Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which would you rather?

• 26-05-2005 11:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

I figure it'd be interesting to see this, especially after the interesting position of Liverpoolo and Cheslea this year

Which would you rather for your club? 50 votes

Win CL + 5th Place PL
    0%
    Win PL + LC + Semis of CL
    44%
    gandalfJimi-SpandexPiEsuper_furryTöpherChongjonnozAbbomilltownPigman IIquarrymanAPMThumper LongeirebhoyBig EarsBig NellyPacifico_blank_joe.Slash/ED 22 votes
    Win CL + 5th Place PL(Liverpool fans)
    24%
    tibortheCzarPHBknobblesSeanehChucky the treeVillainCianan2smemonDoctorEdgeWildBrian017applehunter 12 votes
    Win PL + LC + Semis of CL(Chelsea)
    32%
    damnyankssegadreamcastkaimeraWaylanderDapperGentLizardKingjesus_thats_greRE*AC*TORyom 1Dub13cruiserweightArdentianomccabeSherifumeditraitor~Rebel~ 16 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

obviously winning the CL tbh.

it's disappointing not to defend it but I think we'll take winning it instead :)

w00t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Interesting poll..after last nites scenes in Turkey id definetly want Celtic to win it even if it meant us finishing 5th in the SPL although not very likely to happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

Winning the CL is all well and good... but fifth?? If it was win CL and 2nd or 3rd in the league, then probably, but fifth... that's too low. Especially when you look at last year's CL final, or the final with real vs leverkusen. The CL seems like a bit of a joke, sometimes. I'm not saying liverpool didn't work hard or deserve it, but knock-out tourneys are always pretty random. Like, Greece are champions of europe? wtf? In knock-outs you always get over-achievers and under-achievers. But that doesn't really happen in a league. At least not nearly to the same extent.

If my club came first in the league, i'd feel a lot more comfortable about its long-term future than if it came first in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

Yeah - two mediocre runs in the CL and 2nd in the league is better than one incredible victory in the CL coupled with a slightly disappointing league performance *rolls eyes*. My arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

pity we didn't have this poll 9 months ago !

Winning the PL would still have been my priority, simply because it had been so long since we last did it, guess that alters my priorities in a way that pool fans wouldn't have to deal with, what with them having such an amazing history and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

the league has to be no.1.

if you win the CL and dont win the league in the same year, it probably means your a cup team that can do it once off but on a dialy basis, you cant hack it.

having said that its no mean feat. winning the CL. id prefer to be in chelsea's situation with 2 domestic trophies (the best and worst ones) and a respectible champions league campaign under the belt.

a side that wins the CL and cant qualify for it the next year aren't true champions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

The CL is the biggest trophy in club football bar none, winning it is rarer than winning the league in all but the case of Nottingham Forest and when you win it you win it in front of Europe and not just your own domestic audience. It is bigger and better to win, however, winning the league is a better indication of quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Slash/ED wrote:
    The CL is the biggest trophy in club football bar none, winning it is rarer than winning the league in all but the case of Nottingham Forest and when you win it you win it in front of Europe and not just your own domestic audience. It is bigger and better to win, however, winning the league is a better indication of quality.

well put

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Should say.....
    Slash/ED wrote:
    The CL is the biggest trophy in club football bar none, winning it is rarer than winning the league in all but the case of Nottingham Forest and when you win it you win it in front of Europe and not just your own domestic audience. It is bigger and better to win, however, winning the league is a better indication of CONSISTENCY

Takes quality and luck to win the CL , takes consistency and some quality to win a league.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Have voted in the wrong bloody cat, would prefer PL to CL but said was Chelsea fan.

I think that PL domination ala Chelsea would definitely be preferable to Winning CL but you take what you get.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

PL is better. BUt this is still brilliant. Its especially enjoyable considering we where such underdogs, and the stick we got before every match. Makes it all the more sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

The Premiership is the better trophy but i had to choose the champions league
    for the sheer fact that absolutely nobody gave us a chance -

Everybody wrote us off in every game saying
    we hadn't a hope against Leverkusen in the second leg even tough we were 3-1 up
    Hadn't hope against Juve even though we were 2-1 up from the first leg
    Hadn't a hope against Chelsea cos it was Chelsea
    and hadn't a hope against the class of Milan

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Given how the Champions League victory has completely and totally overshadowed Chelsea's Premier League victory this season, and last night's victory parade urinated all over Chelsea's attempt at it last week, I have to say it's gotta be the Champions League!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Winning the CL with a below par squad for the half the season when no one gave you a chance is a distinctly better feeling than winning the PL when everyone expected you, by 15 points having spent 200 odd million..

Realistically, as the PL is over 38 games, it is statistically more indicative of quality. There is no doubting this. Obviously, as a Liverpool fan, I wish our league form was a whole lot better last season but what can you do about it now..

I can honestly say that I am happier with the CL and 5th place than another 3rd or 4th finish. What does 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th mean in the context of history? Nothing..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I was trying to avoid comparisions to Chelsea and their money and the achievement of doing it cause thats not really the question :)

My problem with winning the CL and not the PL in the same year is that people will then say you aren't top of europe, you aren't even top of your country.
    When was the last time a country not no.1 in their league won it?
    Porto were, Milan were, I think, United were.
    Because they didn't have the quality to win the the league, I say quality because consistancy is a part of quality, it will overshadow the win to a certain extent.

As a United fan, if you gave me a straight choice next year, I'd pick the PL + Semis.
    I honastly could not take coming below 3rd let alone coming 5th!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Maybe the experience of winning it after being 3 nil down at half time is clowding all our judgements...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Errr no brainer, win the CL without a doubt !!!!

Advertisement