Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Michael Owen Killer Blow!!!!!

• 26-05-2005 11:12am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

He tried to shaft us on a new contract, Rafa took no sh1te, shipped him out with a smile on his face, real madrid my ar$e, come on the pool premierleague champions 05/06.

YNWA

When you walk through the storm
    Hold your head up high
    And don't be afraid of the dark
    At the end of the storm

There's a golden sky
    And the sweet silver song of the lark

Walk on, through the wind
    Walk on, through the rain
    Though your dreams be tossed and blown
    Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
    And you'll never walk alone
    You'll never walk alone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Do we need anymore Liverpool threads?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

Big Nelly wrote:

Good point - i think ill start a few more

Jesus what's peoples problem with liverpools success

It's been 12 hours and you have been asleep for 8 of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,895 ✭✭✭SteM

To jump from 5th to 1st next season would be a leap too far imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

egan007 wrote:
    Good point - i think ill start a few more

Jesus what's peoples problem with liverpools success

It's been 12 hours and you have been asleep for 8 of them

I have no problem but we dont want 15 threads anybout anything that has any sort of connection with Liverpool.....next one will be about McMannam(sp) and how he should have never left and was sickened sitting in the UTV bout last nite

Well done ot Liverpool and if you read "one" of the other threads you will notice I was supporting them!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

couldnt see them toppling arsenal chelsea and united unless they spend chelsea style this summer and get some absolute perfect buys,not just buying 3 players and hope one is good as chelsea seem to do ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭egan007

How about just ignoring any thread you don't want to read? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Thumper Long

Big Nelly wrote:

1. you can never have too many liverpool threads
    2. expensive players dont win titles teams do! look at what rafa did in spain on a relative shoestring compared to the big 2
    3. YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

jesus it begins. Now I know why I wanted Milan to win.

Edit: Not really, I wanted the best team to win...

The best comback since Bobby Ewing in the shower! :):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

cheesedude wrote:
    jesus it begins. Now I know why I wanted Milan to win.

Edit: Not really, I wanted the best team to win...
    The best team did win so its ok :D

• Advertisement

For that comeback I would have to say yeah they did deserve it on that basis...

Edit: If I was a full on Milan fan though, I would say we were robbed!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

If I was a Milan fan I'd say we weren't robbed we bottled it, but I'm not a Milan fan.

Actually maybe bottles it is a better word, they really did throw it away in that 6 minutes!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

The best comback since Bobby Ewing in the shower! :):):)

lmao :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

couldnt see them toppling arsenal chelsea and united
    I have to laugh when I read things like this; i.e. including Utd. They were poor this season and are miles behind Arsenal and Chelsea. Old team, some poor players in key position, e.g. Roy Carroll in goal - 4 years ago he couldn't get a game with N.Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

i have to say it is fairly amusing to wonder how he must feel now all alone out in madrid while his mates have just won the champions league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 375 ✭✭Board@Work

Screw Owen..

Showed no loyalty to the club and got what he deserved.. nothing..

thegills wrote:
    e.g. Roy Carroll in goal - 4 years ago he couldn't get a game with N.Ireland.
    He still cant that maik taylor cabbage is still first choice :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

SteM wrote:
    To jump from 5th to 1st next season would be a leap too far imho.

All we need is 4 or 5 more comments like this, and it we will definetly do it :D

*seems to have worked in this years CL :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

congratulations to liverpool....however are people forgetting they were down 3-0 at half time? they were played off the park in the first half. liverpool won last night and the other champions league games on adrenalin, next year it will be all about ability.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

"next year it will be all about ability."

and while your looking into the future there, would u mind telling us who will win the preimiership nxt year and by how many points?

and how do you measure ability? did milan (a team i also love btw) have the ability to stop liverpool from coming back so fast? did benitez not use his own tactical ability to come up with a new formation for the 2nd half? was there no ability show by gerrard with that header?? i could go on and on. you dont beat juve/chelsea/milan with no/a lack of abilty.

at the end of the day, liverpool are on top of the mountain again, we beat the English champions, the Italian champions and the runners up to the Italian champions. EAT IT

im not getting into an argument about this. i was merely pointing out its a tad premature to be talking about winning the premier league when ye were 30+ points off the top. yes ye did win the champions league and well done but surely you have to admit that milan threw it away?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 999 ✭✭✭cregser

congratulations to liverpool....however are people forgetting they were down 3-0 at half time? they were played off the park in the first half. liverpool won last night and the other champions league games on adrenalin, next year it will be all about ability.
    That's the second time this season that liverpool have started the second half with 3 goals required , do or die, and they did. Liverpool 3-0 down and they never gave up. Milan at 3-3 and they wilted. It doesn't matter if Milan have the 11 best footballers in the world, they didn't have the mentality to overcome the onslaught. Were they expecting Liverpool to wilt? Did they think they had already won it? Didn't they reaslise there's 90mins in a match? Didn't they realise they were playing Liverpool? At 1-0, 2-0 Liverpool didn't panic. At 3-0 they were understandably down, but they conceeding to good goals. And they attacked AC anyway. You don't see every team doing that and just believing like that.

