Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get rid of a dell

Options
  • 25-05-2005 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭

What's the best way to go about selling a Dell? I put it in the buyandsell on the website, on boards.ie for sale forums and even got it put on the for sale board of A.I.B. i know of a neighbour who had to give a dell of only a slightly older age away for free because she couldn't sell it. Where can I get rid of it any suggestions. Don't mind paying a bit of a commision to some ad company even.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

maybe sell it for a lot less than you think it's worth? 300e is better than 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭4Xcut

but it's not a ****e computer. Would i be better selling components. I could sell the hd, cpu, graphics card, drives and moniter.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

4Xcut wrote:
    What's the best way to go about selling a Dell? I put it in the buyandsell on the website, on boards.ie for sale forums and even got it put on the for sale board of A.I.B. i know of a neighbour who had to give a dell of only a slightly older age away for free because she couldn't sell it. Where can I get rid of it any suggestions. Don't mind paying a bit of a commision to some ad company even.

Generally people who are looking for 2nd hand kit are people who could build their own machines, and these people generally dislike Dells.

As a result, you're not going to be able to sell the Dell for anything near what you paid for it.

i'm not lookin to break even just get a fair price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What's fair? You're not going to get a knowledgable buyer on boards to put 650 for your machine, unless you can convince them that they're getting value with added software etc.

For 700 odd you can get a new machine with better specs from the outlet

Dimension 5000 Pentium 4 530 3.00GHZ
    System Price EUR 524.25+vat+del

English - Win XP SP2 Home
    Memory: 1G Memory, 2 X 512mb (400, 512)
    Hard Disk Drive: 160GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    Modem: V.92 Data Fax Modem Ire/Spn
    CD Read-Write Drive: 16 X DVD +/- RW

add a 15" flatscreen for 100 extra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

When I saw the heading first, I was tempted to say something about cliffs and gravity. :p
    But seriously depreciation in computers is a killer. A girl I know forked out about €1000 in May of last year for a similar Dimension 4600 (lower in spec than yours, bar the cpu speed, it was P4 2.8 533FSB - non HT, 512RAM - non DC, 80 gig IDE, DVD/CDRW combo, FX5200 AGP, a 17" CRT plus some Lexmark yoke with their own Dell badge added). Anyway my point is how much would the pc that cost a grand last year be worth now, just 12 months down the line? Would struggle to make €350-400 by the look of things.

Well there's loadsa software i could throw in that works great but i did not want to sell illigitimate copies on boards.ie cos then the admin are liable for me floggin pirate stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

duridian wrote:
    Would struggle to make €350-400 by the look of things.

I would agree with this, sorry 4x.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,608 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

how adding pirated software to a computer adds to its value is beyond me.

Is there anywhere that i could sell it to an eegit. its getting to be more of it will be taking up space rather than putting money towards a new rig

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭padraigf

Drop the price and sell it here or the buy and sell...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

astrofool wrote:
    how adding pirated software to a computer adds to its value is beyond me.

LOL, I had a guy call me in the buyandsell who wanted to swap office 2003 and a few other things for a graphics card. I was confused, 3 blank CD's for a 9600 just didnt seem like a fair swap. Such an eejit!

Thanx for the advise. I would say wish me luck but for all the difference it'll make.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,313 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Sell it here, but sell the monitor, cpu, ram, gfx, hdd separately and then the shell of the machine as the last item. Throw in the keyboard, mouse and license with the shell for free. Quick guess: 110+50+40+70+40 + 130 for the shell is about €440 - not too bad :)
    4Xcut wrote:
    Is there anywhere that i could sell it to an eegit

Not here you won't :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

:eek: he stole my av

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

4Xcut wrote:
    Is there anywhere that i could sell it to an eegit. its getting to be more of it will be taking up space rather than putting money towards a new rig

Thats what you get for buying a dell nobody wants them -

Stick it in the buy and sell - drop your price -with a headline of Best Computer Ever at cheap price -

You might get a fish that way -

Or else stick it in the for sale forum -
    Sell the Hdd, Gfx , Memory , Cpu, monitor, Speakers. dump the case and crappy mobo

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

yep, break it for parts. you'll do much better.

edit: just looked through your FS thread, and it looks to me like you could have got some good money for it, but people lost interest.

dr. phil said it best (he was talking about a bike though).

it is worth EXACTLY what you can get for it when you need to sell it, and not a penny more.

if you can find someone to buy it when nobody else will, then it's worth whatever they will pay you for it.

i know it's hard, but you could have sold it already and be rid of the thing if yiou'd accepted one of the offers in your FS thread.

sold in buyandsell for €550. Pure fluke though. Thanx for all advice

Advertisement