Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

I feel dirty saying this....

• 26-05-2005 10:45am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭

...but congrats to Liverpool. It's hard saying that, being an Evertonian and all :eek:

I think this thread is more about inter-club rivalry and supporting english teams while living in ireland, than liverpool winning the CL.

As my friends will know, there is no more of a stubborn Everton fan on this planet than me and my club comes first. I've supported them since about 1985 when I first started school and have been to Goodison on many an occasion. There's no better feeling or atmosphere than when the toffees march out onto the hallowed turf...

There's been highs and many lows for my adult life. This year we had a great season and gained the 4th spot for CL qualification for next year and long may it continue.

Now when this was possibly going to be taken away from us on the back of our closest rival I was of course rightly p1ssed off, but when it was secured and announced that the 4th place team was guaranteed the spot, my blue hat came off I think... I didn't really mind Liverpool proceeding in the tournament. Of course when it comes down to derby day my blue hat is firmly secured and i hope that liverpool get hammered 6-0 or something to that degree..

If it came down to it and if liverpool were going to get in ahead of everton if they won the CL of course I would have been supporting AC last night, but during the match and especially just after half-time when gerrard scored I thought about what liverpool losing would mean to a lot of people that I know... No skin off my nose if they lost to be honest, but the passion that liverpool showed last night with that comeback has to be commended.

So being Irish, do we really feel the passion and support to the same degree as our english cousins, who grow up in these areas... Can we? Is it a 'different type' of support?

I often see the bitterness and schoolboy taunts between Man Utd, Liverpool and Arsenal fans in particular on this forum and sometimes think its all a bit silly. I suppose rivalry is natural...

In work for example there were a few man utd fans who went out and bought AC milan shirts to wear to work yesterday just to p1ss off the liverpool fans..

I don't know, I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should support the teams that represent the league that our club plays in.... Its a funny old game... and hopefully Liverpool return to the premiership next season and continue with their premiership form of this season...

Anyway... good luck in the UEFA cup next season liverpool fans :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭knobbles

well i do remember leaping out of my seat and cheering man utd's late late show against Bayern in '99

and while i enjoyed the first half hammering liverpool got last night, i was equally excited by their 2nd half comeback. It was a great match to watch and i was happy to congratulate my mates who support the reds. Fair play to them, now long may they stay below Everton in the league!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Hate Hate Hate Hate Liverpool and there fans.....not sure why but just have an in grown hatred......haha

Anyway I was surprised to find me jumping out of the seat when the 3rd one went in.......thing I actually found strange was that when I was with a load of Liverpool supporters when Utd won it they where all complaining and giving out....I wasnt impressed because I wanted Utd to win just because they where a UK team in a league I watch every week.........ended up with a few Utd supporters last nite and they where all supporting the 'Pool(as they like to call it) and no bad feelings at all when they won it........

Any Liverpool supporter explain????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You misunderstand teh rivalry.
    I like Benetiz, I really like Carragher and Alonson and Finnan, but really like Benetiz.
    So if they do well, I am happy.
    The reason I wanted AC Milan to win is because of the bragging rights and bitter rivalry.

Firstly, now whenever anybody says anything bad about Liverpool, it wil be returned with, but we're european champions.

Secondly, I honastly didn't think they deserved it, I wanted to see Chelsea in the final.
    In the semi I was initially routing for Liverpool, cause I didn't want CHelsea to win a treble, but I would hold up my hand and say, look these guys are quality.
    Liverpool had 10 minutes of brilliance in that entire match, and two goals were down to bad goalkeeping imo, and one was possibly a dive.
    Don't get me wrong, they were outstanding, but other teams deserrved it more, and I don't like cup formats as I've said before, too much luck involved.

At the same time, I had goosebumps at the start of the match. I wanted to see Gerrard lift the trophy cause well these players are familiar to me.
    But there is bitterness there, we didn't win the PL or the CL this year, so liverpool losing to the guys who beat us to an certain extent would have made me feel better, like we were beaten by the best.

Rivalry is what its all about, and its between fans.
    I'd imagine the majority of the CHelsea Arsenal and Man Utd taems were cheering on Liverpool last night.
    However I'd imagine few Utd fans were cheering on Liverpool, and tbh, I'd imagine most Liverpool fans were cheering on Arsenal in the FA Cup final, thats what its all about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Big Nelly wrote:
    Hate Hate Hate Hate Liverpool and there fans.....not sure why but just have an in grown hatred......haha

Anyway I was surprised to find me jumping out of the seat when the 3rd one went in.......thing I actually found strange was that when I was with a load of Liverpool supporters when Utd won it they where all complaining and giving out....I wasnt impressed because I wanted Utd to win just because they where a UK team in a league I watch every week.........ended up with a few Utd supporters last nite and they where all supporting the 'Pool(as they like to call it) and no bad feelings at all when they won it........

Any Liverpool supporter explain????

The wild unimaginable explanation is that everyone does not tink the same - I support liverpool but was roaring on Utd in their CL final.

The greater good and all that......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I usually lean to one side no matter who is playing but last night I was the most neutral I've probably ever been watching a match. Althoug I can't stand goalkeepers like Lehmenn, Dudek, etc. so in the end I was cheering on Milan. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

PHB wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, they were outstanding, but other teams deserrved it more, and I don't like cup formats as I've said before, too much luck involved.

