Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Unlock Restrictions

• 25-05-2005 10:37pm
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been looking into getting a new phone, the phone in question I want to get is a Motorola V3.
    Unfortunatly O2 don't have it so that leaves me with Vodafone where its available for €289.00 on ready to go (I'm on Pay as you go with O2)
    the bad side of this is I'm not a fan of O2 so I'm left with two options

1. Get the phone from Vodafone, get it unlocked and move back to o2

2.. Wait for O2 to sell the phone

1. So here's my question,
    If I get the phone from Vodafone on ready to go what are the restrictions?, I know with O2 you use X amount of credit and they give you the unlock code.
    Is this the case with Vodafone?

If it is the case how much credit do you have to use AND if I managed to unlock the phone could I then move back to O2 or is there some kind of contract before I can move my phone number back?

2. Anybody have any idea when O2 may stock this phone on pay as you go?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I THINK it is E100. Vodafone make life a little difficult requesting you send in a letter application giving reason why you want it unlocked with you IMEI number etc in the letter. If you ring the vodafone customer care they can tell you all the details.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Any able to confirm this?
    100e ain't bad, but having to send them a letter etc sounds like a load of crap

Actually I don't think I'd move my number, easier just get a new one with Vodafone, unlock the phone and use my good old O2 card :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Hey,

Me thinks ya would be better getting the fone sim free
    just a quick search found this V3
    They ship to ireland & a quick check on the conversion = 320 before shipping.
    but a bit of googling might find a better deal for ya.

hopefully some help & save a few quid!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭pauln

I just got a phone unlocked from Vodafone Ready to Go recently and they said they were checking I'd put €150 through the phone and they gave me the unlock code there and then over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Or just get it unlocked by "somebody" who does unlocking! ;)
    Also, Meteor are now doing it. But its only on bill
    Price depends on the tariff
    http://www.meteor.ie/makethemove/v3.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Yeah it's €127 with vodafone before they'll unlock it for you( and theats not including regestration credit)

Or as wolfman says, just buy it, sell the regestration credit to a mate on Vodafone & then use the profits to get it unlocked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

mik_da_man wrote:
    just a quick search found this V3
    They ship to ireland

mobilefun ship accessories to ireland but they don't ship handsets outside the UK

this appears towards the end of their handset pages:
    Unfortunately, we cannot accept orders for mobile phones from outside the United Kingdom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'll just get the phone from Vodafone and unlock it and then use my O2 sim, it'll cost me about 320 altogether which is decent enough imho
    Certainly cheaper then buying it from fish4fones.ie etc :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Conor S

I dunno if this will work for you but its certainly worth a try.
    I bought a Nokia 6600 on Vodafone RTG last March.I registered it online and received my free credit.I DID NOT TOP UP AT ANY STAGE,Then I rang customer care and asked for an NAC unlocking code and within a week they rang me back and gave me the code with no hassle.Maybe I just slipped through the net but follow the above steps and see how it goes.
    Conor

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

In my experience theres no chance in hell of getting an unlocking code for vodafone, i dont know how people called and managed to get one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭cooker3

Well as former employee what happens is we have a little that we are supposed to check and it says how much call credit has been spent on that number and if your under the limit of €127 then you will not get it.

Advertisement