Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entertainment on Long-Haul Flights?

Options
  • 25-05-2005 8:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭

8 hr flight to the states, two parents and one almost two year old. Any suggestions? So far we're thinking about the usual books, crayons, and some of the cbeebies games on the laptop. Should we bring anything else? Valium maybe? ;)

We only have the hand-luggage space so we can't bring anything too big.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

My parents got my younger brother and sister Video Now for such trips. Kids will watch the same stuff over and over again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Mebbe a few dvd's so? Whats good for a 2 yr old?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=222136&highlight=flights+kids

there was a thread about this before maybe some of those tips will help.

Cheers Thaed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

Rip a few vids to the laptop, also www.archive.org has some older cartoons that can be downloaded for free in case you want to give them something else to watch, ie they get board of the same thing. Also have you got a gameboy etc, if not borrow one, they work a treat! I have one with all the gubbings going if you want one (its a yellow GB colour with mario, magnifier, light, car power cable, and mains power cable, 2 cases and manuals) PM me if your interested, I am in cork.

• Advertisement

I think he's probably too young for a gameboy, his dad would probably end up playing with it more- I think I remember him mumbling about buying one of the new touch-screen ones in the states.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭astec123

The DS! What you do now is find a reason to ground him (your husband not the child) that way he doesnt waste money on it. Curb his pocket money! ;)

Aw, but he's been working so hard recently! It's been months since he bought himself a gadget. I think he's more likely to buy an iPod though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 sabriel

My mam just used to give me some sleepy cough bottle .Would knock me out for most of the flight. Didnt do me any harm..........I think! ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭Souperfreak

I travel home to the states a lot and the Aer Lingus flights are always full of roaming children and crying babies....I always greatly appreciate the parents that get on the flight and give the children cough medicine. It knocks them out and gives the parents some relaxation time. The kids usually sleep the whole flight!

Thanks parents, love ya! ;)

• Advertisement

Guys, I don't feel that cough bottle is the way for me to go on this. He's not even 2 yet, and generally the earliest age you can give children a cough bottle is 2. Maybe a thermos of cocoa or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

You could get him on of them magna-doodle/tomy version drawing things!I think they do a small travel version and you don't have to worry abt crayons falling all over the place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

When i flew to australia there was a 16 month baby\toddler in the seat in front of us. I almost died when i got on the plane, the thought of the kid screaming for the whole journey. But the parents came prepared, they gave the little guy some sort of sleeping tablet or something, really really mild dose cos of his age and he was out like a light. The said that they went to the doc before to see what was going to be ok to give the child and it obviously worked out perfectly, the child woke up with only a half hour left on the flight.

When my bro brought his child to canada recently they had to keep the sun entertained like they never had to before. He did spill red wine on the passenger sitting next to them though. She seemed fine but im sure its the kind of thing u want to avoid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I have just come back from the states on Sunday with my 4 year old. This is our 3rd trip, so I'm getting good at the entertaining now!

Buy a few small toys and wrap them up in paper. The biggest kick was opening them up. Some crayons, coloring book etc. Sticker books are always a big winner. Also their fave cuddly toy. Don't leave home without it!

On this flight, Aer lingus had a plane that had individual tvs in the seat backs, so she watched cartoon films most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend any drugs... you'll pay for it later when they're cranky!
    Just do some thinking about what they like to do best, and go equipped!
    All they really want is to be occupied with some attention and stories etc.
    Also, let them have a walk up and down the plane with you a couple of times. This keeps them happy too.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Sedatives ..strong ones.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 78,414 ✭✭✭✭Victor

sabriel wrote:
    My mam just used to give me some sleepy cough bottle .Would knock me out for most of the flight. Didnt do me any harm..........I think! ;)
    Until it messes up some poor child's liver.

Talk to your GP / pharmacist before medicating your children like this, especially the younger ones.

we survived. Teletubbies on the laptop was great, the magnadoodle thing worked too. Of course, we forgot to bring the new digger we had bought him. :rolleyes:

Advertisement