Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers last night

Options
  • 26-05-2005 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭

I was in Cork City last night watching the soccer and was driving home around 11pm. I stopped at the Esso garage on Western Road for some petrol. Holy crap! I couldn't believe what was happening there. Boy racers had the entire service station taken over!! Revving engines and stopped beside petrol pumps chatting to the people in other scumbag cars. I'm embarrased to say it but i was actually slightly frightened. I couldn't get to a pump so i pulled up behind one of the cars (surprise surprise a civic with lexus lights) with "Fu*k you i'm insured" on the number plate. This guy was hanging out the window smoking a fag and not using the pump so i asked him to move up a little bit if he didn't mind. I got the two fingers. Eventually i managed to get some petrol and left. I can't understand how service stations allow this kind of behaviour go on at their forecourts. At the next set of lights a few of the cars from the service station arrived behind me and begun driving like complete maniacs. I mean crazy dangerous driving here - it wasn't funny.

I used to have sympathy for youg guys like these not being able to get on the road because of insurance costs etc. Now i wish their insurance went so high they would have to cycle bikes. MIJAG has certainly lost my support if these are the type of people they represent. Which they bloody well do, no denying that.

Speaking to a buddy this morning apparantly it's a country wide thing with boy racers and service stations. Get a life aresholes!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Yeah that petrol station often attracts the absolute bottom rung of society. I mean you have boy racers, you have scumbags then you have the shower of complete gob****es that congregate there. All you can do is laugh really... silly bastards will never have any sense as long as they live... (which hopefully won't be a very long time)

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

unfortunatly happens all the time.. the 'real' boy racers only come out at night, when all the traffic cops have gone to bed. The only thing to do is report it, if enough people report it, it will look bad on their statistics if they do not follow it up. Easier to vent to a cop whos job it is to sort this sort of stuff out than post on here, where no one here can do anything but agree with you? (which i do)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

DukeDredd wrote:
    beside petrol pumps....smoking a fag
    :rolleyes: Says it all really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Ive seen a few petrol stations take on Security for late at night around the Wexford area, because of little knacks driving around in their 1 litre turbocharged bottle rockets thinking they own the roads and now the petrol stations which they seem to be using as a meeting place. Ive got no problem with boyrcers wanting to have their meets and do their thing(i actually quite like a car when its been modified properely) but petrol stations arent the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

Sometimes all you can do is point and laugh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

edmund_f wrote:
    unfortunatly happens all the time.. the 'real' boy racers only come out at night, when all the traffic cops have gone to bed. The only thing to do is report it, if enough people report it, it will look bad on their statistics if they do not follow it up. Easier to vent to a cop whos job it is to sort this sort of stuff out than post on here, where no one here can do anything but agree with you? (which i do)

what is Garda going to do ?

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Biker.ie

Small%20Grenade.jpgSmall%20Grenade.jpgSmall%20Grenade.jpg
    why didn't you lob afew coconuts into that forecourt and clip it ! (assuming you had anything faster than a 1.3civic) :D

rofl.. HAS to be coconuts though.. anything else wouldnt be half as side splitting.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I reckon one of those stingers that the guards have, pulled across the entrance then throw your coconuts!

Ratchet wrote:

dunno, am not one, have heard urban myths of them actually sorting these things out for us law abiding citizens?.

Wonder if we will see a few more cop cars out at the weekend to keep an eye on these guys.. at least they will be close to a source of coffee and doughnuts :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

Thing is as soon as the Guards are about these feckers seem to have radar to their presence. Also, i think they are very good at alerting each other by texting etc as soon as there is a sign of trouble for them.

do they have unmarked in Cork?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

^^^ "unmarked" cars are easy enough to spot, especially if its the same few around all the time

I assume mobiles replaced CB radio as the mode of communication for boy racers? When i was younger the place i grew up was plagued by them, all of em had huge whip ariels on the roofs and warned each other if any cops arrived, making catching them in the act quite difficult.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Would you prefer they were hanging out as a service station talking about plastic bits for their cars - or robbing your gaff?

:eek:

amazing the way these guys can uncover multi million euro drug rings but seem to be powerless against a few teenagers in starlets with mobile phones?. I would gather that this is just not important enough. Perhaps this is a case of 'remove the warning labels and let god sort them out?'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Ratchet wrote:

The Gardai can enforce the law. What has been described in the Thread sounds like driving with undue care and attention. They could check the cars for unlawful fittings such as Blue /red lights fitted to the undercarriage or bonnet of the the respective cars.
    (see thread re blue light on motor bike ). Check whether each driver has his Driving Licence on him/her and whether they are entitled to drive ( ie are they driving unaccomapanied , do they have L plates fitted etc etc )

