Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Boy Racers last night

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

the lad hoggin the petrol pump and giving the finger sounds like a pri€k. Most people at a meet would not act that way

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭edmund_f

exactly.. these people are all being tarred with the same brush, either being blamed as a group for the actions of a few, and also everything else that goes on on our roads. next to speeding, this seems to be the favourite thing to hide behind when asked about the state of our roads.. sure the speeding... and and the boy racers.

if some young guy/girl is acting the twit and breaking a law, then the punishment should be swift and severe. One thing i came across is in germany, where on passing your test if you get any ticket, of any kind in your first year you automatically lose your licence. Think the same in the UK, can remember something about 'little boy racer becoming little boy learner'?

but no, in Ireland, we have traffic watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ratchet wrote:
    well, track day only attract other group of people with fast cars. You are not allowed to drive typical 1ltr starlet and would you really pay 90 euro to drive it around the track

I don't think there is any restriction on what type of car you bring!

I am just making the point that faciliteis are there, (at least in Kildare), but that doesn't prevent boy racers acting the maggot. So I don't buy the logic that the poor boy racers have nowhere to 'entertain themselves' and thats why it's okay that they break the law, and endanger other peoples lives, (in the extreme circumstances).

As for the €90, if they can afford all the mods / body kits / lexus lights etc, they cant use the 'We can't afford it' excuse.

Also, if they are gathering in groups at service stations, why don't they form a club. Then they could book a track for a half day for €400 (ish). 15 cars = €27 each. And they get the track to themselves.

Personally I think they get a kick out of pissing people off, and even if they had FREE tracks to use, they'd still be hanging around pissing people off. I mean, a guy can't fill his car with petrol because of some ignorant scumbag, and then people try and defend their actions??? WFT!

**EDIT**
    I am not attacking all car modifiers, just those that act anti-socially.
    Personally, i think some of the cars can look fab, and doing up a car can be a great creative hobby. I am sure it is the few f*ckers that give the majority a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Joeface

after reading all these posts ,

What the gardai need is a Brian L spliner job , some one on the inside to take these guys down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

never seen small car boyracers at mondello track days possibly due to limited performance of the car and high possibility of writing off the car, not mentioning the fact that cars on the track are not insured. They prefer car parks etc

just for the info
    morning session in Mondello runs from 10 - 1p.m and cost 130 each

actually don't think they would allow 1 ltr starlets on the same track with GT3, RX7, M3, Z3 ITRs..... as it would create more problems for other guys

i still prefer to see them working and spending money on the cars, then nicking cars from the somebody’s driveway and joyriding it,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

ITRs ?

A half days renting of mondello track would stand you around €3,000- not €400, isn't it €300 for one car for the whole day !

Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely (ie. any deviation from original factory spec deemed illegal) as it contributes in no small part to road accidents and anti-social behaviour, the insurance companies have done their part by loading policies but more needs to be done, Gardai need to interrogate 'known suspects' and impound their cars immediately for obscured glass infringements and noise pollution offenses, those 'cruising' websites that orchestrate these gregarious meets and dangerous events need to be taken down immediately.

528i wrote:
    ITRs ?

................ those 'cruising' websites that orchestrate these gregarious meets and dangerous events need to be taken down immediately.

yeah, specially your favourite octane.ie girls club

spot the BMW man, ITR = Integra Type R

look at mondello.ie next time

Morning/Afternoon/Full Day
    National Circuit €130 / €170 / €260
    International Circuit€150 / €200 / €300

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

528i wrote:

Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely (ie. any deviation from original factory spec deemed illegal)

No, thats just silly. To what extent, eh? Cant change your wheels, tyres, stereo, wiper blades must be factory? I've no interest in car modification, but this idea is just BAD. The people who DO modify cars to be fast.....well, you cant SEE the mods :) An ugly body kit doesnt make a car any faster....

528i wrote:
    ITRs ?

A half days renting of mondello track would stand you around €3,000- not €400, isn't it €300 for one car for the whole day !

Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely (ie. any deviation from original factory spec deemed illegal) as it contributes in no small part to road accidents and anti-social behaviour, the insurance companies have done their part by loading policies but more needs to be done, Gardai need to interrogate 'known suspects' and impound their cars immediately for obscured glass infringements and noise pollution offenses, those 'cruising' websites that orchestrate these gregarious meets and dangerous events need to be taken down immediately.

you have to laugh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

528i wrote:
    Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely

While yer at it, get them to outlaw indicators, then BMW dont need to make them anymore

• Advertisement

edmund_f wrote:
    you have to laugh

yes, he is winding people up again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

Ratchet wrote:
    spot the BMW man, ITR = Integra Type R

look at mondello.ie [bla bla just confirmed what i said really]
    So a boy-racing 'itr' (under the same category as civics and starbos in my book) falls within the super-league of 'GT3, RX7, M3' in your book ?
    spot the boy-racer ;)

Its abit extreme I know, but something must be done to thwart this ever present (and growing in numbers) menace to society, these back-yard delinquents with tacky €2 bolt-on 'mods' that could disintegrate at speed or a good gush of wind are nowhere near as safe as what manufacturers (who've spent decades and millions of euros on research) are placing on their cars as standard.

One tries to outdo the other and before you know it you've got something resembling a melted spatula
    normal_front.jpg
    http://members.boards.ie/spacemonkeymafia/Front.jpg
    If it's outlawed, then theres no ambiguity, no middle-ground and that makes enforcement a whole lot easier for the Gardai.

We really need a petition (I can sign about 40names differently - if everyone else does the same and presents it to their local td they could be off our roads in no-time)

Well ITR is very good front wheel drive car miles away from starlet league :D

anyway, back to boy racers
    normal_front.jpg

oh, phuck

after that picture i changed my mind , 528I where is that petition again?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

528i wrote:
    Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely (ie. any deviation from original factory spec deemed illegal).

Everyone needs to lobby their TD's and local councillors to have 'car modification' outlawed completely (ie. any deviation from original factory spec deemed illegal)

Yeah i agree....rite down to the airfreshener we use in our cars!
    And everone should live in the same house and paint it the same colour and wear the same type and colour of clothes!

COP ON 528i

Nothing wrong with car modifcation at all! Its when some of the idiots break the law is what i have a problem with!
    The gobsh!tes that do act the bo!!ox in their cars are ruining it for all of us! Even you - your insurance premium is affected too!

Simple solution - more Guardi on the roads to nail these muppets when they do break the law!

Cant make it illegal to change your car from its orignal factory spec....lol....sure then we'd have to go to our car manufacturers for the exact bulb that was put in the car for its spec!!! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

heggie wrote:
    While yer at it, get them to outlaw indicators, then BMW dont need to make them anymore

LOL......Good one heggie!

Its true though 528i (not sayin you) but alot of BMW drivers dont use their indicators! :rolleyes:

Not havin a go at you! Cos im chaging my slightly modified (chrome mirrors and door handles, alloys and tinted windows....rest is standard) Ford Focus for a 2nd hand 318 Ci hopefully!!

AH JASUS HOW AR'YA........the lad that drives that corsa!!

MINGIN'!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,869 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

edmund_f wrote:
    i would consider these car modifiers who in my mind would be similar to say a group of 50 yr old weekend warriors on bikes.
    Eh? The citizenry of Ireland trying to go about their lawful car-park business are being harassed by marauding gangs of accountants and solicitors on BMW R1150RTs? :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

DukeDredd wrote:
    I used to have sympathy for youg guys like these not being able to get on the road because of insurance costs etc. Now i wish their insurance went so high they would have to cycle bikes. MIJAG has certainly lost my support if these are the type of people they represent. Which they bloody well do, no denying that.
    Not everybody under 24 is an 4$$h013, mate.
    edmund_f wrote:
    amazing the way these guys can uncover multi million euro drug rings but seem to be powerless against a few teenagers in starlets with mobile phones?.
    They're only loitering. Nothing more. Hogging the station, but doing nothing more. And as long as they pay for their petrol, the Gardai can't do squat, in fear of being brought to court for "harassment".
    Babybing wrote:
    use large groups to intimidate people.
    If ye support soccer/rugby/etc, and goto a pub, ye words count for nothing!
    rymus wrote:
    they were having a friendly chat about what they were up to at the weekend and the likes.
    So lads, what are ye doing this weekend?
    We're going to X, nothing much.
    Aye. Better be nothing more...

Basiclly, I'd say the copper was making sure there was no sh|t happening, such as car meets, etc. Also letting the boy/girl racers that the coppers are watching them.
    prospect wrote:
    In Kildare we have Mondello Park. You can pay on certain days to bring your car onto the track and thrash around as fast as you like. So the facility is here.
    But we still have the boy racers f*cking around constantly...
    Good for those who have improved their engine. The guys mod the outside of the cars, not their engine's.

