Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RARE/must have games list.

Options
  • 25-05-2005 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭

Ok basically im lookin to expand my collection to be full of some classics so im lookin for rare games that are good for ps1/2, n64, cube , xbox. i know they are fairly new consoles but im just lost tbh. ill say what i can think of atm:

PS1:
    Vagrant story
    FF IX
    parappa the rapper
    FF Chronicles

PS2:
    ico(have it already but ill put it here)
    rez

Gamecube:
    Ikaruga

mainly ps1 games this list will be but tell me what you think!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

i have been looking for twisted metal world tour for months now i found it on ebay but lack of credit card meant i could not get it so if anyone has it please sell it to me
    thats the only ps1 classic i can remember

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

A superb game for the PSone that was underadvertised and got no attention was Panzer Front.

Fantastic WWII tank simulation game, with loads of senarios with the chance to play as American, Russian, British and German in missions ranging from Normandy and Kursk to Berlin.

Nice graphics for a PSone at the time as well.

Another great but totally under advertised game that came out way too late and flopped was Delta Force Urban Warrior for the PSone.

They got out of it the max the PSone could give, shame it didn't come out earlier. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

You could get FFIX of ebay.co.uk but its pretty expensive. I paid 30 pound sterling for my copy about 4 months ago. Mint condition though. Like it was never played. Also got FFVII in mint condition of there.

Wanna get FFVIII aswell but i'll wait to i find a new job when i come before bidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

final fantasy is utterly ****. so is chrono trigger and radiant silvergun before any elitist bitch says them

multiplayer versions of these games are good: age of empires 2 the conquerors, counter strike 1.6 or source, unreal tournament 2004, mario kart and goldeneye

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

bounty wrote:
    final fantasy is utterly ****. so is chrono trigger and radiant silvergun before any elitist bitch says them

multiplayer versions of these games are good: age of empires 2 the conquerors, counter strike 1.6 or source, unreal tournament 2004, mario kart and goldeneye

You have to be taking the piss. I also seriously doubt you have played the sinfully brilliant radiant silvergun. I have. In fact since i got my saturn last September I haven't stopped playing it.

Also the games you mentioned aren't exactly rare.

I hope everyone is prepared:

PS1
    Suikoden 1 and 2 (will set you back a fortune but worth it just remember to get the two games from the same region)
    Einhander
    R-type delta
    Soukyugurentai
    Lunar silver story
    Lunar 2 eternal blue
    Front mission 3
    Gradius Gaiden
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Grandia
    Vandal Hearts 1+2
    Valkyrie Profile
    Silhouette Mirage

PS2
    Katamari Damacry
    Gradius V

Gamecube
    Ikaruga
    Skies of Arcadia Legends

N64
    Paper Mario
    sin and Punishment
    Space station silicon valley

They are just my rare but excellent games for Cube, PS1 and PS2. I don't own any of the rare games i mentioned for N64 :(

If I think of anymore i'll post them. If you want a Sega Saturn list i'll do my best as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

I was waiting for Retr0 to get in there...

What happened to the release of Chrono Trigger and the remaining old FF games on one disc?... was waiting for that.

Some people may disagree, but the old Resident Evil games and Dino Crisis would feel at home in any collection... good scares.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Have:

Rez
    Ico
    FFVII
    Jet Set Radio
    Burning Rangers
    Fighters Megamix
    Christmas Nights + analogue controller
    Super Metroid

Want:
    Vagrant Story
    Space Station Silicone Valley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

I used to have Vagrant Story. I was happy. But then I sold it. Now I'm sad :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

lol. I'm getting Skies of Arcadia Legends real cheap tomorrow when I get paid. :)

And I sold my copies of Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy IX a couple of months ago.. For double what I paid for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Rhyme wrote:
    What happened to the release of Chrono Trigger and the remaining old FF games on one disc?... was waiting for that.

The yanks got Chrono Trigger with Final Fantsy VI as a compilation. Being the europe hating bastardos that they are, Square only released FFVI on its lonesome over here. I got an e-mail printed in digitiser having a moan about this :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

I Might have a copy of ff9 at home somewhere if ya are interested, i didn't like it as much as the other ff's.

R-type delta is a good(but fustrating) game.
    The only place i could find a copy was on ebay,
    got it for around 10 euro mark from uk.

This is one i've been looking for and could never find.
    the copy of Bubble bobble that came out on the PS1
    couldn't find it anywhere.

Ishmael wrote:
    R-type delta is a good(but fustrating) game.
    The only place i could find a copy was on ebay,
    got it for around 10 euro mark from uk.

Nice one. It usually sells for an awful lot more.
    Ishmael wrote:
    This is one i've been looking for and could never find.
    the copy of Bubble bobble that came out on the PS1
    couldn't find it anywhere.

Don't bother. It was ported by Probe software who are unbelievably in competent (just look at the terrible mega drive MK conversions). They made an absolute shambles of this game on the Saturn as well. It's playable but nowhere near perfect and, I don't know how they managed it, lower res than the arcade. You are better off with playing it on mame which is much close except for the extend letters bug.

