Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airflow and dust

Options
  • 25-05-2005 8:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭

As some of you might know im planning to build a htpc units/tv stand and this question is related to it.

Main objective is to keep it all nice and quiet but at the same time nice and cool.

What kind of fans would you recomend for this? I was thinking something allong the lines of 4 92mm or 120mm fans (2 in 2 out). Is this over kill? Will 2 92mm or 120mm fans be enough?
    The reason i was thinking 2 was to have a fan directed to blow at the gfx card and another for the cpu.
    I will have a fan controler to keep all fans spinning as slow as possible.

As this will be a unit with a tv on it and acces might be come a problem how is the best way of keeping dust out. I know i can get filters but i assume dust will still get in? I there's good airflow will it all pass trough?

Jozi

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Dust always manages to get in somehow

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

cool 'n quiet don't really go together.

Get 120mm fans, volt them down, use proper cable management to secure the cables away into corners and stuff.
    Mount the fans a little bit away from the case, using spacers or something like rubber grommets. This should cut down on any turbulence etc.
    Also, cut out (with a dremel or similar) any machined-in fan-grilles in the case.
    Filters can be used, but there aint really any point. They just restrict airflow more than anything else.
    Give your box a check over every 3-6 months, clean out any dirt lodged around the fans or heatsinks on components, make sure the case is earthed (and wall-socket-switch is turned off) and use compressed air cans to clean dust out of the case.

This is really PC Maintenance 101.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

AFAIK, the more air running through your system, the more dust your going to get. I've been running my machine with the side off for a while, and im just after taking it out to clean up. It wasn't that bad. Only took a few minutes to sort. No side=Best airflow!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I actually building the case myself see here so im hopingto go about it in the best possible way.
    What this with positive and negative pressure?
    Would just having echaust fans and some slots to let air in work be a good option.
    I i manage to get it near silent with temps for the cpu under 50C under load ill be happy.

jozi

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Are you building an intel or AMD ?
    My pc is a 3000+, 6800gt and a silent single fan power supply.
    I have an NV silencer on the graphics card to directly exhaust hot air and a single 120mm case fan running at 7volts (~half speed). Temperatures top out at 42' on the processor which is overclocked from 1.8ghz to 2.4ghz. I don't think you'll be needing more than 2 case fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭carbsy

TimAy wrote:
    . No side=Best airflow!

Er, surely you mean no side=no airflow! ;)

Am 2500+ mobile barton and a nvidia 660gt (agp).
    I plan on getting a arctic cooler for the gfx card but they dont do a agp one :( i have one for my x800xl on a fan controler and its quiet enough.

I previously had it all running in a antec sonata case with 2 120mm fans was quiet enough but with room for improvement all stayed perfectlly cool to even at a oc to 2.4hgz

So why are you considering 4x120mm fans then ? The sonata effectively only has one fan, since the front one is positioned in a really stupid place. I have the sonata too.

I dont know really?
    Was thinking more along the lines of 92mm fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

CM Stacker.

Yer Only Man.

• Advertisement

Anything with one 120mm intake and 120mm exhaust will give plenty of airflow, even with the fans at half speed. 120mm is the only way to go for quiet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,301 ✭✭✭airetam_storm

carbsy wrote:
    Er, surely you mean no side=no airflow! ;)

Still very effective but it leaves the components open to damage if your not careful

Advertisement