As for insurance, no-one I know that has a modded car, has the modifications on their insurance. Its the risk they take. Car gets mangled, its a €200 car that gets mangled. If they put their mod's under their insurance, it'd go up, so they don't.

prospect: they don't all race. Those that do have good cars modded. Those who want to show off have sh|te cars modded.

Also, many of the 30 year old Celtic Tiger flashy car user are "boy racers". Note the word "flashy", and not "modded".
    edmund_f wrote:
    you have to laugh
    /me notices at least 80% of 528i's are in the Motors section. Course you do.
    528i wrote:
    Tell me how you'd spot this under the hood?
    bikenitroussystem.jpg
    You wouldn't see it, it make the car way faster. Or the car that you posted up, that proberly won't go faster (may have better grip if it has wider wheels), than a "normal" car.

Which is more dangerous? Which will go faster? The car with all the stuff on the outside, or the one with all the stuff on the inside?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭heggie

lets ban performance vehicles as well, mtec's, vtec's, mivecs, any imports, infact, lets ban everything except for micras - actually no, we should all be on ebikes, strictly unmodified ebikes, non of those unsightly bag holders

Most people that modify their car in ANY way, are usally more careful than the drivers of the sh1tboxes u see on the road everyday, u know the one's you'd never park beside unlesss u wanted a few dints in your door. Tho in sayin that i find at least half the glanza drivers i come across are idiots on the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Anybody else smell troll?

ninja900 wrote:
    Eh? The citizenry of Ireland trying to go about their lawful car-park business are being harassed by marauding gangs of accountants and solicitors on BMW R1150RTs? :D

i think you may be a little bit bias here?.. you get a gang of 20+ bikers pulling into a petrol station all blipping the throttle (esp the ones on harley davidsons) they would be just as intimidating as a similar gang of boy racers.

Anyway was more making the point (badly) that any law that would be applicable to boy racers would be applicable to weekend warriors, or in fact any group gathering. I was trying to bring the focus back on the illegal things they do on the road (which very few bikers do) and not on the fact that they meet up. Deal with the dangerous stuff first and you can deal with the anti social stuff later, or in fact while dealing with one you may automatically deal with the other?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭DukeDredd

They're only loitering. Nothing more. Hogging the station, but doing nothing more. And as long as they pay for their petrol, the Gardai can't do squat, in fear of being brought to court for "harassment".

So you would call it acceptable behaviour getting the finger from someone after politely asking them to move a few feet. And smoking a cigarrette beside the petrol pump. And revving engines intimidating people going about their business.

Maybe slapping a few ASBO's on their windscreens might do the trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

You know 528i, despite your anti-motorcycle bias I enjoy your posts and their trainwreck inducing powers.

DukeDredd wrote:
    So you would call it acceptable behaviour getting the finger from someone after politely asking them to move a few feet. And smoking a cigarrette beside the petrol pump. And revving engines intimidating people going about their business.

Maybe slapping a few ASBO's on their windscreens might do the trick!

would be more effective, and perhaps easier, to pull them up on their driving. I doube they would be as aggressive if they were trying to do the same from a push bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭clairey

dukedredd the way your going on in this thread I think you deserved it, sure even if I seen you id stick my finger up at you too :D

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

heggie wrote:
    I didn't realise they made them to begin with! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭gs39t

DukeDredd wrote:
    . And revving engines intimidating people going about their business.

I've never met anyone intimidated by the 'awesome roar' of a 1 litre engine :confused:

Integra's & Civics aren't 1 litre. And if they are VTec/Type R they can have a pretty intimidating "awsome roar" as you call it. And mostly it's not the engines either - it's the exhausts they have on the cars.

gs39t wrote:
    I've never met anyone intimidated by the 'awesome roar' of a 1 litre engine :confused:

you have now, Duke the girl

only messing, yeah some rear boxes should be taken off the market

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

the_syco wrote:

They're only loitering. Nothing more. Hogging the station, but doing nothing more. And as long as they pay for their petrol, the Gardai can't do anything.

Actually I think you'll find it is against the law to loiter
    the_syco wrote:

prospect: they don't all race. Those that do have good cars modded. Those who want to show off have sh|te cars modded.

You obviosly have no idea what the word prospect means.
    [QUOTE=the_syco}

Also, many of the 30 year old Celtic Tiger flashy car user are "boy racers". Note the word "flashy", and not "modded"[/QUOTE]

lol what the hells a celtic tiger flashy car.

Advertisement