Problems arise where people make allegations of say Dangerous Driving but will not follow thru in court ( which is understandable given lifes pressures etc ) thus if people phone the local cops and they can witness the driving behaviour themselves it makes life easier all round. What i will say about the Police is you only get the the service that YOU DEMAND !!!! The type of behaviour described by Duke Dredd in my opinion is completely unacceptable and people should phone the local cop shop about it , if they start getting a moxy load of calls they will have to react. I would also say that the Garage would have a duty of care in relation to the cigarettes on the forecourt . Thats my two cents !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

well speaking as a business owner who owns a business in a dunnes stores shopping center that " boy racers use " i see no problom in them using the shopping center as a gathering point to chat show new mods learn how to wire there newly aquired ice etc.. basicly anything they want to do once no one gets hurt or nothing gets damaged .

over the past year ive seen the shopping center car park get used more and more by them as there is no speed ramps and the surface is fairly smooth . saturday / sunday mornings when i go to open i do usually see the marks from donuts or drifting but tbh ive never seen one of the lads use the car park for the above activites while others were in the shopping center . or when others could get injured .

but yes there has been axidents in the shopping center using cars over the last year but alas not one was because a boy racer went into another person in the carpark its always farmers / old ladies / female drivers / people that dont read which way is one way signs . o and of corse the good old loory driver that went into the roof of the mc d's

if these " boy racers " had a aera which they could safely do what they want to do without the hassel of others who dont like what they would do im sure they would use it as im sure they are fed up of bing told to leave the aera .

but in the case of that petrol station tell the owner he will sort it . its his business and he dosnt want to lose customers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭kinkstr

Would you prefer they were hanging out as a service station talking about plastic bits for their cars - or robbing your gaff?

:eek:

id prefer it if they acted like human beings and not cause annoyance to someone doing such a simple task of putting petrol in his/her car

in response to vasch_ro..

agree totally, cops will only react to complaints, or if it happens right in front of them, have seen one or two 'modified' pulled in traffic.

one point which may need clarification, if you decide to report these guys for dangerous driving, it will be YOU personally taking the case against them, not the cop you reported it to taking it against them using your statement as evidence. I do know this from personal experience which is why i did not continue with it. I did not like the idea of drawing that sort of thing down on top of myself personally, cops are paid to do, not me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

also in cork, i was with an (ex :D ) gf driving towards the wharf and some clown in a corsa with 'sexy' white lights tears out of no where and straight towwards the lights, only to see they are red

the law abiding citizen then missed out not having rear disc brakes as the car came to an almost 360 degree spin before coming to a half.

the girl in the passenger was laughing, she was german and goes, drive forward. i want to see who this is....... :rolleyes:

are they like this in germany, 'yes, but not as bad' :D

also at the famous esso joint, some boyracers wanted to know if my bmw was a rear wheel drive. :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Sorry edmund you are incorrect here . There are two ways you can bring a criminal prosecution to the courts in Ireland , one privately ( extremely rare ) or two via the DPP. 99.9999 per cent of all prosecutions are brought under the name of The DPP. in reality the Gardai do it for the District courts, they have a right of audience here as does every solicitor, so in this case it would be the DPP at the suit of Garda Edmund vs Vaschro. In this case the Garda would call you as the main witness assuming he/she did not see anything and the Garda would lead u through ur evidence, but the case would hang or fall on what u have to say.

maybe you should elaborate on your experience did you take a private criminal prosecution? This is so rare that it often makes the media when it occurs. Again you will only get the Service from the Police that you demand, you have a right to good service to drive on the road freely,SO DEMAND IT !!
    In regards to Boy Racers , its not only once they break the law the become a nuisance, but the sheer volume of them can be intimadating as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

elexes wrote:
    well speaking as a business owner who owns a business in a dunnes stores shopping center that " boy racers use " i see no problom in them using the shopping center as a gathering point to chat show new mods learn how to wire there newly aquired ice etc.. basicly anything they want to do once no one gets hurt or nothing gets damaged .

over the past year ive seen the shopping center car park get used more and more by them as there is no speed ramps and the surface is fairly smooth . saturday / sunday mornings when i go to open i do usually see the marks from donuts or drifting but tbh ive never seen one of the lads use the car park for the above activites while others were in the shopping center . or when others could get injured .

but yes there has been axidents in the shopping center using cars over the last year but alas not one was because a boy racer went into another person in the carpark its always farmers / old ladies / female drivers / people that dont read which way is one way signs . o and of corse the good old loory driver that went into the roof of the mc d's

if these " boy racers " had a aera which they could safely do what they want to do without the hassel of others who dont like what they would do im sure they would use it as im sure they are fed up of bing told to leave the aera .

but in the case of that petrol station tell the owner he will sort it . its his business and he dosnt want to lose customers

its because of idiots like that i have to pay 3000 euro for insurance. obviously if there doing stupid things like speeding around a car park there most likely dangerous drivers. I cant stand these idoits they think there so much better than everybody on the road because they spent 200 quid on a vauxhall nova and then 5,000 on stupid looking plastic and exhausts that dont fit the car.

