Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Opinions on tyres needed !!

Options
  • 25-05-2005 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭

I need to get new tyres for my car and was wondering what ye would recommend, its a golf gti so sometimes moves at speed but nothing too mental. the tyres are the standard 205/55/16, at the moment i have pirelli p6000's and they dont appear to last too long, i've heard that the BF Goodrich tyres are long lasting but how are they for grip, any helpful input will be appreciated

thanx in advance

TL

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

I need to get new tyres for my car and was wondering what ye would recommend, its a golf gti so sometimes moves at speed but nothing too mental. the tyres are the standard 205/55/16, at the moment i have pirelli p6000's and they dont appear to last too long, i've heard that the BF Goodrich tyres are long lasting but how are they for grip, any helpful input will be appreciated

thanx in advance

TL

You'll not thank me for saying this, but it can depend on the car. My MX5 hates Pirelli P6000s (just finished a set), loves Yokohama A539s, loves Bridgestone Potenza RE-720s, hates Dunlops of any type, absolutely loves Toyo Proxes.

For example, the P6000s are great in the dry and in soaking wet but are awful anywhere in between (drizzle, fresh rain, dust from builders etc).

We have a '95 Opel Omega with Dunlop 2000s, and they're great for this big car in any conditions. Very fidgety on the MX5 though, and dangerous in the wet in the '5.

Ask other people with the same car as yourself if possible. Otherwise, try the Toyo Proxes, they get great reviews from everyone I have heard (mainly small/medium sized cars though)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

michelin make the hardest wearing tyres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭MoeHawk

Do michelin make the hardest wearing tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭mondeoman

I changed my last set of tyres after 30'000 miles & there was still nearly 3mm of thread left,not bad for a 2.0lt,they were goodyear ncts by the way.
    excellient grip in wet or dry & not to bad for road noise either :)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

You are balancing grip against longevity - which do you want? Your Pirellis ofer great grip which I don't think will be beaten by the BFGs but you will get more life from them.
    Personally I love my Goodyear Eagle F1s. My fronts have lasted a year so far (including track use and some hard road driving) and are still looking great. Far too much grip on them - hard to slide the rear out even with TC off!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

BFG are Michelins low end range, saying that I have found BFG's to be excellent but thats on a jeep not a GTi.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭JB123

Iv used BF Goodrich for the last few years on my Integra's they do seem to last well iv put 20000 kms on mine and they are like new.They are good in the wet too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

kbannon wrote:
    You are balancing grip against longevity
    You're balancing a lot more than that. There are so many characteristics about tyres, it's crazy.

I don't know how different the products are between the north american and european markets. But have a look at tirerack.com, it's a pretty in-depth resource.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Furp

As mentioned on boards before GT Champiro Radial Tires are a great combination of cost quality and longevity they are available for advance pitstop. I have them on my 1.8 Primera which i do over 20000 miles a year in and i find them really good.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Balfa wrote:
    You're balancing a lot more than that. There are so many characteristics about tyres, it's crazy.
    True but by and large a tyres life span is proportional to the grip on offer because grippier tyres tend to be softer and although grip more, they wear down faster.
    An excellent tutorial on tyres (and more!) can be found @ http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbibles/index.html?menu.html&tyre_bible.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement