Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Relaying a broadband connection?

• 25-05-2005 3:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭

Ok so complete wireless n00b here!

What im basically trying to look into is relaying my dads business broadband connection to our home. The business bb is located in greystones co.wicklow and my home is in kilcoole, co.wicklow.

I have seen posts around boards of people relaying connectinos over distancees of 1 km and so on, is it possible to relay it over 6km (just a ballpark figure there)?

If so what sort of equipment would i need ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭I am MAN

Sounds too far but then again i'm not as educated in the wireless the side of things as other people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

Actually if you have a line of site between the two without obstruction it is possible with some equipment i have used. May not be worth the expense though..,,.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

You can do it with regualr WiFi gear and some antenns. What you need is line of sight between the 2 or a 3rd site that has line of sight to the first 2.

If you have that you can budget a minimum of €250 per site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

problem is that theres no los at all between where the business is and the home, is Non line of site products dear?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Blitz wrote:
    problem is that theres no los at all between where the business is and the home, is Non line of site products dear?
    There are no such products.

You said 6km. What's the geographical configuration of the zone? When you say there's no LoS, have you considered using a 3-4 meter pole on top of the house? i.e. are there tall buildings in between? a 2000ft mountain?

The only solution would be relaying through a third point (intermediate), as Rew suggested. But, again, the intermediate point must have LoS with both points 1 and 2. It's messy, but doable. Usually, people won't let you put equipment on their buildings, unless you offer them something (like free internet access :) ).

Good luck,
    JP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

ill check up with heights and distances a 3rd intermediate site would be possible but i would like to extinguish options above before i go down that route!

Thanks so far lads!

JoyPad wrote:
    There are no such products

Thats not compleatly true, actually there is a system called Redline that will do non-LOS but its about 16k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭JoyPad

Rew wrote:
    Thats not compleatly true, actually there is a system called Redline that will do non-LOS but its about 16k :)

Hehe... next thing you can say is that he can do the relaying via satellite, which could also work, but I thought we should limit the discussion to 802.11 communications, which is in the price range of regular people.
    I heard about redline on tomsnetworking.com, it uses the new WiMAX technology (proposed as 802.16 or so). Or am I dead wrong?

EDIT: yeah, now I remember (after google), Redline and Cisco were sued by some Canadian company over 802.16 patents. Redline settled.

Cheers,
    JP

We bought it pre-802.16, but at the time they were hopeing to be the first 802.16 certified device. I don't see any problem giving people all the options ya never know what their budgets will stretch to. :)

Advertisement