If they think that looks good and want to spend there money on that thats fine everybody needs a hobby but dont act like a twat on the road and use large groups to intimidate people.

further on the Gardai thing.. One of the other popular meeting places for boy racers is McDonalds car park in Douglas, Cork. Quite often I've seen gardai pull up in marked cars, and have a long drawn out chat with the group of boy racers. Ok so maybe they're being told to move on is what I thought the first time but alas no, they were having a friendly chat about what they were up to at the weekend and the likes.

I suppose it helps to be pals with at least one member of the gardai if youre going to be a boy racer.

vasch_ro wrote:
    The Gardai can enforce the law. What has been described in the Thread sounds like driving with undue care and attention. They could check the cars for unlawful fittings such as Blue /red lights fitted to the undercarriage or bonnet of the the respective cars.
    (see thread re blue light on motor bike ). Check whether each driver has his Driving Licence on him/her and whether they are entitled to drive ( ie are they driving unaccomapanied , do they have L plates fitted etc etc )

Problems arise where people make allegations of say Dangerous Driving but will not follow thru in court ( which is understandable given lifes pressures etc ) thus if people phone the local cops and they can witness the driving behaviour themselves it makes life easier all round. What i will say about the Police is you only get the the service that YOU DEMAND !!!! The type of behaviour described by Duke Dredd in my opinion is completely unacceptable and people should phone the local cop shop about it , if they start getting a moxy load of calls they will have to react. I would also say that the Garage would have a duty of care in relation to the cigarettes on the forecourt . Thats my two cents !!!

not saying that this is acceptable but you broke my heart.

the only thing garda can do , stop them and check the papers.
    they can prevent them from getting petrol or do them for Dangerous Driving as they are actually parked in the petrol station.

only if they start do something very stupid like burning rubber, then maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

I don't agree with the idea of providing them with an area where they can go and play. These guys LOVE people seeing them driving around and making noise with those ridiculous exhausts. They wouldn't bother using it. Even if they did they would still be a pest around the place.

I tried pointing and laughing at a boy racer acting the maggot once. It worked like a treat - everyone should give it a try, it warms the heart.

my experiences (plural) were that an 'event' happened, in each case i duely got the cops involved, and was told seperatly by the different cops that I would be taking the action against the offender (not just road traffic offences). I also know this same advice was give to my gf for one issue, and to my sister for another seperate issue, in a different district. In all cases (about 5 in total, over the last 3 yrs or so) all advice given was identical, that the person making the complaint would be taking the case, not the cop, one thing that did stick in my mind was what one cop said to me, something along the lines of 'well i did not see it happen, how can i do anything about it?'. Have not bothered since.

Vasch_ro, feel free to pm me your phone number and the next time i see something similar i will give you a call and you can take a case with me as main witness, perhaps we can do something about these boy racers,

you are right, 90% of all cop activity is based purely on requests from the general public.

One final point, i would be very slow to even begin to start giving out about numbers of young drivers gathering together, i would consider these car modifiers who in my mind would be similar to say a group of 50 yr old weekend warriors on bikes. Without providing a place for these people to meet, socially , where else are they going to go?. Car parks etc are the best thing that is on offer to them in our society. Dont knock it, come up with a better solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

DukeDredd wrote:
    These guys LOVE people seeing them driving around and making noise with those ridiculous exhausts.

I agree,
    In Kildare we have Mondello Park. You can pay on certain days to bring your car onto the track and thrash around as fast as you like. So the facility is here.
    But we still have the boy racers f*cking around constantly...

Babybing wrote:
    its because of idiots like that i have to pay 3000 euro for insurance. .......

well, correct me if i am wrong but last insurance report showed something like

57% of involved were young
    and
    43% of involved were old drivers

but this also reflects the fact that there is lots of young drivers out there and this is only statistics

where fact is that your insurance is 3000 and my mum pays 360, she could be lower risk but she uses the same road as you, sharing it with all the mad drivers.

Boyracers came out of the woodwork only few years ago , but as far as i remember insurance was always OTT

prospect wrote:
    I agree,
    In Kildare we have Mondello Park. You can pay on certain days to bring your car onto the track and thrash around as fast as you like. So the facility is here.
    But we still have the boy racers f*cking around constantly...

well, track day only attract other group of people with fast cars. You are not allowed to drive typical 1ltr starlet and would you really pay 90 euro to drive it around the track

• Advertisement

i would only agree with this where boy racers are breaking the law, them meeting, socially and peacefully i have no problem with. Realise they may cause aggrivation to certain people, but what is next, stopping kids playing football on streets in housing estates? (my personal pet peeve). Appropriate reaction is better?. If they break the law (dangerous driving, whatever) then let them face up for their crimes. I think the reaction of a lot of people to these gatherings is coloured by the perception that young (male) drivers are solely responsible for all evils on our roads today.

Mondello park is a great resource, but i would question is it a suitable alternative for car modifiers?, and i mean all of them, all over Ireland. Remember most of these people want to show, not drive.

Advertisement