to hear that coverage in Louth is good - I spend a lot of time up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

This is what is says on the Meteor website about their coverage:
    " In parts of Counties Kerry, Donegal, Mayo, Cavan, Sligo, Leitrim, Limerick, Galway, Cork, Roscommon, Longford & Clare we have signed a coverage agreement with O2 to enable us to offer our customers national coverage today while we are still building out our own network, which of course we will continue to do.

What does this mean?
    This agreement means that from today you will have national coverage when using your Meteor mobile allowing you to make & receive calls whenever & wherever you like in the Republic of Ireland. You may see O2 on the screen of your phone if you are in some parts of the areas listed above but you will still actually be with Meteor and will be still paying Meteor's great call rates. There are no extra charges. "

I've had no problems with Meteor anyway, I've to wait for my first "proper" bill to come in before I totally make my mind up though...

I signed up for their 400 minute deal for 60 euro which will be a saving for me provided I stick to the 400 minutes. My average spend with O2 was 150 euro per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭marshmallow

this thread has been a help. been thinking 'bout moving from o2 to meteor. i text a lot more than i make phone calls. texts from meteor to meteor are free, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

marshmallow - I think the free texts offer is over, you had to have joined by September 2004 to avail of that :(

Free line rental - pay only for calls
    You receive a set number of minutes per month for one fixed monthly payment
    Your monthly minutes include calls to UK networks*
    Free Meteor to Meteor texts*
    Plans start from €20 per month (€16.53 ex VAT)
    No peak or off peak - same great rates all day, every day
    If you use more than your set number of minutes in any month, calls to any Irish or UK landline or mobile, any time of day are charged at a flat rate of just 20c
    Free voicemail
    The option to keep your full 086 or 087 number

The text above is from the Meteor Pay Later pages from the meteor website. The free texting is still available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

hmmm. i've got myself and my g/f on o2's small business/sole trader account at the moment but have been thinking of moving to meteor, but am unsure if they offer anything comparable.

off to the meteor website with me...........

Advertisement