Oh yeah, the look on Michael Owen's face when he was ITV pundit for the Chealse match was priceless. Granted, his agent instigated his move but Owen followed through on it despite reassuring Liverpool fans. Him leaving could have triggered an exodus of ouor best players. So I feel no pity for him. He's welcome to come back and revive his career under Benitez though. But if he'd rather watch Real Madrid not win anything from the subs bench, good for him.

cregser wrote:
    That's the second time this season that liverpool have started the second half with 3 goals required , do or die, and they did. Liverpool 3-0 down and they never gave up. Milan at 3-3 and they wilted. It doesn't matter if Milan have the 11 best footballers in the world, they didn't have the mentality to overcome the onslaught. Were they expecting Liverpool to wilt? Did they think they had already won it? Didn't they reaslise there's 90mins in a match? Didn't they realise they were playing Liverpool? At 1-0, 2-0 Liverpool didn't panic. At 3-0 they were understandably down, but they conceeding to good goals. And they attacked AC anyway. You don't see every team doing that and just believing like that.

liverpool were playing as underdogs all year. underdogs are very hard to play against because they have this huge fight inside them. milan fell apart as they done against psv because they couldnt fight.

now this is fine in a cup competition but no team has ever played the way liverpool has played i.e. all fight and gusto over 38 games in a league campaign.

good luck in the premiership next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I have to laugh at some Liverpool fans. Saying they will win the Premiership next season is amazing. Yes they did brilliant in the Champions League but they finished 37 points behind Chelsea so unless another Roman Abramabitch comes in with a sh*t load of money then Pool will only be looking at 4th and third.

I think Rafa is a brilliant manager and given time he can make Pool challange for Premiership honours in a few years but not next season.

After the match i said Michael Owen must be Sick. It was great business of liverpools part. £8million with only a year left. He has only himself to blame, he should of given Rafa a chance to see if he could change things around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dewey wrote:
    I have to laugh at some Liverpool fans. Saying they will win the Premiership next season is amazing.

i think most fans dont think we will. Most will think we will finish closer to chelsea then this year.

I aint going to make any predictions on who will win the league until the summer signings are all done. Looking at some of bannors posts, this is shaping up to be a very exciting and interesting summer!

Confidence is everything in football. Liverpool will go into next season with the same confidence as Chelsea and Arsenal. Plus if Liverpool (most likely) don't get into the CL next season they'll be more hungry for the Premiership. Chelsea and Arsenal will both have one eye on each cup. ManU will be too busy keeping both eyes on Glazer ;).

BTW, Michael Owen has stated that he's NOT jealous of Liverpool, IMO distancing himself further from the club. Well he could have fooled me. But it makes me wonder if he'll ever return. It would be great to see the prodical son return sometime. If he ever joined another English club I ... would... not be happy.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N148954050527-0922.htm
    Michael Owen has insisted he isn't jealous of Liverpool's Champions League success.
    Owen left Anfield in the summer in the hope of winning major honours with Real Madrid, but the Spanish outfit finished the season trophy-less while Liverpool enjoyed one of their greatest ever nights in Istanbul to win the European Cup for the fifth time.

"Who knows if they would have got to the final if I was leading the attack or if I would have done things differently from Milan Baros," said Owen. "People will say my timing for leaving Anfield was suspect but how was I, or anyone else, to know that Liverpool were about to go on the most incredible run to the final?

"A few months ago when they had been knocked out of the FA Cup at Burnley and were struggling outside the Champions League places, people were speculating that it might be a disastrous season for Liverpool.

"There are so many turning points but now that they have come good I am thrilled for some of my old colleagues such as Stevie Gerrard, Didi Hamann and Jamie Carragher.

"I hope it does kick-start a great new era for Liverpool."
    Diplomatic, but no mention of the fans that celebrated him and chanted his name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Micheal Owen still has a better chance next season for Silverware than any Liverpool player does, IMO.
    Real look to be getting a ****load of new players this summer, and Owen is going to be part of the next generation of Real Madrid dominance

• Advertisement

There is no loyalty in football and there hasn't been for many years..

The only exception I can think of off hand is Le Tisser and thats because he was too lazy to move..

Owen should have given more back to the club and more respect prior to his leaving. Aside from the massive pay cheques he was recieving it also gave him his professional start and in the end he treated us (the fans) who chanted his name and payed his wages disgracefully.

I didn't think at the time we got a good price for him either..

i wonder would Rafa take him back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 925 ✭✭✭David19

PHB wrote:
    Micheal Owen still has a better chance next season for Silverware than any Liverpool player does, IMO.
    Real look to be getting a ****load of new players this summer, and Owen is going to be part of the next generation of Real Madrid dominance

I was going to say the exact same thing. Unless they sell him to United or Arsenal etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

cregser wrote:
    But it makes me wonder if he'll ever return. It would be great to see the prodical son return sometime.

