Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Punches Cross Development,

Options
  • 26-05-2005 7:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭

Ok I have been searching through the Limerick City Council planning records and cant find it anywhere. and google for some reason doesnt like me this morning.

so if anyone out there has previously searched for information on whatever it is that is going to be built beside punches pub could they post a link to it here. as I am having no luck.

from what I have heard, a hotel is going to be built. but I do not know how many rooms its going to have or how many stories its going to have.

It looks like it will be Bye Bye to the beer garden or the construction of a smaller beer garden, and the demolition of the lounge bar. but whether the lounge will be part of this new hotel,

so does anyone have any info?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭moshpit77

It's owned by the two mile inn so it's most likely a hotel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Rather than start a new thread I dug this one up .

Was in 4 star pizza yesterday talking to the lad behind the counter , he said that they were due to move out shortly as that whole area is going to be knocked and apartments are to be built there .

They were actually supposed to move out in May , but it is delayed for now . You would imagine John Maloney's would have started on a new garage somewhere around the town .

As a side note , the same guy said that the developers had originally wanted to knock Punch's but were not allowed as it is a listed building ( or something to that effect ) . Anyone able to enlighten me on this ?

PS: my 13 year old reckons they couldn't knock it because then " it wouldn't be punch's cross anymore " :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

jonski wrote:
    Rather than start a new thread I dug this one up .

Was in 4 star pizza yesterday talking to the lad behind the counter , he said that they were due to move out shortly as that whole area is going to be knocked and apartments are to be built there .

They were actually supposed to move out in May , but it is delayed for now . You would imagine John Maloney's would have started on a new garage somewhere around the town .

As a side note , the same guy said that the developers had originally wanted to knock Punch's but were not allowed as it is a listed building ( or something to that effect ) . Anyone able to enlighten me on this ?

PS: my 13 year old reckons they couldn't knock it because then " it wouldn't be punch's cross anymore " :D

John Maloney has land bought out on the Ballysimon Road close to Lyons and O'Mara Motors afaik. Haven't seen any construction started there yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

PS: my 13 year old reckons they couldn't knock it because then " it wouldn't be punch's cross anymore "

From the mouths of babes :)

PunchesPub.jpg

It is just as well it is being kept, however It is also a shame to see it all boarded up as well. It could have been kept open.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭onlyfinewine

That's a super picture of the pub taken probably in the late seventies when they were extending from the original. By the way, did anyone spot that the name over the door is Dennis R Ryan and not Punch's ? He was actually a nephew of the original Patrick Punch who founded the pub. He enjoyed an active retirement, lived in Abington and finally passed away in 2004.
    The questions of the re-development have been fairly well progressed at this stage. I still have questions about traffic flow, noise etc, when the hotel and apartments are completed.

• Advertisement
Advertisement