BTW Bubble Symphony on the Saturn rocks my socks! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It was ported by Probe software who are unbelievably in competent

Didn't they handle Mortal Kombat? I loved that game....even on the MD

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Ahh space station silicon valley what a great game.I got stuck a good bit into the game and gave up on it.I haven't touched it in years. :(

Didn't they handle Mortal Kombat? I loved that game....even on the MD

they did and made a balls of it. The snes version despite having no blood was a much better game. It was smoother and had combos. As for MK2 the mega drive version was a shambles. All the juggle combos were taken out and the game just felt wrong. Despite SNES games taking up more memory on a cartridge the SNES version had everything from the arcade game and was an extremely close conversion

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads what games and console do ye recommand for me to invest in so i can make a bit of an earner for myself in years to come

The Dreamcast is the next Sega Saturn in terms of retro gaming. There are a lot of rare games that are going cheap but will be worth a mint in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,345 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The Dreamcast is the next Sega Saturn in terms of retro gaming. There are a lot of rare games that are going cheap but will be worth a mint in a few years.
    and what games are these

and what are the best dreamcast games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

and what games are these

and what are the best dreamcast games

Here's a list of some of the most sought after games;

Bangai-O
    Canon Spike
    Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves
    Gigawing 2
    Ikaruga (unreleased outside of Japan)
    Last Blade 2
    Mars Matrix
    Marvel vs. Capcom 2
    Rez
    Project Justice: Rival Schools 2
    Samba De Amigo (w/ maracas)
    Shenmue II
    Street Fighter III: Double Impact
    Street Fighter III: Third Strike

Add Border down and Trizeal to that list

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Add Border down and Trizeal to that list

Aye, the "new" Dreamcast games. Must look into them actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

I had Twisted metal World tour for PSone and I now have it for PC... but it was a fantastic game... both in 2 player combat and co-op it was fantics fun with combos and tactics...

Mr Slam
    Freeze Blast + Special + keep firing rockets... pure evil...

Another game which i played so much on the PSone was Vigilante 8....

same as above but a little more down to earth

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

lol. I'm getting Skies of Arcadia Legends real cheap tomorrow when I get paid. :)

And I sold my copies of Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy IX a couple of months ago.. For double what I paid for them.

damn you kirby damn you!!!!!!!!!
    skies of arcadia isnt really as rare as i once thuoght. we got a few new copies in once in dawson st about 2 months ago and we receive a few preowned now and again. is a very good game but i havnt bothered my ass to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Retro how do you have time to post on boards with all those games? God help you if you got wow. There is no end, nooooooo.

I'm never going to play a MMORPG. I feel that if I did I would have to give up my life.

I used to have loads of time to play games but since after christmas my phd has gotten harder and all I've had time is for shoot'em ups on my saturn. I'm now going to make an effort to play KOTOR 1+2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 BloodNinjaCult

wow = bad.... DON'T RUIN YOUR LIFE KIDS!!!! I get to see the type of people who buy it and....it ain't pretty. 70% percent of the time anyway.

Rare games? try;
    a)Mario 64 N64
    b)Izzys Quest for the Olympic Rings N64

Must have games? try;
    a)Pokemon Snap N64
    b)Chocobo Racing PS1

AWESOME!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

This is a little gem that didn't get near as much as press as deserved - dunno if it falls under rare but definately must have:

Beyond Good & Evil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The problem with collecting all this stuff is I will eventually not have enough minutes left in my lifetime to devote to finishing every game I have.
    Not to mention the fact that, to my wifes eternal confusion, I cannot stand the idea of selling any of them!
    110 ps1 games and counting, all pretty good stuff, even a couple of RPGs in there, though I hate all that turn based stuff.

But there must be a game out there for all collectors like us that represents everything we got into this hobby for, mine is my Vectrex, a handsome mother of a beast and I had to jump through some serious hoops to get it, but its worth every penny.
    Anyone else got a machine or game that shows their hobby off to its very best or do you have a nemesis, that thwarts your evey attempt to get a hold of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭d22ontour

This is a little gem that didn't get near as much as press as deserved - dunno if it falls under rare but definately must have:

Beyond Good & Evil

While i enjoyed the game i finished it in 6 hours which is somewhat disappointing as without collecting all the items/racing would have shortened the game even more. :(

• Advertisement

CiDeRmAn wrote:
    But there must be a game out there for all collectors like us that represents everything we got into this hobby for, mine is my Vectrex, a handsome mother of a beast and I had to jump through some serious hoops to get it, but its worth every penny.
    Anyone else got a machine or game that shows their hobby off to its very best or do you have a nemesis, that thwarts your evey attempt to get a hold of it?

My japanese V-Saturn and radiant silvergun. It's one of those games that there is an awful lot of hype about but when you do play it you realise none of it was true. It's better than everyone says it is.

Advertisement