That's the stupidest thing I've ever read on this forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,913 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Well, my bro is a liverpool supporter, and I support man utd, but as above, when liverpool looked to be coming back last night, I was definitely up for them, and even when they went 2 penalties ahead, I feared the worst, that milan would get back into it because of Liverpool's woeful penalty taking (notice that gerrard didn't take one, and riise missed his?, both would take a penality during a match). But was very happy when liverpool won.

Even though it'll mean Liverpool fans holding up 5 fingers when they win nothing of note in the next decade, I was happy to see Liverpool win, after all, they have to have something to make up for that scouse accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You know whats stupider than saying something that might be stupid, its calling it stupid and then not saying why. Make the person callling it stupid look a bit silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Nah, I think your own comment achieved that. I was merely quoting for posterity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

I was neutral but slightly favouring Milan last night, I was gracious enough to text a good luck message to a few of my mates who went to istanbul, and although sorely tempted to then send another text at half time, I fortunately decided not to.

I was impressed with the comeback that they made, and by the time they got their second goal I was almost actively cheering them on.

Personally, from a Chelsea bias viewpoint, I enjoyed the game and the spirit they showed, but annoyed now that I will have to listen to scousers going on and on and on about this for the next million years, thus somewhat spoiling my ability to revel in winning the league and beating them in the carling cup. I don't feel any need to support english clubs in europe, just cause they play in the same league as my team, in general I will always look for Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool to be beaten, this allows additional ammunition for light hearted wind ups and banter with their fans, when they win I am on the receiving end of said wind-ups, which is the wrong side ! end of the day my sole interest is in Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I was shouting for manu at the weekend tbh. I'd hate to see english football becoming very london-centric.

honestly i think the problem most people have with manu is ferguson. he has a tendency to be quite bitter. but i think he's mellowed out a little recently. plus you always want to see roy keane do well.

Rather than say liverpool were undeserving - turn it around and note the incredible achievement of THAT team of players winning europe's biggest prize. Imagine Irealnd winning the World Cup - that's close to what it feels like if you're a Liverpool fan now.

On a side note - i'd love to read Benitez' autobiography. What was said at half-time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Damo, hold me!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

yeah well done to the pool.

the pool have been one of the rivals i really enjoyed beating over the years and hating when they beat us. however i was shouting for them last night. but gradually as the hours pass by that begrudging feeling is coming back.

all will be back to normal tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

I don't see why an Irish evertonian would have any more reason to dislike Liverpool than a fan of any other club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

I was an ABU (anybody but united) before I supported Liverpool. I just hated their glory hunting supporters. They won the premiership season after season. It was sickening the way they came in every mondy morning screaming how great their team was. So I supported what I thought was the biggest opposition to United. So naturally I was pissed off when they won the CL. But I've grown up a bit since.

Yet, I half-heartidly backed Arsenal for the FA Cup Final. More as a football supporter, because both teams are capable of playing beautiful football. Arsenal always try to, however United usually use spoiling tactics against Arsenal. Fair enough if spoiling tactics work, but I want to see the day when defensive play, bullying, diving doesn't work anymore. Of coarse, I turn as blind eye when Liverpool are doing it ;)

As Irish we probably all have a disposition towards the underdog. I know I always route for the team thats 3-0 down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

cregser wrote:
    Arsenal always try to, however United usually use spoiling tactics against Arsenal. Fair enough if spoiling tactics work, but I want to see the day when defensive play, bullying, diving doesn't work anymore. Of coarse, I turn as blind eye when Liverpool are doing it ;)

wenger played bergkamp on his own up front with five in midfield!!!!!

wenger played bergkamp on his own up front with five in midfield!!!!!

I made my mind up before the match from what I'd seen of Arsenal-v-United matches before. I did sway a bit during the match though.

Considering Reyes was wearing one of those anti-bullying wrist bands I'm not surprised he chose those tactics!

He was trying to adjust to no Henry. In fairness, United played Arsenal off the park at stages of the match. But United also had everyone behind the ball whenever Arsenal were in pocession. Wenger was kinda forced into those tactics.

But thats just the FA CUp, nothing to get excited over. Its no CHAMPIONS LEAGUE. :):):):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Actually, the OP is so out of character and I wondering whether or not his account as been highjacked. I am considering reporting it to the admin to check it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭Third_Echelon

Damo, hold me!
    ehhem..... your kind request is duely declined...
    cregser wrote:
    As Irish we probably all have a disposition towards the underdog. I know I always route for the team thats 3-0 down.
    Nail on the head there cregser. Now that I actually think about it, yout right. This is a major factor in who i subconsciously choose to 'root for' in a game where my own team isn't playing...
    Actually, the OP is so out of character and I wondering whether or not his account as been highjacked. I am considering reporting it to the admin to check it...
    Enjoy it while it lasts.... Next weekend I'll be back to normal... Maybe its just the gentle summer breeze, the birds singing, the horses galloping in the field, the seagulls following the trawler (ooh ahh)... that feel good buzz that is affecting me... ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement