Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving into an apartment share.. experiences?

Options
  • 25-05-2005 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey there!

I was supposed to move into an apartment with 3 friends, but one of them pulled out, and the rest of us cant afford the place together. So im considering moving into an apartment share in the city centre.. with people I obviously would'nt know!

Has anyone experience with doing this, in general how does it work out ?

Cheers,
    Alan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I did it and everything went perfectly smoothly. Find out what kind of background your potential flatmates have and where they're from - that might give some idea of what sort of people they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Hi Alan,

Don't worry, did the same many times in the past , seems to me that if you wont get on with the people they wont offer you the room.

Have been in both shoes ..looking for someone to fill a room and been looking for a room.
    Best advice i can give ya is check out the toilet/shower/bathroom room and kitchen..if you can see yourself unfussed or unfazed by them ..and the people seem sound ..and they offer you the room..then go for it.

TBH dont be afraid to ask if they mind you smoking or coming in late ...or whatever yer "bad" vices are..in some places they will say no and others they will just grin and think yer their kinda person..do ask..nothing worse than pretending yer something yer not and moving in with a bunch of people you wont like or be able to live with.

Also sexist pig comment..but if you live in a house with girls..be prepared for higher electrical bills..and odd smells...just my experiences...

For me , smoking drinking and grotty living room told me i was in a place i could be happy..and i was for many a year..then i got old..but thats another story :)

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

No we don't know each other. I'm in the same boat as you(person pulled out left us up in a mess) but we advertised on daft and within 24 hours had 3 people coming to view and it's been taken. You could always do it that way. Might be easier on you then, as you wouldn't be the randomer in the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I have a slightly related question..... I am currently living in an apt. with two friends... around two months ago I wake up and stroll in to the kitchen in my boxers to fetch a cup of coffee (as you do when you know you are alone). I arrive in to the kitchen and behold! my friends French girlfriend.......errr? When did you get here?

So i knew nothing of it, but we are very good friends and have a very good understanding with eachother so I thought nothing more of it.....

a week and a half later.. she is still there, so i am wondering what is going on, how long is she here for???

So I ring another friend and ask him did x mention anything about x staying here...yesh apparently she is here for a few months doing a course....ehhhh what?

initially i was rightly pished off, no notice nothing, I honestly would not mind but it's the principle that he did not inform either of us living there......

So one night in the pub we brought the subject up and he was under the impression that we knew about this....fine we agreed that for the few months she was here (she is a student) that she would not have to contribute anything as anything she did was coming out of his pocket apart from the electricity bill which he would pay half, fair enough...

Now, we are looking for a house and she is still here!!!

In short, what I am asking is, what is the norm when there is a couple with three other single people looking for a place in terms of rent paid etc...presuming all rooms are the same

It is my sentiments that while yes they share a room, the living space is compromised and an extra person is in the house and hence, they should contribute more...

how is ths generally worked out, id apreciate any light shed on the matter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

Samba wrote:
    It is my sentiments that while yes they share a room, the living space is compromised and an extra person is in the house and hence, they should contribute more...

how is ths generally worked out, id apreciate any light shed on the matter.

ooh.. tread carefully here. While you are correct, and I totally agree with you.. a lot of couples will look at it from a 'couple's' point of view. Their space is hindered by the singletons, so why should they have to pay more etc.. It's a minefield, and one I almost entered untill I thought to have the 'rent' discussion beforehand.

this is why I am asking the question, what would be the norm, if they do give me the couple speech, I want to be able to point out what generally does happen with couples sharing living space etc....

I am very dubious about the situation

You are paying for a (a) private space (b) shared space. Strike a balance.

I've drafted this.

That is excellent stuff Victor, very helpful of you, thanks!

I have had a chat with the couple in question, the first thing they said was, we are paying the price of one room.

I then explained this to them and what the norm is and after a brief discussion they promptly agreed.(I also pointed out that she had been living here rent free for the past two months, which helped my case)

All is agreed on and now all that remains is to find a suitable house :)

Again, many thanks Victor

• Advertisement

No problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭rideordie

@ Longfield I don't think your comment is a sexist pig one but still..I have a nice boy housemate who spends all he's time playing he's freaking videogames and this is a fact he spends twice as much electricity than 3 girls combined.Just thought u were being a bit unfair..and odd smells??Yea I've had that after the same housemate threw up in hes closet and hasn't cleaned it up yet...the only odd smells coming from my room are perfume and the occasional smell of blow. :D

Advertisement