Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

NCT - number plates

Options
  • 25-05-2005 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Hi guys,

NCT tomorrow and have had the car checked over by a mechanic and put new tyres on and everything seems to be in place. However, mechanic noted that the number plate at the front has a long crack running through the middle and reckoned the NCT might pick up on it but I haven't time now to change the plate. Most people I spoke to say it should be fine - its the proper county number plate - and should chance it anyway. What do you think? Has anyone had this problem before?

Citizen.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Any motor factors or shop thats prints plates will do so while you wait. Usually <€10 each.
    I'd get a new one, better safe than sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

Yea your better off getting a new one.. i had a crack in mine but replaced it just in case... NCT was up last week but they didnt send me a letter yet....

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kermit_ie

Halfords in Blanch is open until 9, if you're around the area...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

if you did fail on the plate, you would only have to return for a 'visual' test, i.e. no fee involved. ........though I suppose you would have the hassle of a return visit :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Is it a crack or is it broken in half or what? If it is broken then just use a bit of sellotape. As you can pass with plates taped to the car surely they can't fail because a crack is sellotaped!
    Personally I wouldn't bother changing it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

NCT was up last week but they didnt send me a letter yet....

They don't send letters if it's due it's second NCT or later. They send letters out confirming your booking date which are booked on NCT's number : 1890 412413

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Do they do anything about plates that aren't cracked or anything but have stuff like zeros and nines and the like where the white bits from the centre of the character are gone and you're just left with a big black oval in the case of a zero?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Even if it fails it's just a visual inspection so it won't need a lane or appointment or booking fee when you go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,400 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Stephen wrote:
    Do they do anything about plates that aren't cracked or anything but have stuff like zeros and nines and the like where the white bits from the centre of the character are gone and you're just left with a big black oval in the case of a zero?
    Non complaint -> fail.

Advertisement