Are you joking? After - and let's not fool ourselves - the way he tried to shaft the club?

After a trophyless season warming the bench, I hope the little toe rag gets offloaded by Madrid to Newcastle (no disrespect to Newcastle). Good enough for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

PHB wrote:
    and Owen is going to be part of the next generation of Real Madrid dominance

They'll have to topple Barcelona first.

David19 wrote:
    I was going to say the exact same thing. Unless they sell him to United or Arsenal etc

But that still doesn't negate the fact that he didn't win anything from the bench at Real.. And even if they do win anything next year he is far from assured of playing..

I could have been so different if he stayed

Makaveli wrote:
    They'll have to topple Barcelona first.

:D @ your sig. Good season for you then?

I expect Real to put up a bigger fight next season but I reckon Barca will probably retain their form, and eventually the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Looking at the amazing team Barca are building, Real have it all to do in Spain. It will definately be close but with Barca getting back some of the key players that were out this season and with the amazing new additions they really look a team that can retain the La Liga title.

As for Micky Owen, i gotta feel for him a bit, must be absolutely heart breaking to leave your home town club in search of glory only to find them winning they biggest club compitition in the world! Would like a return though.

And as a Liverpool fan, i for one really dont believe we'll be winning the Premiership next season, would think have a fair chance at 3rd ahead of Utd tho as a realistic target. Given another season or two to adapt and stamp his personal signiture on the team i think Rafa will have us back challangeing again. Lets not forget under Houllier we were challanging right to the death only a few years ago and finished 2nd, and to be honest id fancy Rafa to form a better team then we had then given a little time.

When South Korea (of all teams) make it to the semi-finals of the world cup, when Greece win the European Cup, when Porto and then Liverpool win the Champions League, NOBODY is garaunteed silverware.

From the first half alone on Wednesday, I believe that AC Milan have the greatest potential of any other team. It's about realising that potential and I believe the manager/coach has a very big role in achieving that. Look at all of the potential of Arsenal that Wenger couldn't get out of his team this season. Mourinho did it expertly with Chelsea this season (unlike Ranieri) and Benitez squeezed everything out of Liverpool for the CL (and granted, made mistakes in the Premiership).

My point is that Michael Owen saw what Mourinho did for Porto, he also experienced first-hand a football lesson from Valencia in the CL with Benitez at the helm. If you remember when Valencia beat Liverpool 2-0 at Anfield in 2002 . That match alone gained my respect for Rafa (and actually got me watching La Liga matches). But when Liverpool signed Benitez, Michael Owen ignored this. He saw his name in neon lights, playing as one of the 'Galacticos'. He joined a club that has no respect for managers, where the best players in the world use their magic alone to win trophies. I can see why that may be paradise for a professional footballer.

But I think his decision was wrong, and it was selfish. I believe Real are looking for another manager. If thats the case, I wish Frank Rijkaard the best of luck next season. He has converted me into a Barcelona supporter (as my 2nd... or 3rd team). I used to support Real as a kid becuase a spanish student that stayed in my house one summer bought me a Real cap. I don't respect their ways anymore.

For Owen to return and admit his mistake, would be vindication for this Liverpool supporter (my 1st team!). All would be forgiven.

@ ~Rebel~

For one thing Micky Owen supported Everton as a kid. And another, he doesn't have a scouser accent. But he plays good footy and that's what matters.

I'm going into next season believing once again. For years everyone said "next year could be Liverpool's year". I eventually gave up but the belief is back.

In fairness to Houllier he was good for the club. He had some great ideas that were unfortunate not to work out for him. His problem was he didn't know when to let go. But that's football. I think Rafa himself has got two teams relegated... but he knew when to take a sabatical.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

markororke wrote:
    There is no loyalty in football and there hasn't been for many years..

The only exception I can think of off hand is Le Tisser and thats because he was too lazy to move..

There have been a few others like Steve Bull at Wolves, who at the height of his career could have played in almost any Prem club but choose to stay.

As for Owen, I doubt Rafa would re-sign him but if by chance he did I would'nt complain - Owen + Morientes + Cisse + Pongolle and A N Other would be pretty decent.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

mike65 wrote:
    As for Owen, I doubt Rafa would re-sign him but if by chance he did I would'nt complain - Owen + Morientes + Cisse + Pongolle and A N Other would be pretty decent.

Mike.

A N Other..... weren't chelsea reported to be after him?????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Bannor

Rafa's target for next season is a top 3 finish in the league - Champions League/UEFA Cup is no concern. He reckons that it may be next summer before he will have the team functioning the way he wants it to. So any supporters expecting the Championship next season would be best advised to get their heads oul of the clouds.

Liverpool would do very well to make the top 3 next year. It'd be a big step forward after winning the champions league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Real will dominate soon enough, so Owen won't be missing out on anything. He will be getting more than Stevie G.

Advertisement